• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tony Ward's 30 man Ireland squad for the world cup

Because picking the best players is not a part of the Irish coaching mentality.

Agreed but we have to remember Deccie is fighting for his job (although I hear a 2 year extension is in place)
And also it hard to pick TOL on the basis he has only a handful of games since January and Flannery is probably on par with him for match fitness.

Tomas O'Leary is what, third choice at Munster at the moment? If Kidney actually brings him it'll be beyond a joke. I'd have Reddan, Boss, Stringer, Murray and Murphy over him.

Tomas O'Leary is what, third choice at Munster at the moment? If Kidney actually brings him it'll be beyond a joke. I'd have Reddan, Boss, Stringer, Murray and Murphy over him.

I would have
Louis-Walsh.jpg

Over TOL

Changes compared to Deccie that I'd make.
Sherry ahead of Varley.
Murray to go over TOL or Reddan.
Shaggy over Trimble. Shaggy is as versatile and height and form are on his side.
In the pack Jennings over Leamy. Heaslip still has cover at 8 as Wallace and SOB can play their.
I think also Jones has to be given a chance as Geordan and Kearney weren't in great form and are still suspect to injury. Accepted Felix is prone to injury too but has form.

I think also Jones has to be given a chance as Geordan and Kearney weren't in great form and are still suspect to injury. Accepted Felix is prone to injury too but has form.

Stephen Ferris - Prone to Injury.
Felix Jones - Got unlucky twice.

Stephen Ferris - Prone to Injury.
Felix Jones - Got unlucky twice.

2 serious injuries but has had a few minor injuries but agree nothing out of ordinary except for the 2 major injuries which were unlucky. Point is Jones suffered those injuries due to being 100% dedicated (especially the neck injury) He is a brave, dedicated and good player. I don't think this has been highlighted but Jones is in fine form now but before his injuries any time he was on the field he also was in fine form and I think is definitely a deserving player if he goes to RWC.

If you're looking for someone to take as 3rd flyhalf surely that should be iHumph?
Doesn't have the versatility of Wallace, but a much better 10

No, for two reasons.

1) The 3rd fly-half option will be used so rarely it makes more sense to bring a player who can play there but is useful elsewhere. Mincer's not been in great form, but he's still nearly as good a 12 as D'Arcy imo, and offers something different too.

2) iHumph is absolutely insane. He is Ireland's 3rd best fly-half its true, but he routinely goes missing in defence and makes some bizarre, bizarre choices at times. I love him, ball in hand and on form he's equal to Sexton/ROG if not better, but he's not the sort of player Kidney will want to take if he can at all help it.

Agreed but we have to remember Deccie is fighting for his job (although I hear a 2 year extension is in place)
And also it hard to pick TOL on the basis he has only a handful of games since January and Flannery is probably on par with him for match fitness.

I remember the IRFU doing that before the last WC. That didn't go too well.<_<

why dosen't deccie pick horgan? it's unfair to not pick a good on form player just because you don't like him.

i hope deccie dosen't make the same mistake as o'sullivan why would you pick 3 scrum halves is beyond me.

Latest posts