• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst Commentator

You will now forever be known as the Minstrel of Mayhem to me. :)

das

not bad, pirate.....not bad...! I kinda like it.

Hugh is a legend, he and Nisbo probably do their commentary from a retirement home though.

a lege...oohhhhhh, right, okay. You're having a suck-up moment in case any actual Saffa would read this...my bad, didn't mean to spoil your moment there.
Yessssssssssssss, a legend....:rolleyes:

Irish commentators are by and large, pretty bad. Having endured Fred Cogley and Jim Sherwin for years, Ryle Nugent is somehow an improvement. The same can't be said for Hugh Cahill.

As for co-commentators Dewi "to be truthfully honest" Morris, Donal "tremenjous, did you know Peter O'Mahony once played on the wing?" Lenihan and Tony "he had no right to win that ball" Ward really grate.

George Hook is great value when a Leinster player makes a mistake while playing for Ireland.

Nigel Starmer-Smith. I just find him really bland, and he pauses a lot. He usually does the Sevens, but he also commentates on a few of the Autumn Internationals; mostly those that involve Italy and France, and either a Pacific Island nation or Argentina. I assume this is when neither side is able to offer an English commentary track. He did the '03 and '07 World Cups as well.

Also, every commentator that was involved in the free-to-air coverage of RWC 2011. Ugh. Ugh. The host nation really deserved better. The Maori TV team was bland and sounded like they didn't what they were doing and over on TV3 we had the great Hamish Mckay...goodie. See the TV3 commentary of THAT quarter final in Cardiff for reference (it's up on YouTube).

Ryle Nugent...I thought I liked him after only hearing him in those clips used in the '2009 Grand Slam'' documentary ("This must be it. This must be it for Ronan O'Gara. Drop at goal. GRAND SLAM AT STAKE!), but after watching a whole game with him...now, not so much. Unlike Starmer-Smith, he never ever seems to breath between his words. "AndHeasliptakestheballinandhe'sbroughttogroundbuthemanagestogettheballbacktoReddanwhoshovelsitonouttoD'ArcyinmidfieldwhogetstackledbutmanagestostaystrongandO'Driscollgoesintoofferhissupport." and etc.

Mark Robson. I don't know what you guys are talking about. The guy's hilarious! "Well, if there's a fight you can at least be sure that Jimmy Cowan's involved...and there he is."

Last edited:
Jiffy is the worst for me he's such a bell . Everytime it's team of the week there's like 10 Welshmen in it ! It's like ok I can put up with slightly leaning towards countrymen/favourite players but he takes the biscuit

Irish commentators are by and large, pretty bad. Having endured Fred Cogley and Jim Sherwin for years, Ryle Nugent is somehow an improvement. The same can't be said for Hugh Cahill.

As for co-commentators Dewi "to be truthfully honest" Morris, Donal "tremenjous, did you know Peter O'Mahony once played on the wing?" Lenihan and Tony "he had no right win that ball" Ward really grate.

Don't forget Frankie "see what Peter O'Mahoney just did?!" Sheahan

Mark Robson. I don't know what you guys are talking about. The guy's hilarious! "Well, if there's a fight you can at least be sure that Jimmy Cowan's involved...and there he is."

Totally agree! I love his wit. He makes even dull matches entertaining. I wish American commentators would take some cues from the likes of Robson and some of those SH guys - then, perhaps, their play-by-play wouldn't be so flat and boring.

das

Jiffy or brian moore. They ruin the 6 nations for me.

Actually all the bbc commentators are bluddy terrible

Zese people are going on ze list

Jiffy
S****t B****s
Dewi Morris
Phillip Matthews
Andy Nichol

Watch out or you vill go on ze list asvell.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Ewis. how dare you mock the great Hugh Bladen!!!!! One of my favourites.

Agree with SimonG on John Taylor, I absolutely love Taylor, his commentary during France vs. New Zealand in 1999 is part of the reason the highlights are still outstanding to watch.

I despise Nugent, annoying voice, annoying catch phrases.

Never heard a good commentator cover a Canadian game, Rees was ok in colour commentary but everyone else has ben pretty much worthless. They are the 2nd tier play by play guys or usually soccer guys forced into covering rugby. The colour analysts are usually sub par ex players who constantly give poor analysis.

... My theory is that they think (rightly or wrongly) that they have to educate the audience in the rules/tactics of the game, to try and grow the viewer numbers ... I quite like that approach with the Olympic Sevens not too far away

... the exception is the guy with english accent that was doing the half time analysis during the RWC 2011 ... he didn't know what he was talking about

Who's the single worst commentator for you ? A guy who irritates you as soon as you tune in, almost feel like muting the thing or doing something else, a constant thorn in your spine the whole match and you never forget he's there with his annoying mannerisms and what not.

Single worst for me is the Saffa who sounds like he's got Down Syndrome. Oh got it: 'Hugh Bladen'.
Mentions to Ryle Nugent who's a bit irritating but tolerable, and a little more annoying Miles Harrison who sounds like he's having a perpetual erection and/or on a toilet while commenting with the occasional push mid way through a sentence and louder moments to cover up his farts or wtvr's really going on.

Also, there's a guy commonly heard on Aussie TV who's sideline and interviews players and makes comments every once in a while who's one of these people who sound like they've got something stuck in their throats or are in the process of swallowing a gigantic amount of food all the time. A bit appetite-losing to listen to him.

Hey TRF_Mods, what's with the sudden return of old threads being remade all of a sudden???

We had this thread already.

And Big Ewis/yoe91, I'd be careful about Hugh Bladen, in the previous thread, the poster who said he was bad, got a real lashing from the Saffas.

I like Hugh, he's been part of South African Rugby since before the proffessional era. His comments makes the games more thrilling and fun to watch. and his favourite word is "unbelievable".

True, but it was a while back and we've had new members and such. No harm done, it's a forum so if people want to discuss it that's fine by me. Now if we want ten 'greatest XVs' or the like...

And Big Ewis/yoe91, I'd be careful about Hugh Bladen, in the previous thread, the poster who said he was bad, got a real lashing from the Saffas.

if I can't say I find one man sounds ridiculous on a forum I might as well be living in North Korea. Good day.

How has Justin marshal not been mentioned?!?!?!

i can understand bias in commentators, its natural to favour "your" team....but goes SOOOOOOO far to prove he unbias he ends up continually bagging NZ teams (except the crusaders) its painful....and he has these five minute rants!...cant stand him and am a proud member of the facebook group asking to have him banded

How has Justin marshal not been mentioned?!?!?!

i can understand bias in commentators, its natural to favour "your" team....but goes SOOOOOOO far to prove he unbias he ends up continually bagging NZ teams (except the crusaders) its painful....and he has these five minute rants!...cant stand him and am a proud member of the facebook group asking to have him banded
See, I think everybody outside of NZ likes him for these reasons. He is the anti-Nisbo.

@Hein. You'll have to add Idris Elba, it seems there are a few with a thing forum here.

No one man is capable of such a task.

mmm I'm tempted but...I'd be crazy to try......
no, no, it's just too crazy. We can dream of accomplishing greatness, but as mortals we are still bound.

Latest posts