• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Great actor was Alan Rickman. Great presence on screen. RIP

I saw the Star Wars film a few weeks back. I'm not the biggest star wars fan in the world but this was a massive let down. Its like something they threw together to make money. The girl was a master at everything and the new baddie was like a teenage goth whow throws a lot of tantrums.

Ffs. Last two years death has waged an all out assault on my childhood. R.I.P.

Not a good week to be a 69 year old beloved English celebrity.

Hard to believe that Rickman started his career in his 40s. Played one of the best villains even if he wouldn't consider him one, actually is Snape for any Harry Potter fan and his a heap of other incredible performances be it the Sheriff of Nottingham, Dev or Emma Thompson's husband.

He made everything he was in better just by being in it.

RIP.

Last edited:
If you liked the film, you really should read the book !
It's great.

yeah ive heard there are a lot of things the film missed out so i'll be sure to pickup the book at some point

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to believe that Rickman started his career in his 40s. Played one of the best villains even if he wouldn't consider him one, actually is Snape for any Harry Potter fan and his a heap of other incredible performances be it the Sheriff of Nottingham, Dev or Emma Thompson's husband.

RIP.

you forgot to mention 'Hans Gruber' in Die Hard!

RIP.
Gayyyyyyyyyy. Nobody cares about anything you have to say

What's everyone's views on the oscars is white thing?

Not meaning to open a can of worms here.

i think its terrible if black actors/actresses are being overlooked purely for their colour but on the flip side i also think its wrong to include someone as a nomination just for the sake of diversity. if someone's performance doesn't warrant a nomination then they shouldn't be nominated, regardless of colour/gender etc. The sad thing is though there have been some great perfomances by black actors/actresses that seem to have been overlooked, for example Idris Elba. Whether this was because of their colour is speculation although its not hard to believe that the Oscars are somewhat dodgy in their methods anyways. so yeah thats what i think

- - - Updated - - -

As a fan of Cloverfield the trailer for the new film was a great surprise.

Looks interesting.

i think its great a film was kept a secret for so long!. too often now we see a billion trailers before we see a film so it was refreshing to just see a trailer and have no idea that the film even existed!

i think its terrible if black actors/actresses are being overlooked purely for their colour but on the flip side i also think its wrong to include someone as a nomination just for the sake of diversity. if someone's performance doesn't warrant a nomination then they shouldn't be nominated, regardless of colour/gender etc. The sad thing is though there have been some great perfomances by black actors/actresses that seem to have been overlooked, for example Idris Elba. Whether this was because of their colour is speculation although its not hard to believe that the Oscars are somewhat dodgy in their methods anyways. so yeah thats what i think

Trouble with the Oscars is that a Oscar film can be very different compared to a general public film.

I don't think it is about race personally I think it is more of the fact that Oscars nominations in the first place tend to go with the art house flicks more than any other.

Trouble is I have zero respect for the people who started the whole movement Spike Lee and Jada Smith both are irrelevant in film industry no one for making a string of poor films, the other is only famous for marrying Will and has no acting talent of her own.

I hope it doesn't go the way of South African Rugby.

Mind I think Oscars are pointless on the whole once Leo wins his (which he is desperate for) I won't give a fuk about it again. Film awards are just to massage egos IMO.

The number of black people being nominated/represented is broadly in line with the population.

It's Latin Americans that are being screwed over.

Although admittedly, no nominations for black people in two years, effectively 0/40 nominations, when the expected value should be approximately 4, is a little unexpected.

The Oscars are a bit crap though.

20160123_woc197.png

Last edited:
The number of black people being nominated/represented is broadly in line with the population.

Although admittedly, no nominations for black people in two years, effectively 0/80 nominations, when the expected value should be approximately 8, is odd.

20160123_woc197.png

I wonder under which category does Charlize Theron fall...

She's an African (South African) living in America... So basically she's African-American...

Watched Pacific Warriors on Netflix last night, great film if you haven''t seen it I would highly recommend it

Mind I think Oscars are pointless on the whole once Leo wins his (which he is desperate for) I won't give a fuk about it again. Film awards are just to massage egos IMO.

on this note i watched 'Wolf of Wall Street' for the first time the other day, absolutely phenomenal. hard luck not getting an oscar for that. although to be fair he lost to Eddie Radmayne's perforamnce in the theory of everything and he was amazing in that so i kinda get it. Leo will get it one day! lol

EDIT: actually i got that wrong, eddie redmaynes win was the following year, leo lost to Matthew McConaughey in Dalla's buyers club, which i havnt seen yet so cant really pass judgement

Last edited:

Although admittedly, no nominations for black people in two years, effectively 0/40 nominations, when the expected value should be approximately 4, is a little unexpected.

There's also some natural variation that comes form a low population though.

However I also remember 2002 "lets give it to people for being black year" - also look up honoury award that year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/74th_Academy_Awards

Honestly the issue is actually the films that are being deemed Oscars worthy and racial diversity within those films not the Oscars themselves. You can't make 12 years a slave every year.

There's also some natural variation that comes form a low population though.

However I also remember 2002 "lets give it to people for being black year" - also look up honoury award that year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/74th_Academy_Awards

Honestly the issue is actually the films that are being deemed Oscars worthy and racial diversity within those films not the Oscars themselves. You can't make 12 years a slave every year.

Exactly. And it seems like the only time a movie like that gets the nod for the Oscars, is when it is about slavery. But surely there comes a time when milking a certain topic or era gets to the point where it loses interest or isn't that noteworthy of movies.

Latest posts