• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 2: Blues v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Because Gatland's coaching. Had it been Schmidt or Jones, things would've been different

Alas Schmidt or Jones (No? Fine, never mind).

Having turned up to the pub a day early this morning for the Blues game I suspect I'm more excited than I realised.

I've no complaints about the line up as such, slightly concerned about the scrum as Lawes isn't known for his strength but know he offers a lot elsewhere.
I might be mistaken but I believe Biggar's kicking percentage isn't far off H/penny's, which does possibly point toward Gatland's thinking regarding the test side (otherwise why not ensure all 3 of your 10s are well practiced off the tee in game situations?).

If I have a concern it's that we're still gonna be testing out combinations, etc when playing the Crusaders on Saturday. Kinda inevitable I guess but they're a hell of a team to go up against while still working things out (are they the strongest outside of the test side?).
Getting a bit ahead of myself I know but I just hope that we can all keep some perspective if they turn us over - my fear is that if it happens, the press will get hysterical and the Lions will be busy fighting a rearguard as a result (IMHO Gatland's spikey response to the 'warrenball' comments haven't helped either but maybe I'm over-estimating the impact of such things).

Having turned up to the pub a day early this morning for the Blues game I suspect I'm more excited than I realised.

Have a likes this for your enthusiasm. :)

FYI - the election is on Thursday, so don't turn up tomorrow morning to try and vote.

Last edited:
Where is west? I haven't seen him in blues matches recently. Injured? Perhap Umaga reckons the lions will pick on his size. Chances are they will do it no matter who is 10. Is this new lad a bit beefier?

West can be a bit hit and miss. Francis has been first choice, but he is now with the England squad. Bryn Gatland was part of the Blues squad, and was being touted as a possible starter in this game. That was always unlikely, given that he wouldn't have done much build up work with them, due to his commitments to the NZPB.

Worst NZ team vs combined best from up North. That's a tough one!
Might be a stop start game with Blues mistakes and Lions warrenball.
My pick: Blues by 5 and a **** week for the Lions.

Slightly off topic but is the Lions seen as the best the NH can offer in NZ, Aus and SA? I reckon there's always at least two of the individual sides who'd offer a bigger challenge than the Lions, possibly all four this time around depending on Welsh coaching!

Blues by 5 bro? Blues to stick 50 on those whinging poms and those crybaby Irish. Sonny Bill to condemn these Lions to Ramadamnation fasting or no fasting, he's still fast bro.
I joke, but I'm looking forward to this one. Should be a good throwabout. Will hopefully be able to see it all.
Slightly off topic but is the Lions seen as the best the NH can offer in NZ, Aus and SA? I reckon there's always at least two of the individual sides who'd offer a bigger challenge than the Lions, possibly all four this time around depending on Welsh coaching!
Would have to wonder how a touring side is ever given lofty expectations not to mention with such a rough schedule. Talent they have. A notion of what they're doing in a brand new system they most definitely do not. Still exciting,

Last edited:
Blues by 5 bro? Blues to stick 50 on those whinging poms and those crybaby Irish. Sonny Bill to condemn these Lions to Ramadamnation fasting or no fasting, he's still fast bro.
I joke, but I'm looking forward to this one. Should be a good throwabout. Will hopefully be able to see it all.

Would have to wonder how a touring side is ever given lofty expectations not to mention with such a rough schedule. Talent they have. A notion of what they're doing in a brand new system they most definitely do not. Still exciting,
Wish I could give more than 1 like for "ramadamnation."

Crusaders are probably the best side outside the ABS yes. Hurricanes are close but they are a different aide without Barrett who I suspect won't play. Highlanders and Chiefs are also up there, all of the Kiwi sides are good but the Blues are the most inconcistent (I believe they haven't beaten another Kiwi side in SR).

I get the impression you are not a Gatland fan Oggmonster haha. I will however, agree with you in principal on your first few points. I think, if the test was tomorrow it'd be Henshaw and Davies. However, I believe the management team that this time around the midweek games early count and that they haven't got the test shirts nailed down yet. I want to see JJ get a bit of form when he plays next, preferably with an effective half back partnership.

I feel if a player has is eligible for the Lions shirt, and understands, embraces and is proud of the role, then I can't see why you would not consider them to be captain. Only the coaches can make that call being on the inside. Captains tend to be natural anyway and hold the respect of the players, no matter what their nationality.

I will always back the team but just get a bit fed up with the repeated instances of favouritism he shows. I can live with the marginal calls given that he's going with players he knows and trusts but taking Biggar and in particular Howley is hard to stomach. Lions caps are precious and flying in Shane Williams four years ago when he should have called up a younger winger to give him a taste of the Lions tour (with an eye on future tours) was just unforgivable. Still I won't say any more about it and will back the team.

FWIW, I would like to see Henshaw and JD2 with Te'o coming off the bench. I like JD2 who is clearly playing better than he did at the 6N.

The front 5 is much stronger and with the back row should create turnovers and keep the ball for the backs. The half backs are miles better, Webb is lively, a good runner, and is great at sniping gaps. Laidlaw stands around waving his hands in the air like he just don't care. He's more a melodramatic pantomime villain than a scrum half. He was picked for political reasons to appease upset Scots. He's slow, doesn't take his chances, and is not on the best of form. Danny Care or Gareth Davies should have been selected. If Davies is still at the level he was in the RWC he will be above those two. He has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Biggar would have to really go to pieces if he plays worse than Sexton did. He's not exciting as a fly half, though I predict he'll be steady. The centres are stronger and fit ideally with Warrenball. The wings are also fine. I never really rated Seymor that much. Halfpenny is fine if you want someone who runs and kicks. I think he's overrated (so is Hogg for that matter). I would prefer to have Liam Williams there who is more of a complete package.

Overall the side is stronger in the defence way. About the same in attack. However, attack doesn't say much when the attacking genius is Howley whose only idea of attack is grabbing the ball and running forward.

I will always back the team but just get a bit fed up with the repeated instances of favouritism he shows. I can live with the marginal calls given that he's going with players he knows and trusts but taking Biggar and in particular Howley is hard to stomach. Lions caps are precious and flying in Shane Williams four years ago when he should have called up a younger winger to give him a taste of the Lions tour (with an eye on future tours) was just unforgivable. Still I won't say any more about it and will back the team.

FWIW, I would like to see Henshaw and JD2 with Te'o coming off the bench. I like JD2 who is clearly playing better than he did at the 6N.

That was because Williams was already on his way to Australia and was needed quickly after loads of injury scares.

Because Gatland's coaching. Had it been Schmidt or Jones, things would've been different
if you are going to have a pop at Gatland do it if we get hammered 3 nil in the tests, because as it stands he is a Lions series winning coach

Would have been a fair point if your coach did not contradict the point your making. Gatland who is in charge of the lions by your logic grew up wanting to play for the All Blacks. "I'm not sure that having him as Coach would be that conducive towards building the team spirit of nations put together with players who have dreamt of playing for the team since they were little kids."
Were does that leave the the dreams of countless South sea islanders that have provided the backbone of the All Blacks for decades.

if you are going to have a pop at Gatland do it if we get hammered 3 nil in the tests, because as it stands he is a Lions series winning coach

I don't buy this 'Gatland is set to fail' dogma. The fact Wales manage to score tries and were ahead for half the match and were competitive up until the last 15 minutes, proves it's more mental than skill. If Gatland picks players who can execute how Wales played in the summer for a full 85 minutes, the Lions will win.

Adopting a whole new style and building a team of balance is always going to fail due to time constraints. The match where the Lions did well in 2013 was when they picked a Wales-on-steroids team. Take the Welsh team, cut out the weak links, and use that. Similarly, if Jones was coaching, take the English team and replace the weak links with players from the other nations.

Really setting yourself up for a fall there, because I'm confident that will happen, though whether it's Gatland's fault I doubt will be the case. I have no major gripes with him, but I view this tour as close to impossibly difficult compared to, well any tour ever.

Stop this favouritism bullshit, I agree with you on Howler, but Biggar is there on merit as at least the 3rd best 10 with extensive international experience that he had to pick from, if you did your research you would know why Shane was temporarily drafted in last tour. If you want to talk about favouritism then you should refer to Clive Woodward who was the worst Lions coach we have ever seen.

Really setting yourself up for a fall there, because I'm confident that will happen, though whether it's Gatland's fault I doubt will be the case. I have no major gripes with him, but I view this tour as close to impossibly difficult compared to, well any tour ever.
How am I setting myself up for a fall, all I said was if we get done 3 nil then have a pop

I'll say you are probably right on certain calls, and with this tour being so marginal in so many positions, we'll see how fair he is being. AWJ would not be starting in a test for example for me, without a really good game under his belt. If Nowell has a good game it'll also be a big call between him and a welsh outside back as well.

I don't see any favouritism in this team this week. Some combinations that the coaching team has to try out. Payne has a long way to go to impress me, as JJ and JD2 are well above him in the order for me. I'm going to bet on Owen's for the firs try, the man will be on fire!

Latest posts