• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Melbourne Rebels

This media release just in from the Melbourne Rebels; Lipman, Vuna sign
MEDIA RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, 24 May 2010

Rebels combine International experience and League youth
English 10-Test veteran and current captain of New South Wales rugby club, Warringah, Michael Lipman, has signed with the Melbourne Rebels. Born in London but raised in Australia, where he discovered his passion for the game at St Joseph's College before entering the NSW Waratahs Academy, Lipman was co-captain of Bath during Rebels Assistant Coach, Mark Bakewell's tenure at the English club.

"We've been in discussions with Michael for some time now and are delighted he's made the decision to come to Melbourne, having received the endorsement of the ARU. Since his return to Australia, Michael's attitude and achievements at Warringah, Rod Macqueen's club, have been outstanding. There's no doubt he will add metal to our forward pack and make a significant contribution to the establishment of our club culture." Bakewell said.

Lipman is keen to get back into top-flight rugby and the chance to play Super rugby is one he is more than ready for."Since I have been back in Australia I've had wonderful support and enjoyed the special team spirit at Warringah. I can't think of a better place to continue my rugby career than Melbourne with Rod Macqueen and his coaching staff." he said

Rod Macqueen and the coaching staff at the Melbourne Rebels are very happy with the way the new team is shaping up with the addition of two young league players with rugby roots. Recently signed 25-year-old Jarrod Saffy from Illawarra St George has been joined by 22-year-old Newcastle Knights winger, Cooper Vuna as the second Rebel convert from NRL.

In commenting on Saffy's decision to return to his original code, Bakewell said, "Jarrod has a strong rugby union background at national level with the Schoolboys, Under 21s and Sevens and when you combine those skills with the discipline and physicality he has learnt from the NRL, we have a rugby union backrower with a real point of difference."

Cooper Vuna was in awe as he had his first look at the recently opened AAMI Park yesterday.

"This is an incredible stadium and to play here in Melbourne presents such a great opportunity for me." Vuna said. "But my decision to become a Rebel next year is based as much on the off-field opportunities as the on-field. Rod Macqueen impressed me with his ideas about balance in life and what happens after rugby. I also want to make my dad proud."
the father of 3-year-old, Lincoln said.

"My time in Newcastle has been fantastic and everyone there has been a great support to me and my wife, Necia. While I'm really looking forward to next year and the big move, my focus will be with the Knights and my team mates until the end of the season."

Assistant Coach, Damien Hill highlighted Vuna's enthusiasm and athleticism in describing the young recruit.

"Coops is a strong, fast athlete who seems to relish the physicality of the game and he's young enough to make a real impact in rugby in the seasons to come. Cooper's having a strong season for the Knights, currently their second highest try scorer, which is his focus at the moment, but I know he's jumping out of his skin to start with the Melbourne Rebels in October."

The Melbourne Rebels now anticipates Mark Gasnier, the high profile player who made the switch from NRL to rugby, is likely to return to his League roots.

r307273_1344640.jpg

Last edited:
All Blacks/Chiefs lock Kevin O'Neill and Western Force prop Nic Henderson have signed to play for the Rebels.

Thought he was one of the standout players in the first Origins match, so unlucky on Rebels/lucky for Broncos

aww that's a shame. was looking forward to seeing him in action against our NZ players.

In the end rugby couldn't compete with the million dollar a season contract he has said to of signed with new AFL club Western Sydney. But that's another story.

a million a season.. crikey, if that were me, i would've taken the money as well. it'll only be for three years, he'll only be 24 when he's done then he can go back to league or union and try win a world cup.

Every time i see this i just can't help but think, what a waste of imports. They have used half of their quota already and they are **** poor by-in-large. what the hell rebels?

Every time i see this i just can't help but think, what a waste of imports. They have used half of their quota already and they are **** poor by-in-large. what the hell rebels?
Agree, the rebels are going to have a tough few seasons, shall be sitting at the bottom of the table i suspect. Lucky theyre in Melbourne, Melbourne seems to have less bandwagon supporters than other cities, so hopefully they get reasonably well supported.

Also shouldnt this thread be in the Super 14 forum instead of the general southern hemisphere forum?

Apparently Rupeni Caucaunibuca decided to play for Fiji against Australia for more than just a RWC spot. He is apparently looking to sign a S15 contract. If the Rebels arn't able to find a few bigger names than their current ones, than I'd say signing Caucau would be a terrific move, if not just for his performance, but also because he'll bring in crowds.

In recent times, the ex-Auckland Blues sensation has been wowing fans in the France Top 14 competition with Agen, reportedly bagging 13 tries this season from the midfield - where he apparently began his playing career before, as Fiji coach Samuela Domini put it, "he got too fast".
All the softly-spoken 29-year-old would disclose on Thursday was that he was "looking forward" to mixing it with the Wallabies in the hope of landing a contract with an Australian franchise for next season's inaugural Super 15 competition.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7341152/fiji-upbeat-ahead-wallabies-clash

I don't know how much of this is speculation, but getting Caucau back in the S14/15 would be awsome, even if he does have a gut any prop would be proud of.

Have you seen the guy lately? He's enormous! They're playing him in the centre at Agen at the moment and he just fills the entire midfield channel. Here's a video from this season:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen the guy lately? He's enormous! They're playing him in the centre at Agen at the moment and he just fills the entire midfield channel. Here's a video from this season:

He still owns though, it doesn't look like he has lost any pace.

He'd do alright in the ITM (Air NZ) Cup, but in the Super 15 he'd be exposed pretty quickly. He'd be the guy you bring on for the last 30mins, because he couldn't do it all day at that level carrying that sack of potatoes around the front.

Latest posts