• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Thought it was grand, definitely too long though. A lot of the issues stemmed from the way they split the movies which I guess they had to do. Some weird deviations from the source material as well.

Started watching all the MCU movies in chronological order with my son last weekend. Only watched Captain America and Iron Man so far, but he's enjoying them.

Theres a few iffy scenes for a 6y/o, but overall I decided they're OK for him to watch (I skipped the torture scene in Iron Man though). Trying to remember if there are any other scenes in the other movies to avoid?

Started watching all the MCU movies in chronological order with my son last weekend. Only watched Captain America and Iron Man so far, but he's enjoying them.

Theres a few iffy scenes for a 6y/o, but overall I decided they're OK for him to watch (I skipped the torture scene in Iron Man though). Trying to remember if there are any other scenes in the other movies to avoid?

Can't think of specific scenes off the top of my head, in the earlier films at least, but if you look each film up on IMDb there should be a section called parents guide. Since it's user edited it'll probably be a bit alarmist but it should give you a general idea.

The BBFC has superb detail and guidance for all films including new releases.

I don't think there's anything in specific to object to, something like The Winter Soldier is definitely for an older audience so may issues with attention span.

Also chronological order require's Captain Marvel as second film now ;)

Finally got around to watching Green Book...best film I've seen in a long time.

Watching the Rock atm on 5star. Best line so far: guy on motorbike says to Nick Cage "hey man, you just fcked up your Ferrari." Nick Cage : "it's not mine." And proceeds to push guy off of his motorbike and ride off with it.

Hobbs & Shaw... terrible (although I did like the Rock's Samoan mum... not in that way :rolleyes:).

Toy Story 4
A] Completely unecessary, as 3 left off perfectly
B] Still really good though
C] I should have learnt by now - don't watch new PIXAR films during hayfever season!

Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx in Rock of Ages is his best role

Don't @ me

(I know it's a trash film, but as a hhuuggee 80s metal/cheesy movie fan it's one of my favourite films)

Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx in Rock of Ages is his best role

Don't @ me

(I know it's a trash film, but as a hhuuggee 80s metal/cheesy movie fan it's one of my favourite films)
Haven't seen it but surely he can't be better than he was in...
upload_2019-10-6_6-37-26.jpeg

or...

upload_2019-10-6_6-38-25.jpeg

Might give it a watch off the back of your enthusiasm though.

Last edited:
The missus and I are having a lazy Sunday Movie day... part of the reason I started the other thread. So far we've watched two films I've never really wanted to watch but enjoyed the hell out've both of them.

The Florida Project - had no idea what it was about and wouldn't have appealed to me if I knew the premise but real good indie flick... funny too and I don't find much funny.

A Star is Born - Wow... that's some powerful **** right there. Bradley Cooper really surprised me. Not the fact that he wrote and directed it... and sang etc. but he delivered a world class Sam Elliott impersonation and I love me some Sam Elliott. I jest a bit, his 'impersonation' was actually a great performance, loved it.

The Lobster and Blade Runner 2049 still to go.

I'll warn you on Blade Runner 2049 whilst its great it's a very 'slow' film you might not want to watch it when tired.

Also watch it in 4k on the biggest screen you can find.

I'll warn you on Blade Runner 2049 whilst its great it's a very 'slow' film you might not want to watch it when tired.

Also watch it in 4k on the biggest screen you can find.
I have seen 2049 but the missus hasn't so gonna introduce her... she hasn't seen Blade Runner (I know... sacrilege) but I just don't think she'd enjoy it if you know what I mean. She does fancy the sequel though... so I'm hoping she'll be able to enjoy it without the knowledge of what happened in the first one. I'm not overly optimistic on that front but we shall see.

Personally, I loved it by the way... watched the ultimate cut of the original and 2049 back to back, awesome! Also if you like this kinda thing there's a great Netflix show called Altered Carbon. If you haven't seen it, it's what I always wanted from Cyber Punk.

The missus and I are having a lazy Sunday Movie day... part of the reason I started the other thread. So far we've watched two films I've never really wanted to watch but enjoyed the hell out've both of them.

The Florida Project - had no idea what it was about and wouldn't have appealed to me if I knew the premise but real good indie flick... funny too and I don't find much funny.

A Star is Born - Wow... that's some powerful **** right there. Bradley Cooper really surprised me. Not the fact that he wrote and directed it... and sang etc. but he delivered a world class Sam Elliott impersonation and I love me some Sam Elliott. I jest a bit, his 'impersonation' was actually a great performance, loved it.

The Lobster and Blade Runner 2049 still to go.

Yeah, Florida Project is a very powerful portrayal of the hypocrisy behind all the glitz of Disney/Universal studios of Orlando. I went to Orlando 2 years ago and stayed in Kissimmee where they filmed a lot of that film. Swear I drove past or walked past the same apartments. That kind of poverty of America is something that's pretty much ignored when it comes to American films.

A Star is Born is very good as well. Not sure I bought Lady Gaga suddenly transforming on stage from a nobody to a star. For me she was just playing herself. Bradly Cooper was very good as a drunk though and yeah him playing the brother of Sam Elliott, well he had to mimic his voice. And the soundtrack is excellent. Definitely a date film to get the other half to blub and then comfort her:).

Latest posts