• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Scotland vs New Zealand

I think this match is going to be a lot closer that people think.

While the selection of so many second-line players may not be meant as a disrespect for Scotland, you can be sure that Vern Cotter will be calling it disrespect to his team. He will be using it as a motivation.

We did this once before on a NH tour, in 2005 when we played a completely different 15 against Wales and Ireland in consecutive weeks. We rattled up 41-3 and 45-7 victories in those two matches, but that Grand Slam team's second-line players were closer to their first-line counterparts than our current second-line are to our current first-line.

Scotland has probably never had a better chance going into an All Blacks test of winning it.

All Blacks by 7 or under

I'm quietly confident of a good AB's performance this weekend. Yes it is a 2nd string side, but outside of the tight-five, the rest of the team is pretty strong. The loose-forward trio is exciting - Cane has been superb for the AB's this season and Vito has a lot to prove. Perenara has looked sharp in recent weeks at halfback, some guy called Carter is at 10, Crotty and Fekitoa are both in great form in the mid-field, Piutau is showing great signs on the wing, and Ben Smith is back at fullback (that itself is worth at least 10 points to the side ;) ). The likes of Bill Williams and Savea could be pretty devastating in the last 20 minutes or so once the match opens up too.

Off course it all starts up front, so the tight-five need to do their jobs for the AB's backs to get clean ball to work with. Both Moody and Faumuina have impressed in recently, but Parsons is a complete unknown at test level - his lineout throwing needs to be spot on, as the lineout is a major attacking platform for the AB's. Thrush is perhaps slightly limited but has done a solid job for the AB's this year, while Bird has a lot of potential. With his height he is a real asset at lineout time, but what really impresses me is the aggressive way he hits breakdowns, though perhaps he can be a bit too aggressive at times....

As long as the weather is good I reckon the AB's will win pretty comfortably, by around 20 points.

I think it will be close for bit with NZ pulling away... i think the biggest tell is if you run through both teams and consider how many players you would swap?

Can't see many, other than possibly Richie Gray, and possibly Laidlaw.

I think it will be close for bit with NZ pulling away... i think the biggest tell is if you run through both teams and consider how many players you would swap?

Can't see many, other than possibly Richie Gray, and possibly Laidlaw.

I agree, there aren't many players I would swap if I had the choice. I would take Ford over Parsons though (if only for his experience), and definitely would take Maitland over Slade on the right wing...

I think Scotland may have 4 or 5 better players in their team better than their counterparts. The problem is that most of the other ten All Blacks are significantly better than the other ten Scottish players. Then of course there is a lot of talent sitting on our bench. Our B team really should beat Scotland by more than 7, especially considering the players all have a lot to play for.

I did predict a repeat of 2012 with a margin of about 30, but that call was before the teams were named. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland to give the ABs a scare. Then Hansen will get impatient and our replacements will kick them in the guts. I really don't know what to expect. The loose trio is pretty good. It's just the tight five, individually they each have merits, but how well they come together as a collective, I have no idea.

The midfield is an interesting discussion - would make for a great new thread. Who do others think the incumbent should be? A fit and healthy Ma'a Nonu should be the answer, but I want to say SBW. If we only brought SBW back from League to bring him off the bench then that's a bit of a waste to me. I think Fekitoa and Crotty are the future f'sure, but in terms of the present it'll be interesting. I hope SBW starts against Wales, I'd really like to see more of him.

I did predict a repeat of 2012 with a margin of about 30, but that call was before the teams were named. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland to give the ABs a scare. Then Hansen will get impatient and our replacements will kick them in the guts. I really don't know what to expect. The loose trio is pretty good. It's just the tight five, individually they each have merits, but how well they come together as a collective, I have no idea.

The midfield is an interesting discussion - would make for a great new thread. Who do others think the incumbent should be? A fit and healthy Ma'a Nonu should be the answer, but I want to say SBW. If we only brought SBW back from League to bring him off the bench then that's a bit of a waste to me. I think Fekitoa and Crotty are the future f'sure, but in terms of the present it'll be interesting. I hope SBW starts against Wales, I'd really like to see more of him.

For me it goes in order of first to last choice:

12 SBW, Nonu, Crotty
13 Smith, Crotty, Fekitoa

Basically I think Crotty is a very useful player because he is the only one I can see covering 12/13. Nonu has looked a bit jaded this season. I think he should be given an opportunity to retake the jersey next year but I'm not confident that he can do it. SBW is the best 12 and I don't know what he would be like defensively at 13. I'm sure he could adapt given enough time but I wouldn't be willing to chuck him in there just for the World Cup. Fekitoa runs too lateral for me to consider him a great option at 12.

Yeah I would definitely agree with that. Bit hard on Nonu I guess. Picks up an arm injury and that's him done sorta thing. But like you said, there probably will (and should) be opportunities for him next year.

I know there are a lot of Fekitoa fans out there, and for good reason. Not saying the guy isn't good. He won us that game in Brisbane and his breakdown work has actually been pretty decent this year. I just feel like Crotty has more dimensions to his game? Hard to explain. I feel like Fekitoa's party trick is running straight and hard with his huge legs pumping. I'm pretty sure Crotty does a few more things and has a superior distribution game.

Yeah I would definitely agree with that. Bit hard on Nonu I guess. Picks up an arm injury and that's him done sorta thing. But like you said, there probably will (and should) be opportunities for him next year.

I know there are a lot of Fekitoa fans out there, and for good reason. Not saying the guy isn't good. He won us that game in Brisbane and his breakdown work has actually been pretty decent this year. I just feel like Crotty has more dimensions to his game? Hard to explain. I feel like Fekitoa's party trick is running straight and hard with his huge legs pumping. I'm pretty sure Crotty does a few more things and has a superior distribution game.

Fekitoa has the potential to be great 2nd 5/8 but he is a raw talent at the moment who takes quite a few wrong options on attack.

I guess he'll get better at that with time. Nonu was the same when he first started out. He never passed the thing and his kicking game was non-existent.

k thanks guys. And although I'm eager to see Dan Carter play today in 2014 in the starting 10 Blacks jersey, I'm not expecting him to score eight tries and 53 points, I'm aware of his collection of injuries lately and that he's not a regular on the field, esp. not for the AB. But greatness doesn't ever just fly away, primarily because it doesn't have wings or a jetpack but also there's always at least a pinch of it that remains in a person's organism, like salt, and maybe we'll see some of those dance moves today.

Anyways !...hope Scoh'lind can surprise a few heads and turn a few people. FurryMeal Stadium can be a tricky fixture.

k thanks guys. And although I'm eager to see Dan Carter play today in 2014 in the starting 10 Blacks jersey, I'm not expecting him to score eight tries and 53 points, I'm aware of his collection of injuries lately and that he's not a regular on the field, esp. not for the AB. But greatness doesn't ever just fly away, primarily because it doesn't have wings or a jetpack but also there's always at least a pinch of it that remains in a person's organism, like salt, and maybe we'll see some of those dance moves today.

Anyways !...hope Scoh'lind can surprise a few heads and turn a few people. FurryMeal Stadium can be a tricky fixture.
Facepalm_(1).png

I think Scotland in the first half will have alot of energy and power, and will be within 7 points of NZ. Then I think that NZ will pull away around the 60 mark and it will result in around a 20-30 point game. The problem for Scotland is that Argentina just gave away so many penalties it made it easy to get points on the board. NZ wont give away a huge amount and though their attack has improved Scotland will get probably 2 chances for tries and NZ have the best defence in the world.

Don't agree with that, I think the right England team has the better defence.

Well I'm not one to make predictions where Scotland are concerned but I will admit that now we're close to kick off I'm a wee bit excited about this one. Let's hope that feeling hasn't been dashed about 20 minutes into the game.

"Kapa O Pango ,the hkaa from the 2nd album..." -Scottish commentator.

**** I already love Scottish commentators. Already infinitely better and stomach-able (and actually entertaining) than the English one.

Love you Scots. :)

If you put the ball in and your team doesn't hook it/it just stays in the middle then I think it should be a free kick, or at least have the put in reversed - you've had your chance, you chose not to use it.

New Zealand going for the three points.

Typical.

Latest posts