• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst Six Nations Ever?

<div class='quotemain'>All in all, a good performance by Wales, but don't allow yourselves to be blinded. This welsh side is in no way a finished article. There is still work that needs to be done.[/b]

Again, who said we were? You don't really need to advise the Welsh how good or bad the team is, we talk about little else. They are not the finished article yet but they're a damn sight better than they've been for a long time, and the celebration is justified for Wales as a country with the population smaller than the city of Rome to win such a sporting event.[/b][/quote]

If you read my reply carefully. you'll see I don't refute anything you say. And yeah, I don't need to give the Welsh advice, nor do you, or anyone else here. It's just banter, it's not like it really matters what we think about it. If anything, my opinion that they could be better is a compliment for such a small population base, as you pointed out.

Anyone else agree this was the poorest Six Nations in living memory? France in experimental mode, England and Ireland in chaos, Italy and Scotland predictably woeful (save Parrisse). Wales were good admittadely, but not great, I feel in any other year they wouldn't have got near a Grand Slam.

With all the focus now on WCs, does the Six Nations suffer as a result? [/b]

<div align="center">
sour-grapes2.jpg
</div>

Just because Ireland was rubbish doesn't mean the tourny was rubbish....
[/b]
I was thinking the same thing. There were so many upsets in this tournament (probably the most ever) that it couldn't possibly be the worst ever. It wasn't great one, admittedly, but it wasn't the worst, not a chance!
And what makes you think Wales couldn't have won it anyway? o_O I love comments which are based off nothing.

I always enjoy the Six Nations, even when Wales play poorly. There's so much history between these geographically close but culturally diverse countries that the games are entertaining even if they're rubbish, if you understand what I mean. Even when your team isn't doing well you've always got a favourite going into each match, and every country you play at is withing easy reach so you can have a **** up.

I prefer it to the World Cup where you have a month of big teams squashing minnows then one or two big games that are usually quite dull because the teams are too nervous and conservative to play any rugby.

I think it trumps the Tri Nations too, possibly because there are only three teams, also because they're quite similar countries. It also bothers me that teams play each other two or three times. In th Six Nations if you pull off a shock victory that's it - you have bragging rights for a year. In the Tri Nations if you pull off a shock victory they beat you when you play them again next week.

So the Six Nations, watever the quality of the rugby, is the best competition of the lot I think. ;)

Hang on a minute, it seems a bit convenient that it's a poor Six Nation when Wales win it. I enjoyed it, and I'm sure plenty of other people did too. Plenty of good matches, and showed that there is a lot of European talent to be nurtured for New Zealand 2011. Of course some teams underperformed, but if you remember, Wales beat a 'resurgent' Ireland at Croke Park, England beat a 'unstoppable' France at Stade de France, and Italy performed well for 4 out of 5 matches, and could have won more if they could have sorted out their backs.
So no, if you ask me, it wasn't poor, since the 6 Nations is a unique tournament, and always fronts up with the banter and shock upsets and comebacks.
Will be special for me, because Wales won the Grandslam. But most other people will probably agree with JB Elissalde's comment from before Wales - France; 'It's only Wales' <_<

Oh would you ever stop with the woe is me posts, nobody is criticising as a poor championship just because Wales won it.

I'm not, just proving that people are trying to put down the success of Wales this season as it's been "The worst tournament ever".

We have a point y'know. 2005 was a 'fluke' according to a fair few, and the only reason we won was because France and England were 'rubbish' that year. And it is a wee bit convenient that you're slating it when we won. The last 3 matches were all enjoyable to watch, Italy - Scotland was well balanced, with a dramatic ending, England - Ireland was good because England proved they are capable of chucking it about and scoring nice tries and Wales - France was good (fantastic for a Welsh fan) because of nice touches by both teams, and a great climax to the championship. And that's just to name a few.

Yeah, but you've got to look at this from a non-welsh perspective.
Even if you do like Wales and the way we play when we play well, we didn't even put together enough good performances to help the neutrals enjoy it and make the championship a "classic"
The championship was quite poor, the quality was low: have you seen Ireland play that badly in a 6N in the 2000s; France were foreign around one another; England were stuck with johnny and feeling stagnant; Scotland posed no threat and looked clueless everywhere outside of a ruck or a penalty kick; Italy don't have a game plan for the boys numbered 9-15; Wales were by no means playing the "welsh way" that won them the grand slam in '05, failing to show up for the first 40 minutes in some games and failing to take LOADS of chances that were coming their way!

I'm so proud that we won, I'm still walking around with a smile on my face and Cardiff even feels like it's breathing a little easier today (something it hasn't been able to do since 05) but us winning the championship alone isn't justification of it being a good championship. We were good, but the only reason a Grand Slam happened was because the others were so poor. In my opinion, even though we were better than Ireland in Croke Park, I don't think they should have lost to us.

All i'm saying is we should never have been allowed to win the Grand Slam after such dire performances in the world cup (and for the past couple of years dating from the Lions tour onwards.)

No, no, no! A couple of random Irishmen and Rugby League enthusiasts do not constitute the "neutrals" and thus that does not mean that the majority view is that this years Six Nations was the worst ever and was crap to watch.

Has anyone even taken into account the views of the French or Italian guys here? Or do they not count in this Celtic fantasy world of ours? Don't you guys let the cynical nay-sayers get you down! You played really well, with passion and entertained many a fan across the globe. Be proud of your Grand Slam!

:lol:

I prefer it to the World Cup where you have a month of big teams squashing minnows then one or two big games that are usually quite dull because the teams are too nervous and conservative to play any rugby.

I think it trumps the Tri Nations too, possibly because there are only three teams, also because they're quite similar countries.

[/b]
Dude.. Please.. For your sake, take those comments back.

I beg you.

<div class='quotemain'>

I think it trumps the Tri Nations too, possibly because there are only three teams, also because they're quite similar countries.

[/b]

I beg you. [/b][/quote]

G'day Steve-o, you got some sheep wool and a can of Steinlager to go with that kudu-meat?

I beg you. [/b]

Never! :D

Well Australia and New Zealand are very similar. If you put a fellow from each country in front of me, wrapped in their respective but highly similar flags, speaking in their respective but highly similar accents, I could not tell them apart.

I prefer it to the World Cup where you have a month of big teams squashing minnows.[/b]

Yeah, it's really boring to watch Fiji and Argentine beating minnows like Wales and France :p

<div class='quotemain'>Dude.. Please.. For your sake, take those comments back.

I beg you. [/b]

Never! :D

Well Australia and New Zealand are very similar. If you put a fellow from each country in front of me, wrapped in their respective but highly similar flags, speaking in their respective but highly similar accents, I could not tell them apart.
[/b][/quote]
This coming from a guy who comes from one of 3 countries that are camping on one small over populated island, and calls it diverse. :blink:

But that dig you take at the 3N and the WC is REALLY narrow sighted.

Nidhogg pointed out a fact, and I got many more to shoot your comments down.

But we can avoid all that!

Take your comments back sir!

I normally tune in to the 6 Nations matches but I haven't watched a single one this year, I have found it to be pretty dull.

This coming from a guy who comes from one of 3 countries that are camping on one small over populated island, and calls it diverse. :blink:

But that dig you take at the 3N and the WC is REALLY narrow sighted.

Nidhogg pointed out a fact, and I got many more to shoot your comments down.

But we can avoid all that!

Take your comments back sir! [/b]

Well, you could just focus on the fact that South Africa is not Australia for starters...

Latest posts