• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Wales vs South Africa

God, I was so sure the Boks would win the World Cup earlier during the year, and now they're not even making it out of the pools.

readImage

Luckily our pool is easy, surely we can manage Samoa and Scotland :p, personally I think we'll get through our pool beat either Aus or Wales and then go down to NZ in the semi's.

Luckily our pool is easy, surely we can manage Samoa and Scotland :p, personally I think we'll get through our pool beat either Aus or Wales and then go down to NZ in the semi's.

yes yes don't worry it was just some really clever humor from my part, mocking the current situation cleverly and notion that because South Africa lost a couple of tight games away they're now vulnerable and in crisis even and the whole world is falling apart, and then the clever little meme template for first world issues/rich people problems there. Todd Clever.

boring welsh side tho

Meh this is a pretty stupid outlook tbh . There's more than 1 way of winning a game of rugby . Maybe you don't understand how much the wales players NEEDED this . I thought it was a decent performance against a poor SA team

Meh this is a pretty stupid outlook tbh . There's more than 1 way of winning a game of rugby . Maybe you don't understand how much the wales players NEEDED this . I thought it was a decent performance against a poor SA team

SA weren't themselves in this game it's been a long year. Credit to Wales for win I think they just made it harder for everyone else come next year the springboks will be favourites alongside AB an Aus to win the cup.

SA weren't themselves in this game it's been a long year. Credit to Wales for win I think they just made it harder for everyone else come next year the springboks will be favourites alongside AB an Aus to win the cup.

True, but it felt like Wales improved a lot on their defense since the match against AB. Aside from Ireland, they were the consistent European team of these tests improving from game to game.

Jean De Villiers injury was OUCH, I hope he makes a speedy recovery. But on the other hand the Boks have a chance to find a creative No.12 that can unleash the Bok back-line.

Yes Jean De Viliers injury was n bad one and I do hope he will be back and fit for the Rugby World Cup, but to be honest he was not inform for the last few matches and probably needed a break. I would like to see someone better at creating opportunities to take his place, but I am not sure who that will be or if we have someone like that at this stage.

Congrats to Wales for beating us in this match, but I do not see it happening again anytime soon. The Springboks usually don't loose to the same opponent twice unless it is the AB lol. Anyway you guys deserved that victory :)

Jean De Villiers injury was OUCH, I hope he makes a speedy recovery. But on the other hand the Boks have a chance to find a creative No.12 that can unleash the Bok back-line.

How about on the other knee though ? *tah doom tss*

I agree. It's very, very, very, VERY untimely and tact-lacking to make such a comment and I do really wish JdV the best, least painful recovery physically and mentally and much positivity and things to look forward to - but I have to say this might be a "blessing in disguise" for SA. They lose a leader, a guy who works the ref, a vocal presence, a guy with tons of experience...but a guy whose game remains very one-dimensional, let's just come out and say it.
I hear from fans (notably stormertwothousandandten) South Africa have tremendous depth at center. I'll bet anything they've got another big body just like De Villiers out there somewhere who can offer more youth and athleticism; and maybe who may have a more flashy passing game to offer the Springboks for that first center powzition.

SA haven't been "themselves" all autumn . Looks from the outside that the depth is pretty shaky . Interesting times coming up for SA if you ask me .....

I have no doubt SA will be firing next year. On Wales I thought the played their best game against Aus if their halfback didn't force those passes they were certain to break their bad streak against the cons

How about on the other knee though ? *tah doom tss*

I agree. It's very, very, very, VERY untimely and tact-lacking to make such a comment and I do really wish JdV the best, least painful recovery physically and mentally and much positivity and things to look forward to - but I have to say this might be a "blessing in disguise" for SA. They lose a leader, a guy who works the ref, a vocal presence, a guy with tons of experience...but a guy whose game remains very one-dimensional, let's just come out and say it.
I hear from fans (notably stormertwothousandandten) South Africa have tremendous depth at center. I'll bet anything they've got another big body just like De Villiers out there somewhere who can offer more youth and athleticism; and maybe who may have a more flashy passing game to offer the Springboks for that first center powzition.
There is depth there. The problem is everyone comes with some drawback bar Serfontein. Serfontein has only suffered from being too similar a player to JdV. The options with their 'issues;
Frans Steyn - has a bad relationship with both HM and SARU but I feel he is our best option
Jaque Fourie - just retired so isn't an option anymore? Maybe worth it to ask him to reconsider ala Matfield
Juan de Jongh - many felt he was hard done by to not get a call up. Meyer feels he is to small.. I don't know, I feel that step and hand off of his might be worth it
Wynand Olivier/Rob Ebersohn - both probably out of consideration
Damian de Allende - my pick for the long term to partner Serfontein but I worry this is too soon for him. Wouldn't mind us taking a chance on him though.
Paul Jordaan/S'bura Sithole - both young Sharks 13's are exciting players but will fall into the JdJ category of too small for test rugby for HM

My preference would be 12 Steyn, 13 Serfontein with De Allende back up to both.

SA haven't been "themselves" all autumn . Looks from the outside that the depth is pretty shaky . Interesting times coming up for SA if you ask me .....

Well, the depth was enough to account for England at home. My main concern is more a lack of form rather than depth; if anything it's the 'back up' players that have been performing; Reinach, Coetzee, Oosthuizen, Lambie (apart from the Wales game) have been the better performers compared to the encumbents. Vermeulen seems a spent force.. rather not able to produce those Herculian performances post the win in Jo'Burg. That said he has been playing non-stop for province and country for 3 straight years now. Etzebeth is improving by millimeters every game but still not close to 2012 form after a year out of rugby, JdP and Mtawarira are spent forces, JdV's loss of pace and step is starting to show, Matfield has done well for an old man covering a gap but he is an old man covering a gap, Le Roux has been on a scary downward spiral and has gone from somewhat error-prone but worth it to a liability, Bismarck's line-out throwing has been atrocious so much so that Strauss has now claimed no.1. With FdP out, Pienaar and Hougaard have been hit and miss. So, my concern is more the performances of these starters rather than the quality of depth as such.

That said 2014 has been our best year pre any RWC (1994, 2002, 2006, 2010 remain amongst our worst years) so I remain optimistic.

Last edited:
There is depth there. The problem is everyone comes with some drawback bar Serfontein. Serfontein has only suffered from being too similar a player to JdV. The options with their 'issues;
Frans Steyn - has a bad relationship with both HM and SARU but I feel he is our best option
Jaque Fourie - just retired so isn't an option anymore? Maybe worth it to ask him to reconsider ala Matfield
Juan de Jongh - many felt he was hard done by to not get a call up. Meyer feels he is to small.. I don't know, I feel that step and hand off of his might be worth it
Wynand Olivier/Rob Ebersohn - both probably out of consideration
Damian de Allende - my pick for the long term to partner Serfontein but I worry this is too soon for him. Wouldn't mind us taking a chance on him though.
Paul Jordaan/S'bura Sithole - both young Sharks 13's are exciting players but will fall into the JdJ category of too small for test rugby for HM

My preference would be 12 Steyn, 13 Serfontein with De Allende back up to both.

Well, the depth was enough to account for England at home. My main concern is more a lack of form rather than depth; if anything it's the 'back up' players that have been performing; Reinach, Coetzee, Oosthuizen, Lambie (apart from the Wales game) have been the better performers compared to the encumbents. Vermeulen seems a spent force.. rather not able to produce those Herculian performances post the win in Jo'Burg. That said he has been playing non-stop for province and country for 3 straight years now. Etzebeth is improving by millimeters every game but still not close to 2012 form after a year out of rugby, JdP and Mtawarira are spent forces, JdV's loss of pace and step is starting to show, Matfield has done well for an old man covering a gap but he is an old man covering a gap, Le Roux has been on a scary downward spiral and has gone from somewhat error-prone but worth it to a liability, Bismarck's line-out throwing has been atrocious so much so that Strauss has now claimed no.1. With FdP out, Pienaar and Hougaard have been hit and miss. So, my concern is more the performances of these starters rather than the quality of depth as such.

That said 2014 has been our best year pre any RWC (1994, 2002, 2006, 2010 remain amongst our worst years) so I remain optimistic.

Frans Steyn only had a problem with SARU, not HM. But his agent already confirmed that he is returning to SA for the Super Rugby Season and will be available for selection for the Springboks. He has also shed 10 kg's while playing in Japan.

This was a bad tour yes, but it's by no means a cause for panic. With the amount of injuries this year, I think we did rather well. Here's a list of the unavailable players who will be back in 2015:

Pieter-Steph Du Toit (Lock)
Flip van der Merwe (lock)
Willem Alberts (back row)
Francois Louw (back row)
Arno Botha (back row)
Pierre Spies (back row)
Fourie Du Preez (scrumhalf)
Ruan Pienaar (scrumhalf)
Frans Steyn (centre/fullback)

Not only are they classy players, they have experience (bar PSDT), and that was something that was lacking in this EOYT. We made bad decisions at crucial times and lost our heads. But I don't see that as a negative. The guys learn from their mistakes, and I know all of them will come back in trying to make amends.

These losses should be used to our advantage, and it came at the right time, we have enough time to iron the things out before the World Cup.

^ Good news on Frans Steyn and even I look forward to seeing him 10kg's lighter. If it's not 10kg's of pure muscle (Frans was certainly carrying a bit more fat than necessary) then it's not helpful.

On top of that list you can add

Frans Malherbe
Marcel van der Merwe
Jannie du Plessis

All three tight head props and in the order I rate them.

And remember against Wales we were short all of Bryan Habana, Schalk Burger, JPP and though he retired he would have added value against Wales Bakkies Botha.

That should be enough of a squad to make a good fist at getting the ***le back. I think it is too late now for some of the fringe/young guys to make it into the squad unless they have ENORMOUS SR campaigns. I am talking of Jaco Kriel, Warren Whiteley and Nizaam Carr- I don't think they'll be in with Alberts and Louw fit, Thomas du Toit, Seabelo Senatla and Scarra Ntubeni- just that little bit too young and inexperienced yet despite having obvious class. Reinach might have done just enough to warrant a spot. Carr maybe, I can see HM valuing his.. er, value off the bench.

^ Good news on Frans Steyn and even I look forward to seeing him 10kg's lighter. If it's not 10kg's of pure muscle (Frans was certainly carrying a bit more fat than necessary) then it's not helpful.

On top of that list you can add

Frans Malherbe
Marcel van der Merwe
Jannie du Plessis

All three tight head props and in the order I rate them.

And remember against Wales we were short all of Bryan Habana, Schalk Burger, JPP and though he retired he would have added value against Wales Bakkies Botha.

That should be enough of a squad to make a good fist at getting the ***le back. I think it is too late now for some of the fringe/young guys to make it into the squad unless they have ENORMOUS SR campaigns. I am talking of Jaco Kriel, Warren Whiteley and Nizaam Carr- I don't think they'll be in with Alberts and Louw fit, Thomas du Toit, Seabelo Senatla and Scarra Ntubeni- just that little bit too young and inexperienced yet despite having obvious class. Reinach might have done just enough to warrant a spot. Carr maybe, I can see HM valuing his.. er, value off the bench.

For me the tighthead list should be:

Julian Redelinghuys
Frans Malherbe
Jannie Du Plessis
Marcel v/d Merwe

And to add to that, HM continued to blood new players, and I think he got it right with each one this year. every single debutant this year used his time on the field wisely and made a contribution. There was no hit-and-miss like we had the previous seasons. This is an example of progression.

Massive positive for South Africa in Fourie Du Preez returning. Classy player who gets the best out of the SA backs, worrying stuff for everyone else.

Frans Steyn only had a problem with SARU, not HM. But his agent already confirmed that he is returning to SA for the Super Rugby Season and will be available for selection for the Springboks. He has also shed 10 kg's while playing in Japan.

This was a bad tour yes, but it's by no means a cause for panic. With the amount of injuries this year, I think we did rather well. Here's a list of the unavailable players who will be back in 2015:

Pieter-Steph Du Toit (Lock)
Flip van der Merwe (lock)
Willem Alberts (back row)
Francois Louw (back row)
Arno Botha (back row)
Pierre Spies (back row)
Fourie Du Preez (scrumhalf)
Ruan Pienaar (scrumhalf)
Frans Steyn (centre/fullback)

Not only are they classy players, they have experience (bar PSDT), and that was something that was lacking in this EOYT. We made bad decisions at crucial times and lost our heads. But I don't see that as a negative. The guys learn from their mistakes, and I know all of them will come back in trying to make amends.

These losses should be used to our advantage, and it came at the right time, we have enough time to iron the things out before the World Cup.

Wow that puts NH performances into real perspective!!! Not sure F Steyn adds that much but the rest all do....

Wow that puts NH performances into real perspective!!! Not sure F Steyn adds that much but the rest all do....

LOL, I'm not sure if you're being serious or not?

I'd like F Steyn to come in to be honest. If anything he is at least a castle on defense compared to JdV and that 2/3 of the field penalty range is useful. Of that list i'd hate to see Spies and Pienaar get back in.. though I suppose at least Pienaar doesn't those errors Hougaard seems partial too..

I can't believe I'm saying this but on the weekend I found myself.. hoping.. missing.. erm..... Kirchner.

Massive positive for South Africa in Fourie Du Preez returning. Classy player who gets the best out of the SA backs, worrying stuff for everyone else.
Yes, well, FdP has lost a few arrows from his quiver but at this stage we really do need someone who can make good decisions in the halfbacks so I'll take an aging FdP at this stage even without those darting runs and maybe even not at his most 'crisp'.

Last edited:

Latest posts