• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

Not sure what Wilkinson would bring to the table though. He's an excellent goal kicker, but we've got that with Halfpenny, Sexton, Farrell and even Biggar if that's what we want from out 10. He's a great defender as well, but that is also covered with Farrell and Sexton, whilst our centres are are going to be defensively strong no matter who we pick. He doesn't bring as much in attack as other options, and during his last spell at international level he was well below par, despite playing some good stuff for Toulon then as well. Maybe that was the Johnson factor, I don't know.

I'm not totally against him touring, but imo there are better options. Whoever goes, at least we're safe in the knowledge that O'Gara won't be there this time :D.

Last edited:
I agree there are better options. Those two options will almost certainly tour anyway. Wilkinson would be number 3.

I agree there are better options. Those two options will almost certainly tour anyway. Wilkinson would be number 3.

Maybe, let's wait and see how the next two rounds of the 6 nations go. If Biggar plays well in both, then I could see him going as third choice. He's been in fine form for the Ospreys for a couple of seasons now, and the big question marks were whether he could step-up to international level. Now that he's been given a run of games for Wales, he seems to be settling in nicely, and had a large role in both the wins against France and Italy, putting the forwards in the right places on the field to assert their dominance.

I know he had a slight hiccup early on against Ireland with the charged down kick, but he seems to have put that behind him. There's more to his game than what he's been able to show thus far, we'll have to see if he can assert himself a little more in the next two games.

A year ago I would have said that Hook would go as a utility back, covering a number of positions, negating the need for a third choice 10. But his limited game time for Wales has hurt his chances. He might still go instead of a 3rd 10 if Gatland wants to keep the squad small.

Jury is still out on biggar for me but still plenty of time to go yet . Think I would rather see flood go at the moment just because the difference in experience at test level is vast . Biggar is looking good so far in an under performing Wales team though

Jury is still out on biggar for me but still plenty of time to go yet . Think I would rather see flood go at the moment just because the difference in experience at test level is vast . Biggar is looking good so far in an under performing Wales team though
After how badly 'experienced England' did in the WC, and how well 'inexperienced England' have bounced back from that, I don't have too much faith in experience being all that important.

After how badly 'experienced England' did in the WC, and how well 'inexperienced England' have bounced back from that, I don't have too much faith in experience being all that important.

Yeah this is one of the main things that really annoys me about certain coaches - picking players on past form and "experience" rather than how well they are playing now. It's probably the main reason Warburton has been picked ahead of Tipuric for Wales this week.

You could argue Biggar has been just as good, if not better, than Farrell in the past three matches. Controversial, I know, but hear me out.

People keep arguing for Wilkinson's inclusion based on how many points he scores. That means nothing in terms of a players ability. Farrell has scored 42 points, Biggar 0. Does that make Farrell that much better than Biggar? Of course not, because Halfpenny is kicking, therefore we can ignore points scored statistics.

I just think that although Farrell is perhaps a steadier, Wilkinson-type, keep the points ticking over kind of player, Biggar offers more in attack and varies his game more. Biggar has had 3 try assists now, compared to Farrell's 1. Biggar has carried 19 times to Farrell's 9, maybe showing he can evade the tackler more easily than Farrell can. He has also carried over 69 metres, to Farrell's 30 (I know you can't read too much into that one). Biggar has beaten 4 defenders, Farrell is yet to beat one.

The only stat I can see that favours Farrell really is that he has missed less tackles (4) than Biggar (5), but one less tackle missed is hardly worth considering. But it does bring up questions for both players about their defensive abilities, perhaps.

I know you can't base this solely on statistics, but that 4 defenders beaten and 19 carries stat are big ones for me. They clearly show an ability to exploit the defence from the first-receiver position.

Anyway, let the debate continue...

Oh, and for the record, Burns should be starting for England this weekend. He is by far the best fly-half option for England, and offers so so so much more in attack. I've said this in the past, but I still think he is the fly-half from the northern hemi that I can most see the potential to develop into a player of Dan Carter's class. I hope Gatland has been watching him in the Premiership, because if I were head coach he would be on that plane in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that a good award to win :D

It was coined in your honour. Then you went and learned all about punctuation, got yourself an education and wowed the ladies with your remarkable intellect...

See the lesson folks... The Rugby Forum improves lives and well-being! :p :lol:

Reminds me of Latvian jokes:

Man is hungry. He steal bread to feed family.
Get home, find all family have gone to Siberia!
"More bread for me", man think. But bread have worm.

Reminds me of Latvian jokes:

Man is hungry. He steal bread to feed family.
Get home, find all family have gone to Siberia!
"More bread for me", man think. But bread have worm.
Remind me not to visit Latvia anytime soon.

It was coined in your honour. Then you went and learned all about punctuation, got yourself an education and wowed the ladies with your remarkable intellect...

See the lesson folks... The Rugby Forum improves lives and well-being! :p :lol:
Well I did win it twice and 3 times would be a big relapse in my recovery :p
But education can be overrated when you see clowns ruling our country

Exactly - that's a fantastic prize! I think in this case the prize should be something like 'Member least able to post comprehensibly from his phone' - as that's the only reason I can really come up with to explain such a post :p

Or "Member least able to type while occupied elsewhere :masturbanana:"

Why didn't I think of these ideas to cover my faults these last 2 years :iamwithstupid3jd:

images

Latest posts