• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Questions about Computer AI

L

locksley

Ok, here goes

A few of you have been asking about the Computer AI and what kind of things it does. Remember, the demo was set on "easy", so the AI was never going to be top of the tree, however, I did notice the following!

1. Yes, they did score tries against me!

2. In one of the matches, As soon as I kicked off, they went straight for the gap in the middle of the field, and ran straight in under the sticks!!!

3. 90% of the time, in their own 22 they'll kick the ball away, but, once, I kicked it to them, but I didn't have much defence out wide. The AI must have realised this, cos instead of kicking it, they through a long pass wide to Sailor and he almost went full length to score! It was class. I'm sure I've got this bit on video somewhere, I'll see if I can chuck this on.

Edit: Just watched this bit again, and you can clearly hear someone shout "Overlap" before they pass the ball! Brilliant

I presume there is three difficulty settings??

So in a nutshell the AI (even on easy) seems to be pretty good??ie. It shoots for goal at the right times, it doesn't throw unnecessary passes when it is likely to score anyway, it doesn't just attempt to play one way??

Sounds like if you turn the "on field" sound up you can really experience all the shouting and goings on on the pitch, and in some cases adapt your play to what is being said??

Here's the vid of that part I was telling you about!

Sorry that it cuts off, but the tap stopped!!!! However, the aussies went in to score in the corner.... not happy about that, but the AI is pretty damn good to do that!

Weird thing is though, the word "Overlap" is shouted by someone with a "cockney" british accent!
<

Overlap... Good AI

Very nice vid......

maybe it was the defender yelling out that the overlap was about to occur.........

Also like how the AI quickly accesses that the ball can be run from a defensive field postion, and also how the last man to pass draws the fullback perfectly for the winger to run clean away for the try.

good stuff

would be good if the defence new they had to spread out to prevent the overlap instead of just bunching up

Originally posted by funksoulbrother@Jan 30 2005, 09:18 AM
good stuff

would be good if the defence new they had to spread out to prevent the overlap instead of just bunching up
Maybe they hadn't realised that the ruck had been turned over, that's why the defender shouted overlap?

Originally posted by funksoulbrother@Jan 30 2005, 09:18 AM
good stuff

Don't quite buy that though.....

Locks actually had time to maybe stop that occuring, the man he is controlling goes into a very offside position, when that player could have been used to sure up the outside defense instead.........(having noticed the ball was turned over, and he was short out wide).

If the computer can take advantage of human error, then I will be well pleased!!

Nah that call sounded fake as. Even if it was a bloke from the English team it just didn't seem to fit, atleast in the video it didn't.

Hah. This game looks so bad. arggghhh. every video i see makes it look dodgier and dodgier.

Originally posted by woodie@Jan 30 2005, 11:14 AM
Hah. This game looks so bad. arggghhh. every video i see makes it look dodgier and dodgier.
ARE YOU NUTS!! THIS GAME LOOKS THE BEST OUT OF ALL THE GAMES EVER MADE! JLR WAS GREAT BUT THIS WILL BE TONS BETTER!!

you're a real font of optimism woodie ...

... but seriously, i doubt your pessimism is going to dampen everybodys hopes too much even if the game is not perfect - but were you really expecting it to be perfect?

- to say it looks bad/dodgy and laugh at the video footage seems a little harsh, can you not see from the same footage that the game has been improved greatly from R2004 and from locksley's own admission he is giving this version of the game a more balanced preview/opinion from the last version of the "game"

... I think its pretty safe to say that this version of the game is better then the last and if it is pretty playable and has some depth I'll be more then happy considering what we all had to put up with last time

... c'mon give it a chance, at least until we hear one bad report from somebody who has played it!

I can see u are going for the negative approach. U are probably doing this so that if the game turns out to be disappointing, you haven't got yourself excited over the game
<

Originally posted by woodie@Jan 30 2005, 12:14 PM
To put things in perspective - this demo was made in September last year! Almost 5 months ago!!!

thats a good aproach to rugby 2005(dissing the game).....but if the game is really good u will know that u regreted all those words bout...hell you'll proply ask admin to delete all the words!

Originally posted by umosay+Jan 30 2005, 12:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (umosay @ Jan 30 2005, 12:29 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-woodie
@Jan 30 2005, 12:14 PM
To put things in perspective - this demo was made in September last year! Almost 5 months ago!!! [/b]
Thanks umosay. Keep my hope levels up please as I have little of a leisure life.

There are some things that look like they could have improved on. But September last year was a long time ago.

Everyone is bound to have some concerns after the debacle that was Rugby 2004, but the fact is were just gonna have to wait and see.

The proof as they say is in the pudding. If its crap, its crap. If its good, its good.

I still have some doubts obviously, but the footage I have seen, I thought was pretty good and has probably raised my hopes a little.

Hopefully we will get plenty of opinions when the training camps get underway and it should give us a more balanced view of what to expect.

Not really sure if this is the right topic for this question so feel free to move it. Just wondered if any of you with a more inside knowledge of the workings of the industry could comment on how much change from this demo we could expect to see if indeed it was produced in sept. I realise distribution and packaging etc takes a long time, but just wondered purely out of interest. I think it's looking v impressive so far, no 'all defenders chase the ball carrier', and lines of running look to be well implemented, a real feel of momentum too. Oh, and locks, great work on the vids, any idea when you'll be getting a full version?

Probably because, as Locksley has said about a million times that the footage looks **** because of the poor quality of his video player

Latest posts