• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squad Selections

I would watch out for Morgan Stoddart this season, reckon he will become a good player and may push a place for the Lions Squad!

To be honest Ryan Jones's chance of being captain has become slim now due to the fact of the appointment of an entire Welsh Backroom staff (at the mo)

In all fairness, you can't fault Stoddart's attacking ability. Problem lies with his defence - obviously - so maybe Gatland and Edwards will spend time working on this with him, for he's the best attacking fullback in the country bar none.

Stoddart would also be a fine choice, he's still young and can develop with time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 27 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Stephen Jones does Lions team

God, even <strike>tiresome old farts</strike> talented journalists believe Sackey should start at 14... Are really that oblivious to Lamont's and S-Daniel's talent?[/b]

I don't think anyone is oblivious to Simpson-Daniel's talent; it's just that I think he has to prove himself for England before he plays for the Lions (in my book anyway). At the moment he keeps getting injured before he can pull on the white jersey.

If you take the Lion's 11 shirt and sew 'Williams' into it already, then there's one winger berth up for grabs. At the moment, Fitzgerald, Kearney and Earls are all hotshots being talked about for Ireland, but none have done anything at Test level yet. Horgan has but is probably a little old and slow. With either Lamont, they've both played for Scotland and only Sean has managed to distinguish himself from the disgrace that is Scottish backplay. But I'd still see him as short of a little pace... he looks good for Scotland because the rest are awful, not because he is setting the world alight. England have plenty of classy wingers. JSD I've already covered; Strettle is in a similar boat; Ojo and Varndell are off the radar at the moment and Banahan hasn't made the AI squad either. Which leaves Sackey.

I can't see the problem with Sackey. I agree he looks lazy and disinterested. But, fact is, he scores tries at the top level, which when you've got an overlap and 20m of space against the Boks, is exactly what you want. People talk about Sackey's defence but I can't actually think of a time when he's really let England down at all.

It may be a case of waiting till the 6 Nations for some of the youngsters to prove their mettle at a high level, but if we were touring tomorrow Sackey would be a solid option at 14, and I don't think he'd let anyone down...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 27 2008, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Oct 27 2008, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 27 2008, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but Lee Byrne is the best full back in Britain...and Ireland ;)
The backline goes something like this:

15. Byrne
14. Kearney (Sackey can kiss my arse)
13. O'Driscoll (I guess :/)
12. Gav
11. Shane
10. Cipriani (Whoever said O'Gara is the best 10 in Europe - LOL!)
9. Phillips (Or someone else)[/b]

Are you not forgetting Ian Balshaw?
And of course why not play Wilkonson there? This is the Lions and all.

Oh, what was Clive doing. You really were waiting for him to crack out the trusty 4-4-2 formation.
[/b][/quote]
Does that backline not please you? Who would you pick sunshine? Stringer, Horgan and Fitzgerald at 12, no doubt.
[/b][/quote]

Well no it doesn't please me. And no I wouldn't pick stringer or Horgan EVER, and not untill Fitzgerald gives some consistant form and class.

15. Byrne/Kearney
14. Kearney/Halfpenny
13. O'Driscoll (begrudgingly) I'd like to see Earls give him contestation.
12. Flutey/Henson/Fitzgerald. All Options
11. SimpsonDaniel
10. Not Cimpriani on Current form. I'd rather O'Gara or Hook. Even Jones before Cipriani at this stage. That'll probably all change after the 6N though.
9. Phillips. Really can't pick properly yet though. No outstanding contender.

I think Kearney's a better fullback than Byrne but I'd like to see Byrne and Kearney on the same pitch. Halfpenny is a good option for the back 3.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Oct 27 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well no it doesn't please me. And no I wouldn't pick stringer or Horgan EVER, and not untill Fitzgerald gives some consistant form and class.

15. Byrne/Kearney
14. Kearney/Halfpenny
11. SimpsonDaniel
10. Not Cimpriani on Current form. I'd rather O'Gara or Hook. Even Jones before Cipriani at this stage. That'll probably all change after the 6N though.

I think Kearney's a better fullback than Byrne but I'd like to see Byrne and Kearney on the same pitch. Halfpenny is a good option for the back 3.[/b]
Given that you've almost picked the exact same squad as Cyril, how can it not please you? :huh:
Also, you shouldn't really be picking Earls and not Cipriani, since neither have been tested properly at international level, and it would be incredibly hypocritical to pick one and not the other. Earls has had a good month, but can he keep it up for a whole year? Cipriani did last-season-pre-injury.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 27 2008, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Oct 27 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

15. Byrne/Kearney
14. Kearney/Halfpenny
11. SimpsonDaniel

I think Kearney's a better fullback than Byrne but I'd like to see Byrne and Kearney on the same pitch. Halfpenny is a good option for the back 3.[/b]
Given that you've almost picked the exact same squad as Cyril, how can it not please you? :huh:
Also, you shouldn't really be picking Earls and not Cipriani, since neither have been tested properly at international level, and it would be incredibly hypocritical to pick one and not the other. Earls has had a good month, but can he keep it up for a whole year? Cipriani did last-season-pre-injury.

[/b][/quote]

You know, you're right

15. Kearney
14. Halfpenny
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey/Fitzgerald
11. SimpsonDaniel
10. O'Gara or Hook.

Cut out some extra options and it's not all that similar. And on Current form. There my backs.

One question is the whole idea of not only having a captain but several other figures of authority. Much like Johnson - Dayglo - Back - Tindall back in 2003.

Who would be those authority figures in any eventual Lions Squad?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Oct 27 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 27 2008, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Oct 27 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

15. Byrne/Kearney
14. Kearney/Halfpenny
11. SimpsonDaniel

[/b][/quote]

You know, you're right

15. Kearney
14. Halfpenny
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey/Fitzgerald
11. SimpsonDaniel
10. O'Gara or Hook.

Cut out some extra options and it's not all that similar. And on Current form. There my backs.
[/b][/quote]
That is an insane selection. That backline would get crucified. Steyn, De Villiers, Fourie, Habana et al would be creaming in their pants.
Kearney is excellent, but I'd still go for Byrne. You'd say I'm biased but I see him every week and he is absolutely outstanding in every match.
Halfpenny is slight right now and very inexperienced.
O'Driscoll, alright because of no real standout 13, but I'd like to see Earls there by next summer.
Henson has to start at 12.
Sinbad should have a place in the team/22, but to leave out the best player in the world, who ripped SA to shreds in the summer is downright ludicrous.
O'Gara shats his bean when the pack aren't giving him an easy ride (which they won't be) and Hook should be playing second fiddle to Biggar right now at the Ospreys so.
Phillips, fair enough. We need another big guy, more limited than the other contenders but has extra size and muscle.

Go figure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 27 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Oct 27 2008, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 27 2008, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

15. Byrne/Kearney
14. Kearney/Halfpenny
11. SimpsonDaniel

[/b][/quote]

You know, you're right

15. Kearney
14. Halfpenny
13. O'Driscoll
12. Flutey/Fitzgerald
11. SimpsonDaniel
10. O'Gara or Hook.

[/b][/quote]
That is an insane selection. That backline would get crucified. Steyn, De Villiers, Fourie, Habana et al would be creaming in their pants.
Kearney is excellent, but I'd still go for Byrne. You'd say I'm biased but I see him every week and he is absolutely outstanding in every match.
Halfpenny is slight right now and very inexperienced.
O'Driscoll, alright because of no real standout 13, but I'd like to see Earls there by next summer.
Henson has to start at 12.
Sinbad should have a place in the team/22, but to leave out the best player in the world, who ripped SA to shreds in the summer is downright ludicrous.
O'Gara shats his bean when the pack aren't giving him an easy ride (which they won't be) and Hook should be playing second fiddle to Biggar right now at the Ospreys so.
Phillips, fair enough. We need another big guy, more limited than the other contenders but has extra size and muscle.

Go figure.
[/b][/quote]

I think Kearney is the man, he gave the SH sides hell in the Summer while the rest of the irish team were teating icecream. But I'm happy to have Byrne there too
You're right, Halfpenny is skinny. But he's on form and skinny guys can tackle the terminator if they have good technique.
I won't pick Henson.
I'm happy with O'Gara, feel free to call it Bias.

No point looking at this stage, form is all over the place. Wait till the end of the AI's and we'll have a better picture.

A couple of points though. Kearney is a full back. He already came back from a losing NZ tour after receiving praise from both Irish and NZ press for his performances. He's been solid all year and against Wasps, though he was playing on the wing (I think) he was still be best FB on the pitch.

Fitzgerald and Earls havent proven themselves at centre (be it 12 or 13). its too early to pick them.

Williams on the wing, assuming his form doesnt go to shite, is a must.

O'Driscoll is also a must. For how long have people been saying they cant find an alternative. Its because he's a class act lads.

O'Gara will travel, but he'll probably be behind Hook and Cipriani in the pecking order.

I'd watch for the combinations. Every previous tour has complained about not seeing enough of the players, so I'd be surprised if they dont go about picking a lot of these combinations like Reddan & Cipriani or O'Driscoll and Fitzgerald (if they play together in the AI's). Not saying they are the best, but the coaching staff have already mentioned the need to have the best 15, not the best players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 27 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No point looking at this stage, form is all over the place. Wait till the end of the AI's and we'll have a better picture.

A couple of points though. Kearney is a full back. He already came back from a losing NZ tour after receiving praise from both Irish and NZ press for his performances. He's been solid all year and against Wasps, though he was playing on the wing (I think) he was still be best FB on the pitch.

Fitzgerald and Earls havent proven themselves at centre (be it 12 or 13). its too early to pick them.

Williams on the wing, assuming his form doesnt go to shite, is a must.

O'Driscoll is also a must. For how long have people been saying they cant find an alternative. Its because he's a class act lads.

O'Gara will travel, but he'll probably be behind Hook and Cipriani in the pecking order.

I'd watch for the combinations. Every previous tour has complained about not seeing enough of the players, so I'd be surprised if they dont go about picking a lot of these combinations like Reddan & Cipriani or O'Driscoll and Fitzgerald (if they play together in the AI's). Not saying they are the best, but the coaching staff have already mentioned the need to have the best 15, not the best players.[/b]

Bravo. Tiz too early.

Halfpenny no. 14 (see how well he does for wales first), otherwise either Sackey or Bowe as 14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lukascd @ Oct 31 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Halfpenny no. 14 (see how well he does for wales first), otherwise either Sackey or Bowe as 14[/b]
AAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rory Lamont and James Simpson-f***king-Daniel!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Oct 27 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would watch out for Morgan Stoddart this season, reckon he will become a good player and may push a place for the Lions Squad![/b]

The one who was rounded by Bolla Conradie? :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 31 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Oct 27 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would watch out for Morgan Stoddart this season, reckon he will become a good player and may push a place for the Lions Squad![/b]

The one who was rounded by Bolla Conradie? :lol:
[/b][/quote]
In only his second test start? :lol:
Oh wait, it's less funny when put like that. <_<

Indeed, from what ive seen he attacks well but he's up their with Hodgson for crappy defense. Juan Smith skint him last year and also he was burnt by Percy :lol:

IAN BALSHAW!!!!! I LOVE THAT GUY! Put him in as the comic relief (though he has been doing ok at no 14)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lukascd @ Oct 31 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IAN BALSHAW!!!!! I LOVE THAT GUY! Put him in as the comic relief (though he has been doing ok at no 14)[/b]

I laugh when I see him play for England. But Ian Balshaw in a Lions jersey would make me cry.

Latest posts