• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
As mad as it sounds. After the next RWC and considering his injury record dp.you thunk SOB may consider departing.
As you say any Leinster fan wants them all to stay but they is such a depth of backrow talent there it will be hard financially and in terms of minutes to keep them all happy.

But equally will they want to move. Like I'm sure they all believe they can be the best.

As I said though it a good spot to be in.

SOB might go but then again he'd struggle to get a big contract with his injuries.

@muff

I thought at the time that giving Sean O'Brien a 3 year contract was an odd decision. In the 3 years before this contract he started 16 games for Leinster and 12 for Ireland. In the 3 years of his current contract he's started just 16 games for Leinster and 10 for Ireland. While undoubtedly a great player, is 9 starts per season over the last 6 seasons value for money? He'll be 32 at the end of this World Cup cycle and have Dan Leavy, Josh van der Flier and Scott Penny also on Leinster's books. I hope he gets a huge contract at that stage, I'm just not sure the IRFU should foot the bill.

@muff

I thought at the time that giving Sean O'Brien a 3 year contract was an odd decision. In the 3 years before this contract he started 16 games for Leinster and 12 for Ireland. In the 3 years of his current contract he's started just 16 games for Leinster and 10 for Ireland. While undoubtedly a great player, is 9 starts per season over the last 6 seasons value for money? He'll be 32 at the end of this World Cup cycle and have Dan Leavy, Josh van der Flier and Scott Penny also on Leinster's books. I hope he gets a huge contract at that stage, I'm just not sure the IRFU should foot the bill.
That's my view. He's great player but not a vital player like I think Leavy and Van Der Flier will be ahead of him as 7s and as mentioned there is a glut of backrowers.

@Leinster Fan I'd disagree on him struggling to pick up a big contract in France or England. He would no doubt be highly sought after.

That's my view. He's great player but not a vital player like I think Leavy and Van Der Flier will be ahead of him as 7s and as mentioned there is a glut of backrowers.

@Leinster Fan I'd disagree on him struggling to pick up a big contract in France or England. He would no doubt be highly sought after.

Everyone would want him, but surely there'd be some trepidation about giving a 32 year old with a horrible injury record a big contract.

Everyone would want him, but surely there'd be some trepidation about giving a 32 year old with a horrible injury record a big contract.
We've seen the big spenders. They don't even look at that. There's been lads with much worst records get bigger deals.
I get what you're saying but they do not care on that

As mad as it sounds. After the next RWC and considering his injury record dp.you thunk SOB may consider departing.

I'd say he'll consider retiring if he can get alternative employment set up.

He'll know full well from working on the farm with pains already, that he wouldn't be able to help his da if he comes back from France half crippled.

That will be on his mind.

He'll know full well from working on the farm with pains already, that he wouldn't be able to help his da if he comes back from France half crippled.

That's true. He's a very active farmer even now. But the thing is it's not a reoccurring injury. He seems to pick uo a new knock all the time

From listening to him i don't think the injuries are taking a toll on him though. Its no injury that he keeps aggravating or a persistent problem thats impairing his workload. Every time he rehabs he talks about being in the best shape of his life and there's no reason to doubt that. He's just very injury prone when he plays. Its got to a stage now where he minds himself playing for Leinster and he still can't avoid picking up knocks.

I sympathise. I went through a period myself where the same thing happened to me. I'd get injured, recover, get an injury elsewhere, recover, rinse, repeat. Awful tragic for such a good player (him, not me;)).

The IRFU might offer a contract linked to playing time perhaps. Certainly O'Briens hand is weakened by the presence of Leavy and VDF. The IRFU don't NEED him and they'll surely make that known at the negotiating table.

No changes to the Leinster Heineken Cup squad which means no Conor O'Brien against Bath.

Lads check out this highlight reel of Larmours. It is actually incredible he's only been playing pro rugby for a year, he's scored/set up some incredible tries

Latest posts