• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
An artists depiction of the newly formed France, Wales and Scotland voting block
22885798_1114684532002264_5029584958312601341_n.jpg

(Please don't ban me)

The South Africans have now come out and called the decision process opaque, in to be fair the classiest terms possible, but then went on to say that the evaluation committee have the final say on where the tournament goes (from what I can gather), which will of course never happen, but I see the point he's making about a supposedly transparent report followed by a thoroughly opaque voting process, but oh well it will likely not be Ireland's problem ever again.
Anyway it's a tad embarrassing for World Rugby that their report was overlooked in the end I feel. Despite the promises of transparency, my final thoughts are that the whole thing became a bit of a mess for everyone, with even the eventual winners having come out already as the process' harshest critic.
Post Japan, it will probably have to go to a relatively reliable proven host (in the SH I would say), then to an expansion market then.....

Would have preferred Ireland or South Africa to France but c'est le vie.

France parading Lomu's kids was distasteful and is what crossed them off my list.

This whole bid was quite stale to be honest. Let's hope for more exposure in new countries in the future and less of the buddy system in Europe. Canada/USA would be a fantastic host for the next one.

Lets hope SA can first clean up the political mess both outside and inside of SARU before it gets it again. The president has decimated the economy and I genuinely think the ANC banning international tournaments not too long ago would have put a few Unions off.

EDIT: Also now that we know that the Japanese didn't vote for us can we drop them from Super Rugby now please ?
Thinking of America and Canada hosting a WC fills me with dread we'd be watching 1/2 empty stadiums and that wouldn't do anything to promote the game. Far better to give it to a country/countries who's supporters deserve it, Tonga - Fiji - Samoa.

Didn't world rugby say they want hosts to host it entirely no more joint stuff.

Damned if I know! I'm not sure why they would say that given they bend over backwards to ensure the Tier 1 club automatically qualify every time. They'd be guaranteed that Ireland, Wales and Scotland will always be there. And FIFA have had at least three such major tournaments shared between co-hosts.

It's not something I pay a whole lot of attention to after Italy dropped out of the running. I'm just searching for a reason for the WRU and SRU to not to vote for their neighbour and Pro14 partner.

Thinking of America and Canada hosting a WC fills me with dread we'd be watching 1/2 empty stadiums and that wouldn't do anything to promote the game. Far better to give it to a country/countries who's supporters deserve it, Tonga - Fiji - Samoa.
The All Blacks vs Ireland match attracted 62000 which was encouraging. But it did have the whole one off spectacle vibe to it. I think at some point World Rugby needs to take it there. Very much a chicken or egg situation.

I know the Pacific Islands have a special place in rugby evidenced by neutral crowds always getting behind them but they'll never host a world cup unfortunately. Don't have the infrastructure amongst other things.

This decision stinks, and what's worse is that Laporte, who's not exactly too popular, will get all the kudos that'll probably keep him in the job 'til at least 2023, so the wholesale changes that are essential to the structure of French rugby are unlikely to happen.
At least there'll be a couple of matches in Toulouse where I can go - begrudgingly, 'cos I'd much rather have gone to Galway and Limerick!!

I think it'd be the opposite. Lots of Irish English Scottish Welsh and New Zealanders in both places. When I was in Canada the place was hotspot for Aussies who spend 6 Months a year there.
Add in alot of Canadians and American fans. I think it would be huge success if planned well

Well at least it wasn't the worst possible decision; that would have been awarding it to South Africa due to the current state of both the political situation there and the subsequent appalling state that SARU is in. Awarding them the RWC hosting rights could be construed as rewarding SARU and the SA Government for so-called "transformation" (which IMO is just a subterfuge to cover up the kind of race-based selection policies we haven't seen since Apartheid). I think even a few of the Saffas here would agree with me on this.

I have no doubt that France will deliver a fantastic RWC, but there is no question in my mind that this RWC should have gone to Ireland.

I agree that rugby as a spectator sport in the US is a very though sell. I honestly don't think that it will ever happen. More people are playing rugby now but it's a drop in the bucket compared to soccer 50 years ago.

All that said, we are talking about a RWC in 2027. The US has built a lot of "soccer specific" stadiums that hold 20K to 30K that would be perfect for RWC pool matches.

I should host it. I have a sweet couch, 5.1 and okay TV. Free beer, but you must take shoes off at front door.

Well now that it's done, I have to say I feel both disappointed and relieved.

I'm disappointed that we won't host it because I won't be able to travel abroad to watch it live in another country, and my only chance to watch a RWC live would have been on home soil.

I'm relieved because it shows that the other nations are taking not of what is going on in SA and through their vote showed that SA can't sugarcoat their way into hosting the event. I however hope that the nations who voted against us instead of voting for France, would come out and say why they voted the way they did.

Wait, why the hell are the French hosting it? They clearly cheated in 2007 and it has never been explained how they did it. If Barnes is reffing, the crowd needs to storm the field.

This is an interesting article about how the voting went down: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SouthAfrica2023/rwc-2023-rugby-africa-voted-against-sa-20171116

According to reports, this is what the voting breakdown looked like:

ROUND 1

France - 18

Scotland 3
Italy 3
Japan 2
Georgia 1
Romania 1
Asia 2
South America 2
Europe 2
Africa 2

South Africa - 13

Wales 3
New Zealand 3
Australia 3
Argentina 3
*Oceania 1

Ireland - 8

England 3
Canada 1
USA 1
North America 2
*Oceania 1

*Oceania split their two votes between South Africa and Ireland

ROUND 2

France - 24

Scotland 3
Italy 3
Japan 2
Georgia 1
Romania 1
Canada 1
USA 1
*England 2
Asia 2
South America 2
Europe 2
Africa 2
North America 2

South Africa - 15

Wales 3
New Zealand 3
Australia 3
Argentina 3
Oceania 2
*England 1

*England split their 3 second round votes 2/1 in favour of France

Interesting to note is the following:

- South Africa's fellow SANZAAR nations stuck with South Africa in both rounds

- France and Ireland's fellow Six Nations opponents were split, while Wales even voted for South Africa

- Japan, who have a team (Sunwolves) in Super Rugby, voted for France. Ouch!

- The two African confederation votes went to France. Double ouch!

That last one will sting in particular, considering the fact the Africa confederation have their headquarters in the same building in Cape Town as SA Rugby!

But is that surprising when one considers their president, Abdelaziz Bougja, is a French citizen of Moroccan descent, who has been living in France for 30 years ... ?

Breakdown of those countries / confederations who voted and the number of votes of each:

Countries

Australia (3 votes), England (3), New Zealand (3), Scotland (3), Wales (3), Italy (3), Argentina (3), Canada (1), Japan (2), Georgia (1), Romania (1), USA (1)

Confederations

Asia Rugby (2), Oceania Rugby (2), Rugby Africa (2), Rugby Americas North (2), Rugby Europe (2), Sudamerica Rugby (2)

I don't really understand the logic of splitting your vote in the last round (as England did)? Is it some half-hearted attempt to say that you semi-supported both?

I don't really understand the logic of splitting your vote in the last round (as England did)? Is it some half-hearted attempt to say that you semi-supported both?
Is it not us staying loyal to Ireland?
We wanted them to host it and when they couldn't we weren't arsed who did.
France get the extra point because the euro tunnel is cheaper than air fair to Africa.

Well, because we have 3 votes; and whilst we favoured France; not to the point of giving them 3-0 from us.
Or maybe the RFU board was split 60:40 in favour of France over SA - it's not like 1 person and 1 person only, from the RFU, jhas a say in the matter

Latest posts