• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ultimate Fate of the Universe

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Well Jesus said he is going to save all the believers in the Rapture so I will be partying it up in heaven with 72 virgins while the hordes of the devil roam the Earth killing the sinners....

And are you calling Jesus a liar?
[/b]

Yes. Simply yes.
[/b][/quote]
Well enjoy eternal damnation, I'll send you a postcard. [/b][/quote]
May I please have a postcard as well?

The "Heat Death" theory sounds interesting as it goes against everything I have learned about the laws of entropy in thermodynamics.

I like the sound of the Big Crunch, god knows how people can predict stuff like that. I mean, we are like 1 million billion trillionth of a percent with respect to the entire universe yet mathematical theories can be applied to govern the universe as a whole. Trippy.

I wonder what is "outside" of the universe eh. What will be left when the universe eventually falls victim to the Big Crunch? What if the universe is simply an atom in another world? Imagine if there are trillions of universe's just like ours that make up tiny atoms of an alien life form, and the life time of our universe is only a tiny portion of the alien universe' life time? And imagine if this chain reaction carries on for millions of other "outside of this universe alien life forms"?

May I please have a postcard as well?[/b]
No, you much share, that is the ultimate punishment of hell, muhaha!
I wonder what is "outside" of the universe eh. What will be left when the universe eventually falls victim to the Big Crunch? What if the universe is simply an atom in another world? Imagine if there are trillions of universe's just like ours that make up tiny atoms of an alien life form, and the life time of our universe is only a tiny portion of the alien universe' life time? And imagine if this chain reaction carries on for millions of other "outside of this universe alien life forms"?[/b]
Well there is different universes in differing dimensions, I suppose that counts.

I was speaking to a former buddhist monk who worked at the local petrol station and used to teach us various buddhist theory, he told us according that some of the higher theories were that the universe ran in cycles, the universe would end and another one would begin from scratch. Apparently some of the higher level monks with the highest level of enlightenment coudl not only remember thier past lives but also past lives from difference existences of the universe...that is nuts if you ask me...but if a big crunch occured and the universe was compressed into singularity could it be possible that the 'big bang' could not occur again as the area would not be able to contain all the mass in the single point? Hence making it a giant accordian of destruction and recreation of the universe?

<div class='quotemain'>
I wonder what is "outside" of the universe eh. What will be left when the universe eventually falls victim to the Big Crunch? What if the universe is simply an atom in another world? Imagine if there are trillions of universe's just like ours that make up tiny atoms of an alien life form, and the life time of our universe is only a tiny portion of the alien universe' life time? And imagine if this chain reaction carries on for millions of other "outside of this universe alien life forms"?[/b]
Well there is different universes in differing dimensions, I suppose that counts.

I was speaking to a former buddhist monk who worked at the local petrol station and used to teach us various buddhist theory, he told us according that some of the higher theories were that the universe ran in cycles, the universe would end and another one would begin from scratch. Apparently some of the higher level monks with the highest level of enlightenment coudl not only remember thier past lives but also past lives from difference existences of the universe...that is nuts if you ask me...but if a big crunch occured and the universe was compressed into singularity could it be possible that the 'big bang' could not occur again as the area would not be able to contain all the mass in the single point? Hence making it a giant accordian of destruction and recreation of the universe?
[/b][/quote]

That is probably one of the most interesting theories I have heard of and it's even more plausible than most of the ridiculous theories I have read about. So basically it goes, big bang, expansion, contraction, big bang..... All that energy wouldn't just disappear if the universe were to reverse on itself, so all that concentrated matter would return back to the same initial state it was at during the first big bang.

Very interesting.

Very interesting topic. :)

I now have a headache and although i love this kind of thing i can't actually think about it without getting extremely confused. The universe is something we will never understand.

In our lifetimes it will not be possible to travel into it far enough to understand what is happening, although we can attempt to understand.

As far as we know, we could be so far off we are predicting things we are on par with the old myth that if you sailed long enough on the ocean you'd fall off the planet.

But i clearly believe that the universe is something special and so are humans, but we are clearly isolated and this makes it all the much more confusing.

I would imagine that the universe is just there it has always been there, and that there maybe other universes and dimensions. Certainly, our universe could be the latest or newest universe with the whole big bang thing. The whole argument is so infinite that you could almost make anything up and it could be possible.

I always wondered how dinosaurs appeared on earth. I would believe that there are other races that maybe long extinct or moved on that have populated the earth with humanoids and repitlians and maybe plants. The rest is just a natural progression.

But then again you are getting into Zacharia Sitchin country and that is just to far fetched to believe.

Alright I haven't read all this but let me just say this: trying to contemplate infinity and eternity is so difficult (as really trying to understand it) it makes my head hurt and I've come to the conclusion that we humans simply aren't equipped to understand it and probably never will.
God, life, death, the universe, they're all ultimately things we'll never fully understand, so to hell with it all and lets go play some rugby (after all, if the Christians are right, we'll need to get as much practice in as we can because it's the game they play in heaven ;) ).

I would imagine that the universe is just there it has always been there, and that there maybe other universes and dimensions.
[/b]
I think alot of the astrophysicists have agreed that the Big Bang makes perfect sense, and you know how they love all thier maths to prove things...and maths is always true!
I always wondered how dinosaurs appeared on earth. I would believe that there are other races that maybe long extinct or moved on that have populated the earth with humanoids and repitlians and maybe plants. The rest is just a natural progression.
[/b]
Asteroids with bacteria and other materials hit the earth and combined with the various chemicals we already had to act as the building blocks of life, and the rest was all just evolution to whatever the climate and world was liek at that moment. I was reading a article yesterday about a rock that is smoth as anything and has concentric lines around the side, man made, apparently over 2 billion years ago out of a now unknown material.....total hoax as man wasn't even around then but it'd be interesting if it was real...

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

That is probably one of the most interesting theories I have heard of and it's even more plausible than most of the ridiculous theories I have read about. So basically it goes, big bang, expansion, contraction, big bang..... All that energy wouldn't just disappear if the universe were to reverse on itself, so all that concentrated matter would return back to the same initial state it was at during the first big bang.

Very interesting.
[/b][/quote]
I've read that somewhere and it is, in fact, an accepted scientific theory and imo definately the most likely because it all makes sense in the way you just described it.

I've read that somewhere and it is, in fact, an accepted scientific theory and imo definately the most likely because it all makes sense in the way you just described it.
[/b]
What? The universe expanding and then contracting into singularity and then the big bang occuring again? I just made that up from my extremely limited understanding of black holes and the theory of the big bang, I should be a scientist! :p

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
What? The universe expanding and then contracting into singularity and then the big bang occuring again? I just made that up from my extremely limited understanding of black holes and the theory of the big bang, I should be a scientist! :p
[/b][/quote]
Well, the Big Bang and Big Crunch theories occuring, then the whole process happening again is what I read. The universe will always be, in this case as it will always be remade. Unless the Heat Death occurs sometime and all the universes energy just wears out after a few Big Bang/Crunch/Bang occurences.

I think the Big Bang -> expansion -> contraction -> big crunch -> big bang -> expansion -> contraction -> big crunch cycle is the most plausable.

It's been a few years since studying this subject, but haven't scientists proved that the universe is expanding, but also that the rate of expansion is slowing. This goes someway to proving the big bang theory, but it also proves that at some point the universe will stop expanding. When this happens the gravitational forces that exist between every object will mean the universe will start shrinking, gaining speed until it eventually collides back together in an implosion/explosion and the whole this starts over again.

were probably all wrong though, as people were when they thought the world was flat.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Well, the Big Bang and Big Crunch theories occuring, then the whole process happening again is what I read. The universe will always be, in this case as it will always be remade. Unless the Heat Death occurs sometime and all the universes energy just wears out after a few Big Bang/Crunch/Bang occurences.
[/b][/quote]

Energy can neither be destroyed or created. Based on that very fundamental law alone an event such as the Heat Death is not likely. Energy has to go somewhere, it can't just fade out.

What dullonien said is what I think is the most likely event, and it certainly makes the most sense.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Energy can neither be destroyed or created. Based on that very fundamental law alone an event such as the Heat Death is not likely. Energy has to go somewhere, it can't just fade out.

What dullonien said is what I think is the most likely event, and it certainly makes the most sense.
[/b][/quote]
Yeh I know that, I think I just worded what I meant wrong. <_< What I meant was, if everything in the universe crashes into a black hole singularity again and again and again, then the amount of resources and stuff in general would be less, wouldn't it? Less stars, galaxies and light? Or would everything restart like it was when THIS universe was born? So everything is the same?

All matter will be the same amount, if it goes into a singularity and a big bang occured it would have to get to a certain heat etc. to explode or whatever and all the gases woudl come out, I forgot what they are, and from that everything expands and when it cools they start to bunch together and various things like planets etc. form, as matter is not lost everytiem a big bang occurs the same amount of mass will be spewed out, there may be less stars but this would be balanced by larger stars forming...the new cycle would have the same amount of mass yet varies on size and quantity...

It would be like throwing a paint ball on the ground, they would spread out into the same type of patterns every time you threw it down but would still contain the same amount of paint in each capsule....

I would assume anyway...

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Yeh I know that, I think I just worded what I meant wrong. <_< What I meant was, if everything in the universe crashes into a black hole singularity again and again and again, then the amount of resources and stuff in general would be less, wouldn't it? Less stars, galaxies and light? Or would everything restart like it was when THIS universe was born? So everything is the same?
[/b][/quote]

Think of it like this (well, this is how I explain it):

The big bang was the result of a massive build up of concentrated matter (energy) which was so big and unstable it exploded. Ever since the big bang, the universe has been expanding (it's basically a never ending expansion, as a result of the magnitude of the big bang).

If the universe suddenly stopped expanding, and contracted back towards the original position of the big bang I just assume we will be left with a small amount of energy (the remains of the pre existing universe) which will follow the same process as before and keep on building up until it becomes unstable again (so huge) resulting in another big bang.

In no way is this proven obviously, but it's definitely the most logical explanation I have known.

Think of it like this (well, this is how I explain it):

The big bang was the result of a massive build up of concentrated matter (energy) which was so big and unstable it exploded. Ever since the big bang, the universe has been expanding (it's basically a never ending expansion, as a result of the magnitude of the big bang).

If the universe suddenly stopped expanding, and contracted back towards the original position of the big bang I just assume we will be left with a small amount of energy (the remains of the pre existing universe) which will follow the same process as before and keep on building up until it becomes unstable again (so huge) resulting in another big bang.

In no way is this proven obviously, but it's definitely the most logical explanation I have known.
[/b]
Right, that helped explain. (No sarcasm.)

Well, the first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be destroyed, just converted from one form to another.

Therefore, the energy might be converted into different things, but the same amount of energy will the present.

Edit/ The universe won't expand forever, the effect of gravity prevents this. Gravity is slowly slowing down the rate of expansion. Think of it like when a ball is thrown in the air, it'll slow down untill it stops and then falls back down to earth.

Interesting topic but I'm with the 'I don't even try understand it' group.
The big bang theory does makes, umm, 'sense' but how all that matter got there in the 1st place is something so out of our understanding/reality/realm it'll probably turn our brains to **** if we tried to grasp it.
I'm just gonna enjoy the ride on this one in a zillion freak of nature we call Earth.

Latest posts