• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

Swap Wood for Robshaw, think long and hard about best after the next 2 weekends and realise that BOD is an old man now. Otherwise, seems about fair.

However its nothing like the real team will be. Nowhere near Welsh enough.

Swap Wood for Robshaw, think long and hard about best after the next 2 weekends and realise that BOD is an old man now. Otherwise, seems about fair.

However its nothing like the real team will be. Nowhere near Welsh enough.

Show me a better 13.

Show me a better 13.

51310.accred.jpg

Or you mean one eligable for the Lions?

By that logic Jones is a shoe-in for 10.

Nah, Sexy Sex10 is a class above.

Well then, who would you pick? Assuming that 12 will be Roberts (a fair assumption considering all other 12's are either terrible or not from these parts) you're left with Tuilagi or Davies. Either choice will give you zero variance and naught but a bosh bosh bosh approach to our midfield play. Which, as the Welsh have shown repeatedly over the past year, does not work very well against the Australians.

Nah, Sexy Sex10 is a class above.

Well then, who would you pick? Assuming that 12 will be Roberts (a fair assumption considering all other 12's are either terrible or not from these parts) you're left with Tuilagi or Davies. Either choice will give you zero variance and naught but a bosh bosh bosh approach to our midfield play. Which, as the Welsh have shown repeatedly over the past year, does not work very well against the Australians.

Think of this though if Doc Roberts gets injured (which might happen) what would we do then?

BOD at 12 with Tuilagi/ Davies at 13 or....who else really is there?

Baritt would make me cry, Davies at 12 doesn't look great D'Arcy err no! or Tuilgi who can't pass. I do like Doc Roberts but i think he is rather 1 dimentional, i know he does that well but at the end of the day all home nations 12 are looking average at best.

I'd go BOD 12 Tuilagi 13!

A midfield of Tindall/Hape beat the Aussies home and away - it's hard to say what type of midfield excels against them :p
I have no qualms with BOD touring/starting if form dictates as such. Shouldn't get in on reputation, no matter how stellar the reputation is.

Think of this though if Doc Roberts gets injured (which might happen) what would we do then?

BOD at 12 with Tuilagi/ Davies at 13 or....who else really is there?

Baritt would make me cry, Davies at 12 doesn't look great D'Arcy err no! or Tuilgi who can't pass. I do like Doc Roberts but i think he is rather 1 dimentional, i know he does that well but at the end of the day all home nations 12 are looking average at best.

I'd go BOD 12 Tuilagi 13!

Agree with this

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks Adam jones is a must at tight head.
What does he have over dan cole.

Work rate: dan cole
Ball handling:dan cole
Scrummaging: every Englishman will say cole every Welshman will say jones

Agree with this

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks Adam jones is a must at tight head.
What does he have over dan cole.

Work rate: dan cole
Ball handling:dan cole
Scrummaging: every Englishman will say cole every Welshman will say jones

Well Adam Jones was the dominant prop when they faced off in the 6 Nations, so it is clear that Adam Jones has scrummaging over Cole. See the scrums on videos below.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/34Bc2OTe_xo#t=1067" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/34Bc2OTe_xo#t=1392" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

That more means that Jones is more dominant over Corbisiero than Cole is over Jenkins, as that's who they're scrummaging against.

I don't think it matters, at scrumtime, which one of the two is on the pitch as they're both better than their Aussie counterparts, so you have to look at their game elsewhere on the park, where Cole leads the way.

With 23 man squads they should both be involved in all of the tests (injuries aside), anyway.

That more means that Jones is more dominant over Corbisiero than Cole is over Jenkins, as that's who they're scrummaging against.

Yes, Adam Jones was even more outstanding then, as Cole had better scrummagers alongside him than Adam Jones did. Jones had Ken Owens who is a weaker scrummager than Rees or Hibbard and Gethin Jenkins who is a great player but isn't as good at the particular scrummaging department as Paul James.

I don't think it matters, at scrumtime, which one of the two is on the pitch as they're both better than their Aussie counterparts, so you have to look at their game elsewhere on the park, where Cole leads the way.

Didn't England predict they were going to destroy the Australian scrummage like France did and then actually end up a bit on the receiving end in their match this November?

With 23 man squads they should both be involved in all of the tests (injuries aside), anyway.

Agreed. Jones, Cole and one between Mike Ross or Euan Murray will all tour. It will all depend on who's on the best form next year.

This

Didn't England predict they were going to destroy the Australian scrummage like France did and then actually end up a bit on the receiving end in their match this November?
No. Any English supporter who has watched Marler play knew before the match that he wouldn't be destroying any scrums.

Last edited:
Cole is a very good scrummager but Jones is probably the best around at the moment and I'm not really sure how there's an argument there - particularly as Cole's still good enough to dick on the Aussies most times. I doubt most people would be that upset if either ran out, it's a win-win choice.

Personally, I think Feic is madder than John McAfee to pick Ashton. There's a lad who needs to buck his ideas up, although I accept it must be hard with this mob.

I scored a try with Healy on RWC11 once, doncha know.

Once.

These days, starting and replacement props shouldn't necessarily be first and second choice. Gloucester have a habit of putting out a mobile front row (our second-best props) first and then replacing the entire front row with a scrummaging front row (our best props) and exerting dominance in the scrum in the second half. It's won us a lot of penalties and even a couple of penalty tries and we are getting known for having a strong scrum.

I would do the same with the Lions. Start with Cole, who offers more outside the set piece. Then try to get the upper hand in the scrum with Jones against a tiring Aussie pack in the second half. Neither is first-choice imo, but this order makes sense.

No. Any English supporter who has watched Marler play knew before the match that he wouldn't be destroying any scrums.
I would like to see you scrummage against any international prop after recieving a Tear to your MLC 15 minuets into the match. Why does no one acknowledge marler was injured for the majority of that match, and has actually proved he is a decent scrummager in the last 30 premiership games he has played, this marler is a shite scrummager thing is so 2010.

These days, starting and replacement props shouldn't necessarily be first and second choice. Gloucester have a habit of putting out a mobile front row (our second-best props) first and then replacing the entire front row with a scrummaging front row (our best props) and exerting dominance in the scrum in the second half. It's won us a lot of penalties and even a couple of penalty tries and we are getting known for having a strong scrum.

I would do the same with the Lions. Start with Cole, who offers more outside the set piece. Then try to get the upper hand in the scrum with Jones against a tiring Aussie pack in the second half. Neither is first-choice imo, but this order makes sense.

Haha I'd picked up on that clever tactic of glousters too. Who would you pick over cole or Adams?

Latest posts