Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls...

The Rugby Forum is pleased to announce that we have managed to arrange a Q&A with Alastair Jarvis from HB Studios (HB_AJ).

The Q&A will follow this pattern:

Before asking any questions in this thread, please read the Rugby World Cup 2011 Explained Thread to check whether your question has already been answered, this will save a lot of time in administrating the questions and allows more Questions to be Answered.

This thread will close on Monday 4th July at 23:59 (British Summer Time)

Alastair will then post the Answers in this thread on Tuesday 5th July at 17:00 (British Summer Time)

Again Please Read the Rugby World Cup 2011 Explained Thread to check whether your question has already been answered

I know that the Scrum is very similar to that of R08, but I was wondering if you have improved on the pick and goes with the back three and how they can link up with the scrumhalf. Also did you improve the contest for a ball in the air after a kick? In R08, if no one jumped for the ball it was a bit of a fluke on who got it. Also jumping for the ball lead to a lot of dropped balls, which upset me as jumping for a ball is safer and can lead to penalties and happens very often in a real game, has this issue been corrected a bit, or is it affected by players stats more now?

Thanks, can't wait for the game.

Hye,

Is there more than just 1 animation for a sidestep, dummy, shoulder charge etc?
Similarly is it the same kicking animation again or is there a variation with players?

Would be happy as long as that pointless Healey-like/swerving sidestep has gone!

p.s thanks for finally bringing another rugby game and hopefully many more sequels!

Hye,

Is there more than just 1 animation for a sidestep, dummy, shoulder charge etc?
Similarly is it the same kicking animation again or is there a variation with players?

Would be happy as long as that pointless Healey-like/swerving sidestep has gone!

p.s thanks for finally bringing another rugby game and hopefully many more sequels!

I second that. Would like to know whether forwards and backs differ (along with individual players) :D :D :D

Are there more ways to break through tackles?

Would it matter if it's a big forward up against a small scrumhalf and visa versa?

Does stamina have an effect?

Last edited:
Have mauls been improved, are they in general play, not just in line outs and kick offs, can you purposely set a maul up or in a set play?
Cheers and Salud

This game would not be made without exclusive licenses.

I would like to apply this statement to the club teams. If what I am reading from other websites is correct, there will be no club teams in the game. Disappointing.

I would have thought that this would be a great opportunity to licence leagues that previously were overlooked by EA. Leagues such as the Orange Top 14 and the Rabodirect Pro 12(new name for celtic league) and the heineken cup for the first time would have brought a new freshness to the game.

Questions:
1. Will there be club teams and leagues in Rugby World Cup 2011, if not at start, as downloaded content after proper Rugby World Cup 2011?

2. Will there be a career mode like the world league in past rugby games?

will there be player ratings/ man of the match at the end of every game?

What can you tell us about online play? How will the matchmaking work? Will there be an online leaderboard/some sort of ranking system? Thanks Alistair

do you think you are ready to show us any gameplay trailers soon??

Thanks for taking time out to answer the questions we have and i carnt wait to get the game :)

THANKS HB :)

Are you able to release any information on the Music such as a list of tracks, or maybe just one song. ANYTHING!! Thanks

Will the pick and goes of the rucks be less evident? I mean,everybody feels when you were going to pick the ball

From the recent screenshots we have not seen a ref or assistant ref's will these feature in the game as people on the pitch or will it be similar to previous ***les where there are cut scenes with ref's in them?

Cheers Al :)

Alrighty, I have a few questions I can fire off for some Q&A goodness...

1. What game time and match weather options are available?
- Is it possible to play daytime, evening and night games
- What weather options are available... sunny, overcast, showers, heavy rain
- Is wind treated as a seperate weather variable and if so, what are the variables... light wind, blustery, strong winds

2. If present in the game, does Wind strength affect open play or just for the goal kicking elements?
- If affecting open play, does the wind strength and direction vary in different matches? i.e a clearing punt down field may drift an extra 10-15yards towards the try line or in a different condition the ball may get blown sideways out of touch after travelling just 30yards

3. Has the general AI, or specific teams AI, (or perhaps it is an individual player variable) been programmed to occasionally infringe at rucks and concede penalties, or will it always stay on the safe side of the law?
- If they have been configured to infringe, are they capable of infringing at all the same aspects of the game that the user controlled player can infringe at? e.g Can they throw a lineout in to the side, can they high tackle/spear tackle, get offside etc
- If they can infringe, can they also incurr yellow cards the same as the user controlled player can?

4. Do player injuries occur?
- Do they occur during matches only (and if occuring during a match, can they last for multiple games in RWC mode)
- Can they occur in between games in the RWC mode, representing training injuries for example?
- What levels of injuries exist (if any)... could a player play on during a game or be selected for the next game if carrying a light injury or slight knock, could a player be injured badly enough in a pool match to miss the rest of the tournament?

5. Are any future licenses announcements based solely off individual unions involved in the RWC?

6. I understand the decision to not include a player-creator to save development time for greater priority aspects and to not take the **** out of the unions you have not got the licenses for, but why was a Create-a-Tournament mode not included?

7. Will any representative teams be included for possible one-off international test matches aswell as in the pre-WC tours?
- Examples: Barbarians, French Barbarians, Unlicensed NZ Maori, Pacific Islanders, Argentina Jaguars etc?

8. During the main RWC mode, are other teams stats recorded and displayed for user comparison?
- i.e Can I see who is the top try scorer of the competition so far?
- How far can you drill down, will you be able to see an after match summary for AI only matches in other pools to see who scored what points?
- After each match, will there be a roundup facility highlighting other games scores and teams playing well (similar to FIFA11 career mode as an example)

9. How many player controlled teams can there be in the full RWC mode, can you assign a player to each of the 20 teams or is there a lesser limit?

10. While I understand that no DLC plans may yet be in place while you determine if the game will be a success after its release, have you left the core game programming open for DLC inclusion should the game do well enough? Or is it locked down so much that DLC is not viable...

That's about it for now

Oh, and I'd love to hear your ideas or thoughts on my previous proposal on pre-adding (or post-adding via DLC) a pool of transferable dummy players encompassing different sizes, shapes and appearances that we could edit ourselves.

Cheers HB-AJ!

Last edited:
will the game be running on a physics engine to control the tackles and the ball ? or will it be using 'canned' animations ?

I noticed that you have said you will not be using "**** take"s of player names for Aus/NZ, however, will each player in the respective teams have their correct stats dependant upon each player?

So if you have a character which looks similar to Dan Carter, yet he is called Gary Robson, will he still have the same stats as a licensed Dan Carter?

Also a second question, how similar will the un-licensed players look to their real life counter-parts? Obviously you cant use the exact likeness, but will it be at all similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts