• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Wales vs South Africa

Players age obviously.

Some just accept aging, some work on it. Compare Shane Williams or Brian O'Driscoll, who both changed their game to accommodate their age and the limitations that brings, to Phillips. He's a lazy sod at the best of times.

Rob Evans called up. Talks that Rhodri will shift across to cover loosehead in case Gethin and Nicky do not make it.

Mods, can you please edit the topic! Conrad Smith has made a spelling error!

Warren Whiteley is out for this test match with a hamstring injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mods, can you please edit the topic! Conrad Smith has made a spelling error!

Warren Whiteley is out for this test match with a hamstring injury.

Fixed and I'll ban CS.

On Whiteley I wonder whether he'd have been in line for a start in any case.

Oh and just kidding on banning CS of course.

Fixed and I'll ban CS.

On Whiteley I wonder whether he'd have been in line for a start in any case.

Oh and just kidding on banning CS of course.

no need to ban someone for a typo...

He did good starting the thread.

I think Warren would have gotten a run. even if it was just for 10 minutes off the bench. But this now opens it up for Carr or Kriel to get a chance...

no need to ban someone for a typo...

He did good starting the thread.

I think Warren would have gotten a run. even if it was just for 10 minutes off the bench. But this now opens it up for Carr or Kriel to get a chance...

Yes. Yes of course I went too far in seriously considering banning Conrad Smith. TBH Whiteley and Carr are similar players and of the two.. I think I perfer Carr but that might just be provincial bias. I'd be very very happy for Kriel to get a shot particularly from the bench. Imagine the impact that guy can make from the bench with those legs he's got...

Yes. Yes of course I went too far in seriously considering banning Conrad Smith. TBH Whiteley and Carr are similar players and of the two.. I think I perfer Carr but that might just be provincial bias. I'd be very very happy for Kriel to get a shot particularly from the bench. Imagine the impact that guy can make from the bench with those legs he's got...

Carr and Willie Le Roux are the 2 guys who runs into gaps, while the rest runs into the opposition. Carr is slowly growing on me, and that little bit of brilliance last week was yet another notch to make me a fan of him, I prefer him ahead of Warren actually. He's bigger and defends better.

I want him to play so that he can show the other guys how to run into the gaps and make us score more tries.

He hasn't Whiteley's pace but the extra bit of meat and the beard will probably be more valuable at test level in any case; he also was the better of the two in the CC final for my money. I wouldn't mind him getting in to give Vermeulen a week off earlier; the man has been in action non-stop since last year if I'm not mistaken. Even Thor needs some R & R.

Nicky Smith released back to the Ospreys because of injury. Early indications are that Gethin will be fit. Squad announced Thursday at 11am.

Springbok Team has been announced:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Jan Serfontein, 12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Teboho "Oupa" Mohoje, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Handré Pollard, 23 Damian de Allende

Springbok Team has been announced:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Jan Serfontein, 12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Teboho “Oupa†Mohoje, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Handré Pollard, 23 Damian de Allende

So basically only the wings change. Pity about Senatla being let go for the Blitzbokke but Mvovo is a quality option though I havn't seen him in action for a while which always makes me nervous. I like our bench though; a couple of real 'impact' players.

So basically only the wings change. Pity about Senatla being let go for the Blitzbokke but Mvovo is a quality option though I havn't seen him in action for a while which always makes me nervous. I like our bench though; a couple of real 'impact' players.

I think the Ireland test was a setback in terms of giving more fringe players a chance on this tour. So far we have a 2-1 ratio, and if we lose this game it will be 2-2, which is not IMHO a successful tour.

I like the team though, and that bench could make some serious impact when they come one.

Lambie and Reinach should be the permanent combination and 10 and 9. Lambie has BMT. Pollard (who still has a lot to learn) and Hougaard can be their understudies.

Boks should win this, but Wales will be up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
South Africa.

By 4.

What else ?
Clooney.jpg

Someone should come up with a meme for Wales losing by less than 3 to South Africa and Australia as a ritual...

Wales to be ahead at around 68 minutes. SA to sneak past with a late flurry. Maybe even a try in stoppage time, by Willie Le Roux in the corner...

SA to win.

my dear Welsh friends (for I do appreciate Wales...) I'm sorry, but this so had to be done:

Wales SANZAR.jpg