• RWC 2011 HB

Votes: 80 10.3%
  • Sidhe Rugby Challenge

Votes: 418 53.8%
  • Both

Votes: 279 35.9%

• Total voters
Learn to read.

If you're referring to the pre-release watermark on the video, I sure hope you realise that promises nothing. Sure there will be tweaks here and there before the release, but the final stages are putting the finishing touches on things, AI will have been programmed much earlier and is not easy to change just like that. If you're referring to something else please point me the right direction, otherwise get off your high-horse.

If you're referring to the pre-release watermark on the video, I sure hope you realise that promises nothing. Sure there will be tweaks here and there before the release, but the final stages are putting the finishing touches on things, AI will have been programmed much earlier and is not easy to change just like that. If you're referring to something else please point me the right direction, otherwise get off your high-horse.

i noticed playing today that the game had 5 difficulty settings. we played on very easy. im sure this plays a big part in the defence.

i noticed playing today that the game had 5 difficulty settings. we played on very easy. im sure this plays a big part in the defence.

Ahh good news. Just watching the vid again, is there an option for a quick-pick with the scrum half when he gets to the ruck?? To me that sounds like one of the selling points of the RWC game, does RC do anything similar or do you always have to go through the ruck process??

Ahh good news. Just watching the vid again, is there an option for a quick-pick with the scrum half when he gets to the ruck?? To me that sounds like one of the selling points of the RWC game, does RC do anything similar or do you always have to go through the ruck process??

you go through the process, but if quick ball is secured you can run with the scrum half.

When Rugby Challenge and RWC 2011 released their respective trailers recently my money was on Sidhe's RC game purely for the graphics. However after seeing RC's in game play trailer this evening I don't know so much anymore. I am not a fundi when it comes to video play or design but it seemed like RWC 2011's trailer included in game play graphics all along. After comparing RC's recent in game play trailer with RWC 2011 trailer I think RWC 2011 may still have the better game play after all and with regards to graphics there is not much to seperate the two.

Anybody else see it this way?

I'm starting to think RWC will be simple and grunty, whereas RC will be technical and flashy.

As long as they're both fun, I'll be happy.

When Rugby Challenge and RWC 2011 released their respective trailers recently my money was on Sidhe's RC game purely for the graphics. However after seeing RC's in game play trailer this evening I don't know so much anymore. I am not a fundi when it comes to video play or design but it seemed like RWC 2011's trailer included in game play graphics all along. After comparing RC's recent in game play trailer with RWC 2011 trailer I think RWC 2011 may still have the better game play after all and with regards to graphics there is not much to seperate the two.

Anybody else see it this way?

I think you are bang on.
I think the difference will be the depth of experience. RWC seems to be lest in depth, nothing really other than a warm up tour and WC. RC, seems to be more of a game/simulation, compoments of management and player development.

I wonder if RWC will be the decent chick that gives it away after a couple of beers, and RC will be the super hot chick that requires a numerous dates and phone calls prior to giving it up.

+1 for RC's online offering, with RWC not even having a ranking so good players keep playing good players this is a significant addition to the potential online longevity of the game:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/07/27/hands-on-jonah-lomu-rugby-challenge/

Note that they got the ability to view that in the lobby wrong. You can view gamer details in the leaderboards.

There is video footage of the Ireland hands-on session linked from our forums. This isn't the leaked video.

Another nice touch is that everyone who plays online will have a reliability rating. This means 'rage quitters' will be flagged, so before you start the match you can check your opponent's rating and if they have a a low score, cancel the game rather than waste your time.

So this isn't true?. Is there even a reliability rating?.

Yes there is, but you can't view it from the lobby. You have to check the leaderboards for that information.

I'm starting to think RWC will be simple and grunty, whereas RC will be technical and flashy.

As long as they're both fun, I'll be happy.

I've seen the latest video from a guy who was at the Ireland store trial.

I'm just glad it was apparently on easy. I've never seen such unstructured defence from AI before. It was like scrambling defence and people were just....everywhere. Backs in the thick of it and forwards out wide nearly all the time. It just seemed random who would be anywhere.

Please tell me that on the higher levels you'll find that the defence actually lines up as it would in real life?

Most other aspects look really good, but I'm a bit worried by how hard it was for people vs people to defend against each other. It seemed that defence was largely just the AI picking players up off the deck and throwing the nearest guy possible at the attacker. Very little in the way of defence was handled by the actual human players!

Yes there is, but you can't view it from the lobby. You have to check the leaderboards for that information.

Can the leaderboards be viewed during the lobby-player matchup? - can we see the player reliability before the game starts easily enough?

Knew it sounded too good to be true :(. Hopefully next time (wishful thinking) we can view reliability in the game lobby so we can avoid rage quitters. Leaderboards will probably have the best (most reliable) players at the top and therefore we won't really get to see all the rage quitters as they'll have crap results and tons of quits meaning they'll be right at the bottom or off the leaderboards completely.

Cheers Tyrone (I believe you may possibly be Tyrone from Sidhe?). :)

I haven't added to my recent posts on here and I should've, as from what I'm hearing RC's defence and overall structure is much better than what we've all seen from the Irish store trial, particularly as you go up through the levels of difficulty.
Yeah, that's me.
By all means keep the jury out until you play the game. I'm just describing how it was implemented in RC and the factors that influence the defensive structure.
Much of the "feel" of the defence comes down to a few key control variables/numbers (influenced by team stats, difficulty and field location) that are tweaked to balance each difficulty level. Picking the right numbers is key in getting it to feel right. I hope we've got it right for the majority of users. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's me.
By all means keep the jury out until you play the game. I'm just describing how it was implemented in RC and the factors that influence the defensive structure.
Much of the "feel" of the defence comes down to a few key control variables/numbers (influenced by team stats, difficulty and field location) that are tweaked to balance each difficulty level. Picking the right numbers is key in getting it to feel right. I hope we've got it right for the majority of users. Time will tell.

I've already squirreled away my money for both games, so release day I'll be out at 9.01am laying town the cash. :)

For me the jury is still out for both games, but I've often found that games can't be judged too well in the first day or so, you tend to need to rack up a few hours to get a genuine impression, which I'll definitely do.

I've got plenty of faith that you guys have done well with the difficulty balancing and I bet that's one of the harder things to get right. :)

I've already squirreled away my money for both games, so release day I'll be out at 9.01am laying town the cash. :)

For me the jury is still out for both games, but I've often found that games can't be judged too well in the first day or so, you tend to need to rack up a few hours to get a genuine impression, which I'll definitely do.

I've got plenty of faith that you guys have done well with the difficulty balancing and I bet that's one of the harder things to get right. :)

Never a truer word spoken in relation to games. I can only imagine the number of people complaining about each game on day 1 as it didn't work out how they had imagined. After reading some more about RWC11 I'm now definitely picking up both games, they both seem to have some cool aspects/features. I like the sound of RWC's depth at the breakdown, and the new defense stuff, feels like the games could get pretty tactical (which is what I like).

I think both games will offer the consumer two different takes on rugby. Neither will play alike.

Playing both after each other will be like having chocolate after cheese.

Latest posts