• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Swimming

W

whatamunson

I've seen teams doing recovery sessions in the pool.
Can any of you experts explain the 'science' behind this?
Also how does swimming rate as a form of exercise geared towards rugby?
Mainly interested as my knees take a battering so I try and keep the running to a minimum other than in games and one/two nights a week training
Is swimming a valuable substitute for running?

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ Jun 17 2009, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've seen teams doing recovery sessions in the pool.
Can any of you experts explain the 'science' behind this?
Also how does swimming rate as a form of exercise geared towards rugby?
Mainly interested as my knees take a battering so I try and keep the running to a minimum other than in games and one/two nights a week training
Is swimming a valuable substitute for running?

Thanks[/b]

610x.jpg

Swimming my friend is the way to control your breathing style, I am a future doctor and we studied extensively about the role of swimming in management of several diseases

For example I have an bronchial asthma and I've been recommended to go for swimming and it did help to some degree

At the same time swimming coordinates whole body muscles, there is no muscle which is not working during swimming

All the muscles are incorporated in work, meanwhile the opposition of water is far great than that of air when moving inside water, so this poses greater work on musculature than rnning

And also the psychologists prove water has very good influence on a stressed and tired mind (that's absolutely abstract option)

And I think this is the reason some rugby teams use this gold standard method-swimming

swimming_2.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ Jun 18 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks, some good info there, much appreciated.[/b]

Oh welcome bro...

I greatly recommend you to take swimming hours for better fitness

Good Luck ;) ;) ;)

I used to swim competitively and found that it made me extremely fit, but when it came to running, my muscles weren't conditioned for it so I struggled. However, if you currently run a fair bit, there's no reason why you can't substitute a bit of swimming for running and see improvements in overall fitness. Just make sure you keep up the occasional run/rugby practice or your legs will not get on with you at all when you decide to use them on land

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jun 18 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I used to swim competitively and found that it made me extremely fit, but when it came to running, my muscles weren't conditioned for it so I struggled. However, if you currently run a fair bit, there's no reason why you can't substitute a bit of swimming for running and see improvements in overall fitness. Just make sure you keep up the occasional run/rugby practice or your legs will not get on with you at all when you decide to use them on land[/b]

Yeah right swimming alone doesn't mean all the fitness guaranteed for a rugby player

Instead Swimming can be a good adjunct to rugby trainings

Yeah, I dont want to just swim, I do plenty of running at training and during games.
But I'll be adding swimming to my regime now. Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ Jun 19 2009, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, I dont want to just swim, I do plenty of running at training and during games.
But I'll be adding swimming to my regime now. Thanks[/b]

Will be amazing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ Jun 17 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mainly interested as my knees take a battering so I try and keep the running to a minimum other than in games and one/two nights a week training[/b]
May be beside the point, but ground up nuts and seeds in your diet are good for joints.

I eat LSA every morning: linseed/sunflower/almond - proportion of 3/2/1 - mix a big spoon of it with porridge and honey.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 19 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whatamunson @ Jun 17 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mainly interested as my knees take a battering so I try and keep the running to a minimum other than in games and one/two nights a week training[/b]
May be beside the point, but ground up nuts and seeds in your diet are good for joints.

I eat LSA every morning: linseed/sunflower/almond - proportion of 3/2/1 - mix a big spoon of it with porridge and honey.
[/b][/quote]

Can you buy packets of this ready mixed? I already eat porridge and honey for brekkie so wont be a big adjustment.

If you're worried about your joints, supplement with glucosamine, i got a pot of 120 tablets from myprotein, and my knees are noticeably better after runs (i've had quite bad knees for a few years now) after taking these

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Jun 19 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you're worried about your joints, supplement with glucosamine, i got a pot of 120 tablets from myprotein, and my knees are noticeably better after runs (i've had quite bad knees for a few years now) after taking these[/b]

But before do not hesitate to contact Orthopedist ;) ;) ;) ;)

Latest posts