• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst Commentator

Stuart Barnes because he always takes the moral high ground and say things which profoundly important; most of which turn out to be wrong. Things which he has predicted and got wrong:

1. Gatland has just made a monumental error dropping BOD for the last Lions test v Australia.

2. The All Blacks are not going to score a try from 60m out v Argentina in the RC last year. What happened? Savea scores Aaron try from 60m out.

Asked on end of year The Rugby Club show on Sky Sports who he thought was the team of 2013; he says South Africa because they've now shown that the team who are going to win the RWC 2015. Now he could be right, but that was not the question and even Scott Quinnell thought he was off his rocker. It was just another example of Barnes wanting to sound profound and pompous that ****** me off about him and his commentary.

Stuart Barnes because he always takes the moral high ground and say things which profoundly important; most of which turn out to be wrong. Things which he has predicted and got wrong:

1. Gatland has just made a monumental error dropping BOD for the last Lions test v Australia.

2. The All Blacks are not going to score a try from 60m out v Argentina in the RC last year. What happened? Savea scores Aaron try from 60m out.

Asked on end of year The Rugby Club show on Sky Sports who he thought was the team of 2013; he says South Africa because they've now shown that the team who are going to win the RWC 2015. Now he could be right, but that was not the question and even Scott Quinnell thought he was off his rocker. It was just another example of Barnes wanting to sound profound and pompous that ****** me off about him and his commentary.
To be fair dropping BOD was an error they still won but he should never of been dropped, that lions team would have been thumped by the All Blacks and Australia were playing awfully.

Considering some kiwis still bring up 1905, the spear tackle has quite a ways to go.

See, I think everybody outside of NZ likes him for these reasons. He is the anti-Nisbo.

@Hein. You'll have to add Idris Elba, it seems there are a few with a thing forum here.

If Idris were to start commentating, then he'll also be a Morgan Freeman wannabe. Not even Samuel L Jackson would overstep that boundary.

And as for Justin Marshall, I like his comments. He's a bit cocky sometimes, but then again, he has a right to be. not like Bobby Skinstad...

Phil Kearns

Especially after he tried to make out george north deliberately injured Berrick Barnes in the first Lions test.

Jonathan Davies makes me want to break my tv, can't stand the guy!

johnathan davies spent most his commentary talking about wales then the actual game

Martyn Williams is truly awful.

I like Martyn Williams. It's evident he knows the game and knows the players on the pitch. Especially considering he's only been doing it a year, I think he's a good pundit and perfectly decent commentator.

Keith Wood and Jonathan Davies both get on my nerves.

Davies is far too bias towards Wales while Wood's attempts to excuse Cian Healy for stamping on Dan Cole in last year's tournament were just cringe worthy.

Watching Rebels vs. Crusaders right now and I'm reminded of the reason why I hate Australian commentary (answer: Phil Kearns).

Last edited:
Considering some kiwis still bring up 1905, the spear tackle has quite a ways to go.

...come on, they still think they won a world cup in 1987 when it is was nothing more than a party akin to the Bermuda comp for past Internationals!!

If Idris were to start commentating, then he'll also be a Morgan Freeman wannabe. Not even Samuel L Jackson would overstep that boundary.

And as for Justin Marshall, I like his comments. He's a bit cocky sometimes, but then again, he has a right to be. not like Bobby Skinstad...

I like Justin Marshall he is pretty unbiased and has good knowledge of the game.

My least favorite commentators are Bob Skinstad, Shimange both who have f-all knowledge and always have dumb **** to say like snap drop or nuggety, Stransky with his stupid nasal sound, Matt Pearce is also very irritating, that Davies guy of Wales biased prick and irritating accent/voice.

Can't believe the Aussie commentators haven't copped more.

They are some of the most biased, uninformed commentators going around. Greg Martin and Phil Kearns are so biased it's not even funny; example being if the opposition does something extraordinarily well they will start going on about what the Wallabies have done wrong instead of what the opposition has done well. And the amount of tripe they spout before a test match is sickening.

The Australian rugby public deserve better. Here is an interseting opinion piece from last year that kind of sums up the Aussie commentary team (note: don't rate Marshall or Kafer but the guy who wrote this does have some good points.)

I am prompted to go into print about the quality and standard of commentary provided by Fox Sports on rugby. As a Waratahs supporter, I found the rants of Greg Martin during the gripping Reds vs Brumbies game particularly boorish and plumbing new depths. This is on top of his references to Robbie Deans being an All Black mole. This technique may go down well on Brisbane radio but as a paying customer of Fox Sports, I deserve more than a ‘shock jock’ approach to rugby commentary.
Greg Clarke is a first-rate caller with excellent knowledge and skills and is consistently impartial. Is this in part due to his time working in New Zealand?
Between Greg Martin and Phil Kearns, both undoubtedly accomplished players, Fox dishes up the most inane, dumbed-down commentary of all three of the SANZAR broadcasters.
If I have to endure another Phil Kearns boof-headed line about scrums I will cry.
Neither Kearns nor Martin bring any true level of analysis to their task and in Martin’s case his unashamed pro-Queensland stance is also tedious, predictable and boring.
As an Australian rugby supporter I find their contributions embarassing. Their ex-player colleagues, with the exception of Tim Horan and Rod Kafer, are simply uninspiring and offer little real insight into play.
Contrast this with the New Zealand commentary team, which is head and shoulders above the Australian and South African offering.
The Kiwis are consistently professional, balanced and don’t have the need to carry on with dumbed-down banter a number of the Fox commentators seem intent on delivering.
The likes of Justin Marshall and Ian Jones give no hint of their former provincial allegiances. Moreover, their commentary and that of their colleagues is balanced and impartial.
They recognise good performances from all of the teams they commentate on, regardless of the home country of that team. Similarly, they do not seem to feel the need to engage in mindless banter among themselves.
Given all the other challenges which Australian rugby faces at the moment as the fourth ranking footbal code in the country, to have our own commentators dish up such poor quality contributions is very disappointing.

Can't believe the Aussie commentators haven't copped more.

They are some of the most biased, uninformed commentators going around. Greg Martin and Phil Kearns are so biased it's not even funny; example being if the opposition does something extraordinarily well they will start going on about what the Wallabies have done wrong instead of what the opposition has done well. And the amount of tripe they spout before a test match is sickening.

The Australian rugby public deserve better. Here is an interseting opinion piece from last year that kind of sums up the Aussie commentary team (note: don't rate Marshall or Kafer but the guy who wrote this does have some good points.)

I am prompted to go into print about the quality and standard of commentary provided by Fox Sports on rugby. As a Waratahs supporter, I found the rants of Greg Martin during the gripping Reds vs Brumbies game particularly boorish and plumbing new depths. This is on top of his references to Robbie Deans being an All Black mole. This technique may go down well on Brisbane radio but as a paying customer of Fox Sports, I deserve more than a 'shock jock' approach to rugby commentary.
Greg Clarke is a first-rate caller with excellent knowledge and skills and is consistently impartial. Is this in part due to his time working in New Zealand?
Between Greg Martin and Phil Kearns, both undoubtedly accomplished players, Fox dishes up the most inane, dumbed-down commentary of all three of the SANZAR broadcasters.
If I have to endure another Phil Kearns boof-headed line about scrums I will cry.
Neither Kearns nor Martin bring any true level of analysis to their task and in Martin's case his unashamed pro-Queensland stance is also tedious, predictable and boring.
As an Australian rugby supporter I find their contributions embarassing. Their ex-player colleagues, with the exception of Tim Horan and Rod Kafer, are simply uninspiring and offer little real insight into play.
Contrast this with the New Zealand commentary team, which is head and shoulders above the Australian and South African offering.
The Kiwis are consistently professional, balanced and don't have the need to carry on with dumbed-down banter a number of the Fox commentators seem intent on delivering.
The likes of Justin Marshall and Ian Jones give no hint of their former provincial allegiances. Moreover, their commentary and that of their colleagues is balanced and impartial.
They recognise good performances from all of the teams they commentate on, regardless of the home country of that team. Similarly, they do not seem to feel the need to engage in mindless banter among themselves.
Given all the other challenges which Australian rugby faces at the moment as the fourth ranking footbal code in the country, to have our own commentators dish up such poor quality contributions is very disappointing.

The reason for the Aussies not copping more, is because everyone agrees that they are biased and crappy, but they tend to have humorous comments during the games which mitigates their mediocrity. Phil Kearns, Brendan Cannon and especially Rod Kafer are IMHO the worst of the worst.

Surely, Martin Gillingham has got to be the worst of all.

I just have to switch over as soon as I hear his banal rubbish.

resized_grandma-finds-the-internet-meme-generator-hmmm-yup-it-s-a-bump-ec1430.jpg

Surely, Martin Gillingham has got to be the worst of all.

I just have to switch over as soon as I hear his banal rubbish.
Watching RM v RCT?
Gillingham has a pretty good knowledge. He is far better than Robson, Evans, Harrison, Barnes, Quinnell on Sky.

Latest posts