• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
I think we're favourites and justifiably so, but Toulouse will rightfully think they have a decent chance. Assuming Henshaw is fit it'll be interesting to see who takes Lowe's spot on the wing. Adam Byrne is probably the most deserving but that'd force Larmour to switch wings. Daly is just back from injury and O'Loughlin is in the mix as well. Sexton being doubtful is worrying though (aside from the obvious fact that any team in the competition would miss him), Ross Byrne has proven himself as good enough to fill in at this level, but Frawley has looked shaky in recent weeks, maybe Reid on the bench to cover both an iffy Henshaw and an emergency option at 10 would be a better bet? Toner is dodgy as well but he's always fit and even if he isn't there's a world cup finalist there to come into the team anyway so not the end of the world.

No French team has ever won at the RDS (at rugby), this could well be the week that changes. I think we'll have just enough to scrape past them in what will hopefully be a great game especially as it's sold out (at the RDS which has a far more intimidating atmosphere than the Aviva) and it'll be live on free to air television in Ireland.

I'd have no fear about starting Ross Byrne. He has plenty of experience in European games, starting against Montpellier twice, Northampton once and playing 58 minutes plus off the bench against Exeter and Castres. He's started a Pro 14 semi final and has built up stacks of experience. That's why you build a squad.

Ciaran Frawley getting significant game time in the league looks like a great move now too given the injury concern over Sexton. He's not coming in completely blind to the task at hand having played in big games already.

I've a feeling Dave Kearney will start on the left wing this weekend.

As a more general point, does anyone expect the front liners to play in the regular season of the league again this season? The gap they have over everyone else in the table is massive. There's no point flogging Sexton, Tadhg Furlong, James Ryan, Garry Ringrose et al. Get them in peak condition for the Pro 14 and, hopefully, European Cup playoffs.

I'd have no fear about starting Ross Byrne. He has plenty of experience in European games, starting against Montpellier twice, Northampton once and playing 58 minutes plus off the bench against Exeter and Castres. He's started a Pro 14 semi final and has built up stacks of experience. That's why you build a squad.

Ciaran Frawley getting significant game time in the league looks like a great move now too given the injury concern over Sexton. He's not coming in completely blind to the task at hand having played in big games already.

I've a feeling Dave Kearney will start on the left wing this weekend.

As a more general point, does anyone expect the front liners to play in the regular season of the league again this season? The gap they have over everyone else in the table is massive. There's no point flogging Sexton, Tadhg Furlong, James Ryan, Garry Ringrose et al. Get them in peak condition for the Pro 14 and, hopefully, European Cup playoffs.
Ross Byrne is definitely up to it. He played a huge amount during last years pool stages and the team didn't drop at all. He's been brilliant in the league this season as well. Probably the best backup for Sexton we've had (including Madigan and Carbery) and you'd go a long way to find a backup 10 as good as him. That said, I'm a big Frawley fan but I'm not sure he's up to this level just yet. He'll get plenty of game time during the Six Nations though.

Our conference is all but over, we're a ridiculous amount clear, and none of the teams behind us look capable of making up the gap (and we've got five home games left). I'd be very surprised to see star players risked in those games (especially in a world cup year) unless someone is coming back from injury (SOB) or we get knocked out of Europe early.

Last edited:
... and out at the end of the season?

I highly doubt it considering his contract is for two years.

Leinster A side for friendly against Munster A tomorrow:
15. Rob Russell
14. Gavin Mullin
13. Jimmy O'Brien
12. David Hawkshaw
11. Tommy O'Brien
10. Harry Byrne
9. Patrick Patterson
1. Peter Dooley
2. Ronan Kelleher CAPTAIN
3. Vakh Abdaladze
4. Oisín Dowling
5. Josh Murphy
6. Martin Moloney
7. Scott Penny
8. Ronan Watters

16. Daniel Sheehan
17. Michael Milne
18. Jack Aungier
19. Brian Deeney
20. Cian Prendergast
21. Cormac Foley
22. Liam Turner
23. Hugo Conway

Fair 'nuff.

Although I reckon youse could make better use of the wedge and the NIQ spot at hooker.

Quite possibly but I can't remember us ever getting rid of someone in contract. I doubt we'll renew him but he'll see out his contract. In fairness if he wasn't injured he'd be pretty much guaranteed to be in the 23. The guy had a poor start but he could still be plenty useful.

Rob Kearney, Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw are likely to go to the World Cup. While he hasn't set the world alight in his few appearances thus far, Joe Tomane's versatility would be worthwhile when those players are unavailable. You don't have a long career in the NRL, Super Rugby, Top 14 and at international level if you're a bad player. The emergence of Conor O'Brien would also see Tomane play in his better position of wing and not be shoehorned into a centre where he's not as comfortable.

Jamison Gibson Park becomes Ireland qualified during the summer. That frees up a NIQ spot.

Rob Kearney, Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw are likely to go to the World Cup. While he hasn't set the world alight in his few appearances thus far, Joe Tomane's versatility would be worthwhile when those players are unavailable. You don't have a long career in the NRL, Super Rugby, Top 14 and at international level if you're a bad player. The emergence of Conor O'Brien would also see Tomane play in his better position of wing and not be shoehorned into a centre where he's not as comfortable.

Jamison Gibson Park becomes Ireland qualified during the summer. That frees up a NIQ spot.
Add in Fardy probably gone too. But Leinster will obviously be looking to avoid repeat of current 3 in to 2 scenario

I come across this picture every now and then and i always forget to ask. How on earth did a bank of scotland ad end up in an irish team's jersey?
Is there a backstory or something?

50816720_10156690239875617_2074130352523182080_n.png

I come across this picture every now and then and i always forget to ask. How on earth did a bank of scotland ad end up in an irish team's jersey?
Is there a backstory or something?

50816720_10156690239875617_2074130352523182080_n.png
It was Bank of Scotland (Ireland)

I think they set up as a full service bank here having already been a business bank. Didn't survive the market crash and are gone completely now as far as I'm aware.

Probably my favourite rugby photo though.

We call it the "topo gigio" celebration or the Riquelme celebration. Topo gigio was a kids show that featured a mole named Gigio

ac30b5caf02fc9302bd4560acd8ea814.jpg

In 2001 Riquelme (hope you know who this guy is) was playing for Boca Juniors. Boca faced River plate and before the game, Riquelme had received a lot of criticism. A LOT. Much of it came from Boca Juniors people.
So game starts and he manages to score a goal that wins the game for Boca and does a very particular celebration. Instead of running towards the stands he goes towards the center of the field while telling his teammates not to interfere. Once he is there, he stands, looks at the box where Boca's president sits and does this

f800x450-396203_447649_20.jpg

The camera went from Riquelme to the club president, back and forth several times which made the thing even more dramatic.

At the press conf when asked about the celebration Riquelme just said it was a tribute to Topo Gigio, and that was it.

The original purpose was, of course, to shut down critics (own and opposition), but i guess nowadays some people have used it as a tribute to Roman Riquelme.

Riquelme was, imo, nothing short of a genius, and i'm from river plate. I'm saying this as i am not particularly surprised other people, even from other sports, want to make a tribute to his career. I can understand how many in europe dont agree as his stay there was problematic to say the least.
In Boca, he is bigger than Maradona. I am not exaggerating. He is one of the very few people that called out maradona on his bullshit and came out on top.

A very complicated guy, but a guy of talent and principles. I recall felipe doing that celebration with the pumas jersey at least once, too.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (204) CAPTAIN
14. Barry Daly (29)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (54)
12. Conor O'Brien (11)
11. James Lowe (23)
10. Ciarán Frawley (9)
9. Hugh O'Sullivan (7)
1. Jack McGrath (139)
2. James Tracy (83)
3. Michael Bent (115)
4. Ross Molony (77)
5. Mick Kearney (44)
6. Max Deegan (34)
7. Scott Penny (3)
8. Caelan Doris (8)

16. Bryan Byrne (34)
17. Ed Byrne (35)
18. Vakh Abdaladze (4)
19. Jack Dunne (0)
20. Oisín Dowling (1)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (65)
22. Noel Reid (113)
23. Jimmy O'Brien (3)

Team for Scarlets. Great to see another player making their debut and it's about time Michaels produced a second row for the senior squad anyway. Does anyone know what's likely to happen with Penny if we want to play him in a Pro14 game duringnthe Six Nations?

Does anyone know what's likely to happen with Penny if we want to play him in a Pro14 game duringnthe Six Nations?
Good question.

There are no Pro 14 games each of the next two weeks so it frees up Penny to play for Ireland. No u20 6 Nations the week after that so he could play for Leinster. The first fixture clash is Ireland u20 away to Italy u20 the same weekend as Leinster host Southern Kings. He'll be surrounded by better players and playing better opposition in the Pro 14 that weekend so I'd say he'll be on Leinster duty if required. There are no further fixture clashes so he'll likely be on Ireland duty for the games versus France and Wales u20.

Good question.

There are no Pro 14 games each of the next two weeks so it frees up Penny to play for Ireland. No u20 6 Nations the week after that so he could play for Leinster. The first fixture clash is Ireland u20 away to Italy u20 the same weekend as Leinster host Southern Kings. He'll be surrounded by better players and playing better opposition in the Pro 14 that weekend so I'd say he'll be on Leinster duty if required. There are no further fixture clashes so he'll likely be on Ireland duty for the games versus France and Wales u20.
Leinster I believe will get 1st choice. Happened us with Calvin Nash in past. But also there is clear dialouge between 20s management and provinces too so there is clarity

Latest posts