• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst Six Nations Ever?

Steve-o, if the guy has an opinion what kind of a fascist society do you live in which makes you want him to keep his mouth shut?
If he prefers the 6N then he prefers it. Nuff said.

And yes, Britain is diverse. If you don't believe me, ask the polish couple who own a restaraunt back in my small home town...or the chinese....or the indians...or the slack-jawed yokels in the deep, dark disturbing valleys.

Please refrain from having to "shoot down" people's opinions.

Prestwick says:

143.jpg

Yeah, it's really boring to watch Fiji and Argentine beating minnows like Wales and France :p [/b]

:p But the fact that Fiji beating Wales was such a big deal just goes to show how predictable the early stages of the World Cup are. And Argentina haven't been 'minnows' for years. By the time you get to the final few matches of the World Cup it's mostly just a lottery. If it were a true reflection of quality there wouldn't have been a NH team in the Semi Finals last year.

As for the Tri Nations - playing the same two teams over and over is boring. Teams playing each other three times rather than two just makes it more boring and smacks of profit greed. Plus because it's played in different timezones you can't watch an afternoon of rugby and have to get up at an ungodly hour to catch some games. They should include a team from Argentina and the Pacific Islands forthwith to spice things up.

The Six Nations enjoy hiuge viewing figures for a reason. There's more history between the countries, they're all close enough so you can go for a weekend and enjoy Paris, Dublin, Rome, London, Edniburgh, Cadiff, amongst the best cities on earth. They can play all the matches straight after each other in an afternoon.

This coming from a guy who comes from one of 3 countries that are camping on one small over populated island, and calls it diverse.[/b]

What does diversity have to do with geography or population? Europe is the smallest continent but probably the most culturally diverse, owing to about four thousand years of all out war. Australia and New Zealand are countries settled relatively recently, and apart from the two indigenous cultures the dominant culture of both are primarily very similar Anglo-American cultures.

I think this years six nations had alot of the positives we love about the competition: history, passion and drama.

Was the standard of play high???? I think the standard of defence was high, but attacking flair was kept to a minimum, and it's for this reason that many will see it as a poor year.

R C, I did not tell him to take back his personal preference. You've missed the plot.

He has drawn up silly conclusions as to why he dislikes the 3N and the WC. If he said 'I prefer the 6N over every other international comp. Just cause I do.' Then kudos to him for living in a bubble.

But, alas, he didn't. He tried to bring them down to build up the 6N. That's my problemo.

And just to add a lil spice he states the 3N countries are to similar.

How... daft

...See you in the morning

But, alas, he didn't. He tried to bring them down to build up the 6N. That's my problemo.[/b]

Oh come on, this isn't another North versus South squabble. You're better than us at rugby. I make no attempt to bruise any rugby egos. But the structure of the Six Nations, with six teams playing each other the once, as well as the cultural diversity and milenia old mutual (though friendly) antagonism makes for a more entertaining competition at its core.

Prestwick says:

Boom.jpg

<div class='quotemain'>
I prefer it to the World Cup where you have a month of big teams squashing minnows then one or two big games that are usually quite dull because the teams are too nervous and conservative to play any rugby.

I think it trumps the Tri Nations too, possibly because there are only three teams, also because they're quite similar countries.

[/b]
Dude.. Please.. For your sake, take those comments back.

I beg you. [/b][/quote]

Ok, that's from previously in the thread.
That to me is Macsen stating his opinion, you know, due to the fact that he starts each paragraph with, "I prefer" and "I think..." respectfully.
You asking him to take those back is, in my view, trying to censor him of his opinion.

Instead of doing that, just argue your point. Don't threaten them to take back what they have to say otherwise you'll "shoot them down".
Understood, Cowboy?

Prestwick says:

Droppin.jpg

<div class='quotemain'> Only the whole of the BBC Boards. <_< [/b]

xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

[/b][/quote]Saw that cartoon a couple of weeks ago - brilliant.

I don't think anyone is getting at Wales by criticising the tournament. You guys should be chuffed - the team is still quite uneven, but was clearly the best and may be the best for years to come.

Last year we had France-Ireland: an absolute, nail biting classic between two teams at the top of their form. Nothing even close to that this year, not even the excitement of Wales-England. That's my only point, really.

Last year we had France-Ireland: an absolute, nail biting classic between two teams at the top of their form. Nothing even close to that this year, not even the excitement of Wales-England. That's my only point, really.
[/b]

You sure? France - Ireland this year was engrossing and nail biting to watch as well...

Last year we had France-Ireland: an absolute, nail biting classic between two teams at the top of their form. Nothing even close to that this year, not even the excitement of Wales-England. That's my only point, really.[/b]

Yes but you're speaking as an Irishman there, and that game was Steeped in Meaning ™ since it was the first to be played at Croke Park. I too was biting my nails and gutted for Ireland but was that down to the quality of the match or the enormity of the occasion I'm not sure. That's what I think the Six Nations has as its greatest asset, that there's so much history behind each game. Even though the Scotland v England game was crap as a rugby game, it was these two countries with so much history (just listen to the anthems!) scrapping it out in the wind and rain for a 136 year old tinpot trophy made of Indian roupees. That's bloody awesome, and for all the quality of tri nations rugby I don't think they can match that.

I must confess that I have no idea how good Wales' games were to the neutral observer, but for me they were an enthralling experience that transcended sport. :D

There are three different arguements here.
  1. As a tournament it still had sufficient drama to keep it entertaining. Italy's drop goal against Scotland, Ireland failed comeback against France, Englands win in Paris, Scotlands win over England, and of course Wales win over France. Overll there were plenty of moments to get the neutrals up off their feet and shouiting at the TV. THAT is why it trumps the tri nations as a tournament. The rugby aint as good as what is offered down there, but the drama is far superior, round after round.
  2. As for the quality of rugby played. Look at it this way, two years ago teams were heading south for the summer and realistically chasing wins against the SH teams. Now, if they were all to travel tomorrow, I dont think any of them would come home with a meaningful win, and would fully expect all teams to take a thourough tanking while they were at it. That is probably the best way to evaluate this tournament. Are any of the teams capable of winning in the SH? I dont think so.
  3. Are we only having this conversation because Wales won the GS? Nahhh I dont think so. I'm pretty sure we could have this conversation every couple of years as its the nature of NH rugby. It does take the shine of the Welsh win for the fans (i mean in a sour grapes kinda way), but if I was Welsh i wouldnt give a f*** what the begrudgers say. You can only beat whats put in front of you, and you guys did it.
    At the same time though, you have to remember that you experienced a totally different tournament to the rest of us. We saw our teams fail to live up to any of our expectations, so we obviously have different opinions to the Welsh on the tournament as a whole. Its not really begrudgery, were just saying it as were seeing it.

What does diversity have to do with geography or population? Europe is the smallest continent but probably the most culturally diverse, owing to about four thousand years of all out war. Australia and New Zealand are countries settled relatively recently, and apart from the two indigenous cultures the dominant culture of both are primarily very similar Anglo-American cultures.
[/b]
Just as a point of clarification, there is no hint of Anglo-AMERICAN cultures, we were settled by the British, the dominant cultures aren't as dominant as they once were with a large amount of European immigrants and a large and ever growing amount of Asian populations...it's not all vanilla icecream over here anymore...

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
I prefer it to the World Cup where you have a month of big teams squashing minnows then one or two big games that are usually quite dull because the teams are too nervous and conservative to play any rugby.

I think it trumps the Tri Nations too, possibly because there are only three teams, also because they're quite similar countries.

[/b]

I beg you. [/b][/quote]

That to me is Macsen stating his opinion, you know, due to the fact that he starts each paragraph with, "I prefer" and "I think..." respectfully.
You asking him to take those back is, in my view, trying to censor him of his opinion.

Instead of doing that, just argue your point. Don't threaten them to take back what they have to say otherwise you'll "shoot them down".
Understood, Cowboy?

[/b][/quote]
I gave him a chance to take back his comments because...

1) The Tri nations and the WC have nothing to do with this thread. NOTHING. It's about the standard of the play WITHIN the 6N

2) When he brought the Tri Nations and the WC into the discussion, he brought me into the discussion because my country competes in both competitions.

I don't give a flyin **** what his personal opinions are. But he stated VERY incorrect things about both competitions.

And RC please stop acting like the gate keeper of free speech, you've told me to STFU aka Shut The F*** Up, when I've expressed my opinion before.

The only reason you've taken notice of this is because he's a blabbering *** who happens to be Welsh.

If someone had to come on here and say 'I hate the 6N because their rugby is crap. Half the team are migget lovers'.

Would you not tell them to go get fuct for saying something that stupid?

I would do, and I did.

If you look at what happened, it was interesting. England losing to Scotland? :eek: But if you watched the match you will know it was insanely boring.

The only reason you've taken notice of this is because he's a blabbering *** who happens to be Welsh.[/b]

Heh, I've obviously trod on a nerve somewhere here. All I've done is given my opinion and reasons to back them up. The limitations of the Tri Nations isn't a judgement on the teams playing in it at all - the same limitations would apply whatever three teams took part - so I don't know why you're taking this so personally. The tournament was set up by David Moffett after all so it's a criticism of a fellow Welshman if anything. ;)

If you've got reasons for disagreeing with me then let me know instead of just calling people names. ;)

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I beg you. [/b][/quote]

Understood, Cowboy?

[/b][/quote]
I gave him a chance to take back his comments because...

1) The Tri nations and the WC have nothing to do with this thread. NOTHING. It's about the standard of the play WITHIN the 6N

2) When he brought the Tri Nations and the WC into the discussion, he brought me into the discussion because my country competes in both competitions.

I don't give a flyin **** what his personal opinions are. But he stated VERY incorrect things about both competitions.

And RC please stop acting like the gate keeper of free speech, you've told me to STFU aka Shut The F*** Up, when I've expressed my opinion before.

The only reason you've taken notice of this is because he's a blabbering *** who happens to be Welsh.

If someone had to come on here and say 'I hate the 6N because their rugby is crap. Half the team are migget lovers'.

Would you not tell them to go get fuct for saying something that stupid?

I would do, and I did.
[/b][/quote]

portrait-williams.JPG

Oh Matron!!!

If you look at what happened, it was interesting. England losing to Scotland? :eek: But if you watched the match you will know it was insanely boring.
[/b]

I agree it was the most Dire game ive seen since the 6-6 draw between Scotland and Ireland in 1994, it was horrible spectacle, with neither team doing anything other than waiting for full time.

I found this years Six Nations to be a bit of a 'hit and miss' affair to be honest but it's often that way is it not?
The Scotland v England match was truly awful but most of the other games saw some good rugby played even if only in parts.
I though Wales were extremely impressive defensively and for me had the two standout players of the tournament in the two Williams.
Overall and despite Englands woes I enjoyed the comp but I expect the next one to be better with no WC hangovers on display.

I............ the two standout players of the tournament ...............[/b]

that's why it wasn't a truly great 6N. some good performances and you could argue that there were a few more standout performances. I couldn't think of a full XV where everyone was a standout player, and there was a perilous lack of world class players in many games.

In my mind a great 6N should feature at least 2 sides who can compete well with the SH sides. This year we didn't. Not the worst ever though.

I'm totally new to watching rugby and to this forum (duh), so I've been lurking around here in case I could pick up some Wisdom :p

I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed the Six Nations and I'm chuffed for Wales, but a bit sad that it's over. I can understand the argument about the lack of attacking play on an overall basis, as that is what seems to be my cup of rugby-tea. Even as an enthusiastic newbie I got bored with Scotland v England.

I'll probably look back on this 6N and compare future tournaments to it, and if rugby fans more or less agree that it was not the pinnacle of rugby performance, that means I can expect a lot in the years to come! (Insert 'Always look on the bright...'.)

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my newfound enthusiasm. Trust me to start watching something that's never on telly here.

Latest posts