• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Ireland vs Italy (Round 4)

[video=youtube_share;BJCmXoKU6zc]http://youtu.be/BJCmXoKU6zc[/video]

This fella knows his rugby...

Ireland stand about as much chance as Wales of winning the next World Cup, ie. none.

Don't let the Welsh hear that. As far as they're concerned they practically won the last one with only a **** ref stopping them. The fact they would have played the ABs that they haven't beaten in decades would have just been a minor issue. Now many are convinced they have already won the current 6N and are the best team in the world with the best players in every position (seriously I'm not making this stuff up, I've actually heard all the above claimed by various Welsh people and not as a joke).

Ireland stand about as much chance as Wales of winning the next World Cup, ie. none.

no good reason why not, unlike other years. There's no 'good reason' why Ireland shouldn't win the next WC. Looking at things right now, unless France find the true cohesion of old, they're consistent and organized enough, have the right coach and players; throughout that XV (or even 23); that they should be favorites in that Pool with France and Italy.

But there is going to be great pressure in that pool though...pressure possibly no other pool will be facing !...for whoever comes second...whoever dares come second must face in the 1/4F.........THE ALL-BLCIKS !!!..
aww, fkn......totally killed the climax there...got too excited, damn it, I ALWAYS do this !!...so as I was saying, whoever comes second plays the Blacks. There.

Now many are convinced they have already won the current 6N and are the best team in the world with the best players in every position (seriously I'm not making this stuff up, I've actually heard all the above claimed by various Welsh people and not as a joke).

well that's okay, last year a ton of English people thought England were on the verge of winning a Grand Slam; let alone the ***le; and were bringing up the 2003 side. We all know the tragic end of that story though....but hey, let the people dream ;)

Last edited:
hey I know France Ireland hasn't even occurred here this year, but guess when we do battle during the RWC ??? :p
That's right, dead last game of the pool ! 11 October 2015, Millennium Stadium. Normally, we should've won every game til that point (Italy, Canada, Europe 1), and that match will decide who plays the AB's. :D

But before your blood gets pumping, remember: relax, it's just Feb of 2014....and Ireland are playing Italy at home in 10 days.

Ireland better start chugging the weight gain shakes then. There's still time!

Ireland better start chugging the weight gain shakes then. There's still time!

oh no, they're fine. You got it all mixed up Olyy. It's France's third row that better "shape up". Pizza Hut, MacDo...whichever.

BREAKING NEWS: Japan is now ranked higher than Italy it sums everything up

BREAKING NEWS: Japan is now ranked higher than Italy it sums everything up

yes, I saw this...but Japan doesn't play France, Ireland, Wales, Scotland or England on the regular, do they ? Let alone NZ, Aus or Arg in Spring/Autumn tests...

But more importantly.....France is ranked 7TH now !! :D Ireland back in the Top 5...ehh, we'll get it back....

Schmidt gave press briefing today and had a listen. Here are main points:

Zebo won't be included as Schmidt said yes he has been excellent in his last few games against Zebre Cardiff Ospreys and HEC but both Ireland's wingers have been superb in Twickwnham and 2 issues are "realms apart".

Was asked about "game time" comments. He said TOD was sent back to play and get time for Murphy and when asked would same now apply to guys like McFadden he said no as he covers too much in backs and is a player "who performs regardless of time".

On rotation for Italy game. There'll be little rotation as players should be grand having played only 1 game in 4 weeks prior to kickoff for Italy. They train Wednesday and Thursday. Are then off until Monday so there should be no issue.

On BOD and form. He said he 1 of form centres in Europe and won't be rested as he has played very little games this year and is fresh.

On injuries. POM is a lot better than expected and will be fine for Italy. Sexton has thumb in hand splint and is being monitored. If he plays full game vs Castres this weekend they might rest him vs Italy. Bowe will unlikely play in 6Nations.

My points to ask are:
Is this game time and form process different for each player/position.
Regards his bench why have Jackson on bench if he doesn't trust him. Sexton was playing poorly, half concussed and shattered from tackling vs Eng at 65mins why not change.
I think Schmidt is a good coach but whatever about the job he's beginning to waffle as much as Deccie or EOS. There must be some potion in that job.
And regards squad building: I think we have depth available but not being used. We have no pace in our backs but it's not being addressed. I'm not saying that means Zebo. He is fastest but if he doesn't rate him try Henshaw or someone with gas.
If we are all honest BOD is struggling. He played well defensively but he hasn't got pace so needs guys outside to have it. 1 has to give.
9&10 were both flat out by 60-65mins and should've been replaced. Neither were until Murray left at 80th min. Jackson only came on due to Bod injury.
Our pack played well but I still feel we aren't developing a genuine competition for places. Yes he rotates bench odd time Murphy/TOD they may get bench but no that's all.

yes, I saw this...but Japan doesn't play France, Ireland, Wales, Scotland or England on the regular, do they ? Let alone NZ, Aus or Arg in Spring/Autumn tests...

But more importantly.....France is ranked 7TH now !! :D Ireland back in the Top 5...ehh, we'll get it back....

but i still find that funny

but i still find that funny

EY !!! You're barely in the Top 10 Scotland, and things ain't looking like they gon get any better soon !! (well actually, Cotter's coming...).

Schmidt gave press briefing today and had a listen. Here are main points:

Zebo won't be included as Schmidt said yes he has been excellent in his last few games against Zebre Cardiff Ospreys and HEC but both Ireland's wingers have been superb in Twickwnham and 2 issues are "realms apart".

Was asked about "game time" comments. He said TOD was sent back to play and get time for Murphy and when asked would same now apply to guys like McFadden he said no as he covers too much in backs and is a player "who performs regardless of time".

On rotation for Italy game. There'll be little rotation as players should be grand having played only 1 game in 4 weeks prior to kickoff for Italy. They train Wednesday and Thursday. Are then off until Monday so there should be no issue.

On BOD and form. He said he 1 of form centres in Europe and won't be rested as he has played very little games this year and is fresh.

On injuries. POM is a lot better than expected and will be fine for Italy. Sexton has thumb in hand splint and is being monitored. If he plays full game vs Castres this weekend they might rest him vs Italy. Bowe will unlikely play in 6Nations.

My points to ask are:
Is this game time and form process different for each player/position.
Regards his bench why have Jackson on bench if he doesn't trust him. Sexton was playing poorly, half concussed and shattered from tackling vs Eng at 65mins why not change.
I think Schmidt is a good coach but whatever about the job he's beginning to waffle as much as Deccie or EOS. There must be some potion in that job.
And regards squad building: I think we have depth available but not being used. We have no pace in our backs but it's not being addressed. I'm not saying that means Zebo. He is fastest but if he doesn't rate him try Henshaw or someone with gas.
If we are all honest BOD is struggling. He played well defensively but he hasn't got pace so needs guys outside to have it. 1 has to give.
9&10 were both flat out by 60-65mins and should've been replaced. Neither were until Murray left at 80th min. Jackson only came on due to Bod injury.
Our pack played well but I still feel we aren't developing a genuine competition for places. Yes he rotates bench odd time Murphy/TOD they may get bench but no that's all.

Thornley was saying today that he told Zebo that he needs to work on his defensive positioning, which is fair enough considering that in the next few years we'll have Bowe, Earls and Fitzgerals at our disposal who are all as dangerous as Zebo in attack but are miles ahead when it comes to defence. He's still learning the international game himself, with a team that were behind the times under Kidney and still in his first few games so I'm fine with him perfecting the defensive system which, with one try conceded in three games, seems to be working. I'd like to see a bit of attacking rugby but I think at the moment Fitzgerald is the man to provide it ahead of Zebo if we're going to take one, I'd take both but Joe Schmidt has forgotten more about rugby than I'll ever know so I trust him!

Thornley was saying today that he told Zebo that he needs to work on his defensive positioning, which is fair enough considering that in the next few years we'll have Bowe, Earls and Fitzgerals at our disposal who are all as dangerous as Zebo in attack but are miles ahead when it comes to defence. He's still learning the international game himself, with a team that were behind the times under Kidney and still in his first few games so I'm fine with him perfecting the defensive system which, with one try conceded in three games, seems to be working. I'd like to see a bit of attacking rugby but I think at the moment Fitzgerald is the man to provide it ahead of Zebo if we're going to take one, I'd take both but Joe Schmidt has forgotten more about rugby than I'll ever know so I trust him!

2 points. If that is Schmidts problem why not bring him in to camp and work with him? Nothing is lost and don't have to play him.
Regards bringing in Luke he looked poor against Cardiff but if it is him fine. We need speed like going to Paris with current back line scares me as French will cope with them due to desperate lack of pace.

2 points. If that is Schmidts problem why not bring him in to camp and work with him? Nothing is lost and don't have to play him.

Doesn't appear to be his MO. Trimble was left out of the Autumn squad and given his 'homework' to do at Ulster - presumably the situation with Zebo is the same. He wants to see that improvement before he's involved.

I'm curious to see how it will play out, have to say.

EY !!! You're barely in the Top 10 Scotland, and things ain't looking like they gon get any better soon !! (well actually, Cotter's coming...).

yeah well scotland beating france on saturday nuff said!

Doesn't appear to be his MO. Trimble was left out of the Autumn squad and given his 'homework' to do at Ulster - presumably the situation with Zebo is the same. He wants to see that improvement before he's involved.

I'm curious to see how it will play out, have to say.

Hadn't thought of that comparison actually, fair point.

yeah well scotland beating france on saturday nuff said!

you're completely insane. Surely you severely damaged your head today and forgot about it. Obviously France is going to win this, at the last second with a drop goal, winning it 47-45.
(apologies to ppl around for off-topic, I'm done !)

Well as I said it doesn't have to be Zebo but Ireland desperately need speed

Latest posts