Your 31 man Squad and Starting 15 for Your country in the Rugby World Cup 2019 guys part 2 :)

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2019' started by ruck987, Jan 1, 2019.

1. George Ford

George Ford Senior Member

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Read as:

FORWARDS (17)
    Props: (LHs) Kitshoff, Mtawarira, (THs) Oosthuizen, Louw, Nyakane, (Utility) Du Toit (6) - Malherbe?
    Hookers: Marx, Brits, Van der Merwe (3) - Mbonambi?
    Locks: (4s) Etzebeth, (5s) Snyman, De Jager (3) - Mostert?
    Flanks: (6s) Kolisi, Van Staden, (7s) Du Toit, Du Preez, (4) - Coetzee?
    Eighthmen: Vermeulen (1) - Whiteley?

BACKS (14)
    Scrumhalves: De Klerk, Papier, Van Zyl (3) - Jantjies
    Flyhalves: Pollard, Jantjies (2) - Bosch?
    Centres: (12s) Esterhuizen, De Allende, (13s) Kriel (3) - Serfontein?
    Wings: (11s) Dyanthi, Specman, (14s) Kolbe (3) - Nkosi?
    Fullbacks: Le Roux, Willemse, Gelant (3) - Lleyds?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

How badly injured is Pollard?

4. sCriv

sCriv Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

My England training squad:

Forwards (17)

M.V (even if still injured bring him), George, Sinckler, Hartley (Just come back from injury but I'd still have him despite not playing for a long time. Need these sort of leaders in a dressing room at a WC imo, At least should be in the training squad and make an assessment on his fitness during that period. Even if he goes to Japan and doesn't play hes still a huge dressing room preesence)
    Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Williams, Moon, Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Launchbury, Mercer, Curry, Shields, B.V, Kvesic,.

Backs (14)

Goode, Brown, Daly, Tuilagi (if fit), Slade, Thorley, Atkinson, Spencer, Wigglesworth, Cipriani, Farrell, May, Nowell, Cokanasiga.

Starting XV:

Assuming everybody's fit

15. Goode
    14. May
    13. Slade
    12. Farrell (c)
    11. Daly
    10. Cipriani
    9. Spencer
    8. B.V
    7. Curry
    6. Mercer
    5. Kruis
    4. Itoje
    3. Sinckler
    2. George
    1. M.V

If Cipriani fails to make an impact, can easily move Farrell to 10 and take your pick of Tuilagi/Thorley/Atkinson to slot in at IC.
    Daly can even play centre if need be as he's very versatile, and bring on Big Joe or Nowell late on at 11/14 as super subs.
    Goode can even play at 10 if not, and bring on Mike Brown or switch Daly to full back.

Point is there's a lot of options there.

Players I'd personally have nowhere near the squad, but that EJ will likely call up anyway:

Ford, Youngs, Hughes, Cole, Teo.

5. scotty507

scotty507 Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Exeter

Alot of changes, thorley is a winger right? Atkinson is uncapped, Cips there is a real case for but he does have defensive issues and without faz issues from the boot and ford is on grest form for tigers in an underperforming team. Goode a squad player if in there.

I really rate mercer but i think its harsh on wilson. Who has been grest for us.

Your squad has too many players who are playing well but arnt within the setup and making that many changes would weaken our side that is going well

Post world cup, thorley, mercer, Atkinson and a few other young talants need to be looked at but its too soon, mercer is the only one who might get the call through injury or injury cover.

6. sCriv

sCriv Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

Fair comments all round, and I can see the case you're making.
    However, I'd make the following points:

1.) Thorley is a centre
    2.) Atkinson may be uncapped, but both him and Thorley have had exceptional seasons for Gloucester; both made the prem team of the year and offer something different.
    3.) Cips has been the outstanding player of the season and is the current best fly half in England by a million miles.
    4.) My squad is picked from in form players that have been consistent all season. I made this many changes because I don'#t agree that our side is going well and we need to try something different.
    5.) Mercer is awesome, and although it may be harsh on Wilson after playing well at the 6N, imo he's not been consistent enough at Falcons.

7. scotty507

scotty507 Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Exeter

I have only seen him play wing and he has played well there,

This is the world cup, they have no where near been tested at this level. We have issues but not massive ones enough to throw 2 uncapped players in the deep end and hope.

Cips is a tough one because attack hasnt been our weak point. And thoughing a better attacking player who has known defencive issues in would not fix the problems

I think we agree on the class of mercer and is not a bad bench option but i believe wilson is an experienced head we need in the team. Has done alot in the 6N and has been part of a failing falcons team.

8. sCriv

sCriv Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

Hmmmm. I'm not so sure. I think we had clear issues at the 6N, and I think we need to do something different at the WC rather than the same old, same old. This is why I think Cips/Goode/Thorley/Atkinson etc should all be there as they are all bang in form, had consistently brilliant seasons and all offer something different.
    Imo they can all perform at international level. Mercer certainly has the ability as well.

Would hardly call Wilson an experienced head with only 13 caps to his name either, and the fact he's been in a failing Newcastle side is why I'd leave him out, even it is harsh based off of his 6N performances.

9. BPM

BPM Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

I quite like your squad, but I don’t understand some of this.

Thorley is not a centre. He’s a winger and while he may be able to cover centre, I don’t believe he has ever played there at senior level. I only ever saw him play on the wing at age grade level too, so I’m not sure why you are so adamant he is a centre?

I think he is a fantastic player, but without a single cap to his name, it would be an extremely bold call to pick him.

Mercer is very good at club level, but unproven at test level. Wilson may well have struggled to single-handedly win games for a very poor Falcons team, but he hasn’t been inconsistent. I’m not sure what you’re basing that on? Not to mention that he has been England’s player of the year. George Ford pretty much kept Tigers up on his own yet you’d have him nowhere near the squad?

I think I said earlier this thread that I really like Atkinson and would love to see him get a shot ahead of Te’o, but I also think it’s unlikely we’re going to parachute an uncapped bolter in at this late stage.

Harsh to leave out Underhill too.

When you say the uncapped players can all perform at test level, how can you back that up?

10. TobyBeastTeague

TobyBeastTeague Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Exeter

When has Thorley ever played centre? He's the most erratic winger in the Prem, playing him in the centres would be an absolute sh*t show.

11. argie

argie Senior Member

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

Jaguares

Argentina's extended roster named by Mario Ledesma.

1 TETAZ CHAPARRO, NAHUEL – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    2 VIVAS, MAYCO – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    3 ZEISS, JUAN PABLO – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    4 DÍAZ, JAVIER – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    5 GARCÍA BOTTA, SANTIAGO – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    6 CREEVY, AGUSTÍN – JAGUARES – UAR – HOOKER
    7 MONTOYA , JULIÁN – JAGUARES – UAR – HOOKER
    8 SOCINO, SANTIAGO – JAGUARES – UAR – HOOKER
    9 FIGALLO, JUAN – SARACENS – RFU – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    10 HERRERA, RAMIRO – STADE FRANCAIS – FFR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    11 MEDRANO, SANTIAGO – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    12 PIERETTO, ENRIQUE – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    13 SORDONI, LUCIO – JAGUARES – UAR – LOOSEHEAD PROP
    14 PETTI, GUIDO – JAGUARES – UAR – LOCK
    15 LAVANINI, TOMÁS – JAGUARES – UAR – LOCK
    16 ALEMANNO, MATÍAS – JAGUARES UAR – LOCK
    17 PAULOS, LUCAS – JAGUARES – UAR – LOCK
    18 MATERA, PABLO – JAGUARES – UAR – BACK ROW
    19 LEZANA, TOMÁS – JAGUARES – UAR – BACK ROW
    20 ISA, FACUNDO – TOULON – FFR – BACK ROW
    21 ORTEGA DESIO, JAVIER – JAGUARES – UAR – BACK ROW
    22 KREMER, MARCOS – JAGUARES – UAR – BACK ROW
    23 BRUNI, RODRIGO – JAGUARES – UAR – BACK ROW
    24 LEGUIZAMÓN, JUAN MANUEL – JAGUARES – UAR – BACK ROW
    25 CUBELLI, TOMÁS – JAGUARES – UAR – SCRUM-HALF
    26 BERTRANOU, GONZALO – JAGUARES – UAR – SCRUM-HALF
    27 LANDAJO, MARTÍN – JAGUARES – UAR – SCRUM-HALF
    28 EZCURRA, FELIPE – HINDÚ – URBA – SCRUM-HALF
    29 SÁNCHEZ, NICOLÁS – STADE FRANCAIS – FFR – FLY-HALF
    30 URDAPILLETA, BENJAMÍN – CASTRES – FFR – FLY-HALF
    31 DÍAZ BONILLA, JOAQUÍN – JAGUARES – UAR – FLY-HALF
    32 MIOTTI, DOMINGO – TUCUMÁN L.T. – URT – FLY-HALF
    33 GONZÁLEZ IGLESIAS, SANTIAGO – JAGUARES – UAR - FLY-HALF/CENTRE
    34 DE LA FUENTE, JERÓNIMO – JAGUARES – UAR – CENTRE
    35 ORLANDO, MATÍAS – JAGUARES – UAR – CENTRE
    36 MORONI, MATÍAS – JAGUARES – UAR – CENTRE
    37 MENSA, LUCAS – PUCARÁ – URBA – CENTRE
    38 MALLÍA, JUAN CRUZ – JAGUARES – UAR – CENTRE
    39 EZCURRA, BAUTISTA – JAGUARES – UAR – CENTRE/WING
    40 MOYANO, RAMIRO – JAGUARES – UAR – WING/FULLBACK
    41 DELGUY, BAUTISTA – JAGUARES – UAR – WING/FULLBACK
    42 CANCELLIERE, SEBASTIÁN – JAGUARES – UAR – WING
    43 BOFFELLI, EMILIANO – JAGUARES – UAR – WING/FULLBACK
    44 TUCULET, JOAQUÍN – JAGUARES – UAR – WING/FULLBACK
    45 MONTERO, MANUEL – PUCARÁ – URBA – WING
    46 CARRERAS, SANTIAGO – JAGUARES – UAR – WING/FULLBACK

12. TobyBeastTeague

TobyBeastTeague Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Exeter

Disappointed not to see Cordero in there.

13. scotty507

scotty507 Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Exeter

Was just thinking this, im still disappointed hes not staying at chiefs tbh.

14. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Now that the season is over, I'm going to do this again (this is the last one I swear).

Strictly my team, don't think Joe will pick it

1. Healy
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan (C)
    6. O'Mahony
    7. Van Der Flier
    8. Conan

9. Murray (provided we find* the actual version and get rid of the imposter that's pretending to be him currently)
    10. Sexton
    11. Stockdale
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Earls
    15. Kearney

16. Scannell
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Porter
    19. Toner
    20. Stander
    21. Cooney
    22. Byrne
    23. Larmour

John Ryan, Rory Best (as squad captain), Tadhg Beirne, Jordi Murphy/SOB (see above with Murray), Keiran Marmion, Joey Carbery, Bundee Aki and Will Addison (or Baloucoune/Byrne if Addison isn't).

Sticking with the exact same starting team isn't going to work, something needs to change to freshen things up. The most obvious way to go about this is to drop Best, a legend of Irish rugby, but one whose ability to influence a rugby game has been nonexistent for years. We have two obviously superior hookers in Cronin and Scannell, I don't see how we can justify leaving one of them out of the 23 in favour of a player who brings significantly less than them. I'd be perfectly happy with Scannell as a starter too, the main reason I've got him on the bench is because a replacement front row of Kilcoyne, Cronin and Porter is going to have me far too stressed for every scrum after the 60 minute mark. The other obvious swap is to bring in Jack Conan who is just straight up better in every area than Stander off the evidence of this season.

Henshaw and Ringrose showed again today that they're the easily the best centre pairing Ireland have had since D'Arcy and BOD, their ability to stay fit is going to be a deciding factor, as is the nation and the coaches moving on from the idea that Henshaw is a fullback and realising that playing one of the best 12s in the world at 12 instead of a position he's played twice in five years might actually be a good idea. Other than that, we just need to hope that Murray can refind himself over the summer, despite some wishful thinking in some quarters that his form has been better since the Six Nations he's still by and large been utter s****, flashes of his old self overshadowed by woeful service. We beat the All Blacks without him which shows he isn't integral to our game, if he isn't doing it come September we need to back the other options. I'd say the same about Sexton but he's actually been good in his occasional appearances for Leinster, one of the best players on the pitch against Toulouse, a non-factor in a game decided upfront against Saracens (he wasn't poor, just uninvolved, not really his fault), excellent off the bench against Munster and then overall good today despite a poor start.

*I wouldn't surprised if Warren Gatland has kidnapped them and they're trapped in his basement, especially O'Brien.

• Like Like x 1
  15. argie

argie Senior Member

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

Jaguares

My bad. All of them are Tighthead Prop.

16. BPM

BPM Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

Yeah me too. I have always enjoyed watching him.

As an England fan, I’d rather not play against him though!

17. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness Senior Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

What I think they’ll pick but not what Iwant

1. Moody
    2. Coles
    3. Franks
    4. Retallick
    5. Whitelock
    6. Squire
    7. Cane
    8. Read
    9. Smith
    10. Barrett
    11. Ione
    12. Crotty
    13. Goodhue
    14. Smith
    15. Barret
    16. Karl
    17. Taylor
    18. Lomax
    19. Barrett
    20. Savea
    21. Perenara
    22. Mo’unga
    23. Sbw

Tuungafasi
    Harris
    Tuipolotu
    Frizell
    todd
    Ttt
    Alb
    naholo

What I’m most unsure of is Todd and frizell. They could go with papalii and another back, eg josh Ione or Sevu Reece.

18. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Adjusted my team above based on form. Note that my philosophy in World Cup games is that you finish with your most experienced and or reliable players, which means typical ‘impact’ players might be in my starting team.

19. Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher Senior Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Like this team - I have been personally watching all the right wing options this season as I really don't like Jordie playing fullback when Ben is available. Right now I would go for Braydon Ennor on the wing but a few weeks ago I wanted Reece. Unproven players in superb form is a b***h for selectors!

I think 3rd halfback is up in the air but realistically nothing to worry about - not really a high attrition position.

they will go with squire I think but this position has been Hansen's black mark over the last 2/3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Umaga's Witness

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Really good points here. Note the team you quoted was what I think they will pick, not what I’d pick. I was struggling with my last outside back option for the squad too and also dont like the idea of Jordie at 15. I would pick naholo to start but I am thinking of changing my mind for the backup, as I currently have havili but potentially a wing backup rather than fullback would fit better. I think George bridge is still a possibility in the selectors minds. I haven’t really noticed how ennor and Reece fare under the high ball. Have you? Alaimalo would be another option

21. Roady

Roady Junior Member

Mako
    George
    Sinckler
    Itoje
    Kruis
    Wilson
    Curry
    Billy

Youngs
    Faz
    May
    Tuilagi
    Slade
    Nowell
    Daly

Hartley
    Genge
    Cole
    Lawes
    Underhill
    Care
    Cipriani
    Big Joe

Moon
    LCD
    Williams
    Launch
    Robshaw
    Spencer
    Ford
    T'eo

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!