• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst Commentator

Watching RM v RCT?
Gillingham has a pretty good knowledge. He is far better than Robson, Evans, Harrison, Barnes, Quinnell on Sky.

Totally agree and his knowledge of French rugby, in particular, amongst all the English commentators and pundits is second to absolutely none.

However, he does have a one tone nasal way of talking that does not create interest on its own!!

I don't know if i said it before but robbie knox or something from eurosport. He usually co commentates alongside david lyons, francis fainifo or any other english speaking player who is free that weekend... Bloody useless commentator

I don't know if i said it before but robbie knox or something from eurosport. He usually co commentates alongside david lyons, francis fainifo or any other english speaking player who is free that weekend... Bloody useless commentator

So true, Robbie Nock is the most irritating uninformed commentator around. His constant umming and ahhhing is intolerable.

Also Phil Kearns and Greg Martin who just don't understand the game at all and are so biased -although Martin is nowhere near as bad as he used to be I suppose.

I've been listening to quite a lot of rugby in New Zealand and South Africa and have concluded that of the Tri Nations, Australia has the worst commentators by some margin with South Africa having the best. I don't get to hear the European commentators enough to make a comment on the quality of the NH although the English commentators have always impressed.

Yes, I watched RM v RCT.
It's the rising inflection after nearly every statement and sooooooooo much of his commentary merely states the obvious. He may well be fairly knowledgeable but its pretty easy to identify individual players during a game, and what I want from a commentator is skilled unbiased insights. Not merely statements of the obvious.
Sorry, I think the guy is rubbish !
Martin Gillingham that is.

So true, Robbie Nock is the most irritating uninformed commentator around. His constant umming and ahhhing is intolerable.

Also Phil Kearns and Greg Martin who just don't understand the game at all and are so biased -although Martin is nowhere near as bad as he used to be I suppose.

Forgot to mention as well for others that he commentates on top 14

Always thought Grant Nisbett was the worst commentator just for sheer lack of knowledge( after numerous replays he still thought BDP was offside when he crunched DC last year), and he commentates cricket which is embarrassing for the sport because this guy has no concept of the difference between swing and seam let alone the more complex aspects, he ends up sounding like a dopey baseball commentator.

I always find the South African commentators seem to have no emotion, perhaps it is the accent.

resized_grandma-finds-the-internet-meme-generator-hmmm-yup-it-s-a-bump-ec1430.jpg

Bump-a-doodle-doooooooooooo !!!!

Big Ewis. How dare you mention Hugh Bladen!!!!! Love that man. "Hhhhaaaaaabaaaannaaaaahhh!!!!!"

Don't like the fox sport team from Australia. They don't seem to know the rules of the game and then have long discussions about surely it is this, and surely it is that.

Don't know any of the European commentators except for a Welsh guy that was based here in South Africa for a while. He wasn't bad, but I kept getting the feeling that he had very strong opinions on a lot of things he didn't know that much about. Tell me Big Ewis, are all Welsh like that?

Big Ewis. How dare you mention Hugh Bladen!!!!! Love that man. "Hhhhaaaaaabaaaannaaaaahhh!!!!!"

nooooo, no...got it all wrong...the emphasis is on the "B". It's Habbbbbbbbbaanaaa. It's like, "Hab..." then he stops breathing and his cheeks start inflating with air, it keeps increasing for a few seconds, between 15 and 20 seconds, and then the huge release "BBBBBBBBBanaaaa".

I'm sure he's a very nice man, but..well...actually about that, I know it's a long shot, like, it's going to sound a bit far-fetched, but I think he might do genetic engineering at night where he lives up in a distant, recluse old castle on the ppl whose cars break down and are lost and find themselves at his place. Yes, I know, like I said, it's a little bit unfair or some would say maybe even somewhat unfounded, but you've got to admit it's at very least, let's be conservative, 75% likely.
Surely some ppl will start calling me names; like I "exaggerate" things, that's what some have said about me...pfff...anyways...

I've never liked Eddie Butler but I think that's more because he does the voice for the stupid hyping up videos before the games where he talks so much ********. As commentators, Jiffy and Nicol are a bit too partisan for my liking but beyond that I don't really get annoyed at the commentators.

one thing to Eddie's credit, he was one of very few who pronouces the French players names as they should be pronouned, and his French was not too shabby to boot.
eg Trinh-Duc becomes often Train-Duck just one of many...................

My vote for worst goes to those commentators who cannot STFU when the referee and AR's are consulting over a penalty decision, and then complain that they have no idea what the penalty was for (Stuart Barnes, I'm looking at YOU!!!).

Justin Marshall. He just goes on and on and on.

when you have had a career as good as Justin's i think you are allowed little extras, and remember he did play for Montpellier, so that makes him one of the good guys, and an excellent person also very humble except when talking to Mike Phillips !!!!!!!!!!

when you have had a career as good as Justin's i think you are allowed little extras, and remember he did play for Montpellier, so that makes him one of the good guys, and an excellent person also very humble except when talking to Mike Phillips !!!!!!!!!!

He cruised around Europe and played for any club that would pay him and spoke at any function that would likewise pay him......would agree with you that he is very humble and pleasant person but he does know what he wants and did leave a sour taste at Leeds when he copped out of his contract there................

My vote for worst goes to those commentators who cannot STFU when the referee and AR's are consulting over a penalty decision, and then complain that they have no idea what the penalty was for (Stuart Barnes, I'm looking at YOU!!!).

Agree 100%.

The art of "listening to the ref" is something some commentators have forgot to do, or just think they know better and deliberately ignore

Ryan Constable on BBC NI.

The man is agent for half the players and bejaysus it doesn't half show. No criticism. Ever. Same half-baked platitudes constantly.

Fortunately, the man along side him, Jim Neilly is a f__king legend. When Reggie Corrigan was up doing a spot of co-commentary at the tail end of last season it was great. But I expect Constable to be back for more "expert" cliches again.

He cruised around Europe and played for any club that would pay him and spoke at any function that would likewise pay him......would agree with you that he is very humble and pleasant person but he does know what he wants and did leave a sour taste at Leeds when he copped out of his contract there................

We also sacked him, breach of contract when he refused to go onto the pitch in about the 79th min playing at Toulouse and the temp was below 0° but i actually think it was a poblem of translation and both parties probably got the wrong end of the stick, but thats how it finished and he went to Sarries if i remember rightly. but spoke to him many times and excellent chappie, with wife and a couple of kids.

we should get monthly payments from Sarries the no. of players we have supplied to them, Marshall, Figallo, Hamilton, just to mentiona few.

Latest posts