• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Melbourne Rebels

Former Wallabies prop Rodney "Rodzilla" Blake is one of two new recruits announced by the Melbourne Rebels on Wednesday.
Blake, who established himself as a fan's favourite during his previous stint in Super rugby with Queensland, will join the Rebels for their inaugural campaign along with another former Wallaby in Mark Gerrard.
Tongan-born Blake is a lofty 190cm tall and weighs in around 130kgs and made seven Wallabies appearances during his time with the Reds from 2005 to 2008.
Rebels forwards coach Mark Bakewell said the 27-year-old was a more driven player following a two-year stint in France with Bayonne.
"From his experience, Rodney returns to Australia with a broader range of skills as well as the desire to be the best player in his position in the country," said Rebels forwards coach Mark Bakewell.
"We believe he can exceed the expectations put on him before he left for France and become a major asset for the Rebels and Australian rugby."
Former Test fullback Gerrard joins the Rebels from Japanese club NTT Communications.
He played 23 Tests between 2005 and the 2007 World Cup, after making his Super debut with the Waratahs in 2002 and moving to the Brumbies the following year.
Gerrard has earned 79 Super rugby caps and is third on the Brumbies' list of all-time point scorers behind fellow Rebel Stirling Mortlock and Joe Roff.
He scored three tries for the Brumbies in their 2004 grand final victory against the Crusaders
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7372510/blake-gerrard-sign-rebels

Decent enough signings.

Good to see Mark Gerrard back in Australia. He was one of the best full backs kicking around for a while there imo. After Chris Latham left for England I was hoping he was going to take over but the selectors went with Huxley, who incedently is at the Rebels now too, will be interisting to see who they go with. I remember Rod Macqueen saying after they singed Cipriani that they were looking at playing him at fullback but considering they have no other fly half and about 40 other fullback options I can't see it happening...

Herald Sun is reporting that Blues loose forward Tom Chamberlain has joined the Rebels.

Herald Sun is reporting that Blues loose forward Tom Chamberlain has joined the Rebels.

Now that there is a good signing.

Young, extremely talented, uncapped internationally (poachable), and full of youthful enthusiasm.

I dont envy his stay in Melbourne though, hes what 22? He will be wanting to party it up on a saturday night after the games, whereas his teammates will all be settling down to watch coronation street, prunejuice in hand.

ciprianni is listed as a fullback?? mortlock what a guy is he any good still?? also whats going to happen to their academey are they just going to set up a youth system during the season?

I hope thats not it, I'm not a fan. Would be good if a baseball franchise ever opened up in Melbourne.

Mark Gasnier is going back to NRL, so that removes him.

That roster for Melbourne looks interesting though. They will probably have growing pains but I can see them being somewhere soon enough.

That was the logo for the team that played in the ARC (Mazda Austrailian Rugby Championship) back in 2007.
See this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_Championship
and this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Rebels_(ARC)

Whilst this team definitely is influenced by the former, surely they are going to come up with a new logo, etc...

I personally thought that the ARC had potential...shame really.

I found this photo on their official site:
Melbourne_S15_Press_Conference_IMG_0284%20(Large).jpg

Looks like this is the new kit.
Who knows, though, to be honest.

Thats the style that has been said. So I presume thats it.

On another note Rebels will try and tempt BOD and Heaslip after World Cup.

Latest posts