• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Test] South Africa vs Wales (1st Test)

I seem to recall a certain winger by the name of Jonah Lomu, who was a tad taller, 2 stone heavier and faster than George North and the Boks contained him rather well in a WC final.

Not just in a final... He never scored a try against us...

But that discussion is for another thread...

I wonder when the teams will be announced?? Hopefully today...

I guess we'll just have to see how anodyne North's presence on the pitch is....:rolleyes:

Springboks Р15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morn̩ Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gurthro Steenkamp.
Subs: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Beast Mtawarira, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Johan Goosen, 23 Lwazi Mvovo

His name is always brought up when Wales play SA, and for the life of me, I don't understand why. First of all, Wales loses their games against us because their forwards are not the same calibre as ours. They are continuously put on the back foot by our defensive structures and our physicality is something they struggle to match/contain.

Excuse me if I don't shake in my boots by hearing the name George North. I would rather tremble if I were to hear names like Bismarck Du Plessis, Willem Alberts and Duane Vermeulen...

I remember the 1st game he played against us he was a menace. If I recall correctly we won but North got in for 2 tries. Might be the reason his name always comes up along with the fact that we are generally known for the size of our players but North is somewhat bigger than our own wings. Just some speculation..

I seem to recall a certain winger by the name of Jonah Lomu, who was a tad taller, 2 stone heavier and faster than George North and the Boks contained him rather well in a WC final.

Not just in a final... He never scored a try against us...

But that discussion is for another thread...

I wonder when the teams will be announced?? Hopefully today...

Yes, Lomu never scored against us but that is because of the brilliant defensive efforts of Small, Williams and Van der Westhuizen who was a machine and big for a 9 and specifically assigned to bring the big man low. I can't see FdP tracking and bringing down the Norths and Saveas of today. TBF he shouldn't have to.

On the team I am glad FdP and Serfontein are starting and hope Serfontein goes well; it is a good time for him to step up. Not too sure going with the tired props is the right call though and despite being family I don't know if De Jager on the bench should be there ahead of Lewies and I am assming Flip van der Merwe has joined the SA injured legions? I guess no huge surprises (considering injuries) is a good thing though and consistency counts for a lot (evn if it includes JdP and Pienaar at this stage).

Last edited:
Where's Engelbrecht? Injured? Otherwise funny that Pietersen, winger is chosen at 13 again.

Where's Engelbrecht? Injured? Otherwise funny that Pietersen, winger is chosen at 13 again.
He had a bad season of Super Rugby, besides I was never convinced he was international standard. Lots of injuries at centre at the moment (de Villiers, de Jongh, de Allende, FSteyn) so I guess it's just a temporary thing.

De Allende if not injured would have been chosen ahead of Engelbrecht who really has had a poor year and is a converted wing himself though; which shows.

JJ should be a wing and JP a center, both will be much more effective

What happened to F Steyn?
Bit of a mystery really, pulled himself out of contention. He has been nursing a knee ****le all season but it may be something emotional, who knows.
Personally I think he needs a break (and it's party because of his knee) and neither Jake White (because of the injuries at fly-half for the Sharks) or Heineke Meyer feels they can do without him, so he's taking matters into his own hands.

Last edited:

JJ is in the squad, but doesn't really warrant to be there, and this coming from a Bulls fan. He has had a rather poor season for the Bulls, and while some might say that Jan also had a poor season, I would disagree. Jan has been very solid and has done what he was suppose to do. With JJ playing so poorly, Jan had to make even more groundwork, at the centres.

I personally think moving JP to centre will be an even better move than JJ's change from wing to centre. JP has the same attributes as what Tana Umaga had when he made the shift and look at how well that worked out.

With that said, JJ is for me just as good at centre than he is at wing, and he has to just keep on improving and establish himself.

As for the team, can't see much fault in the team, given the injuries and disruptions. Pretty much the same to be expected as last week, with a little bit more sharpness.

Glad to see Gurthro getting a start ahead of Beast. Hopefully our scrums will be better.

Congrats to Lood De Jager who will be making his debut if he comes on. How long has it been since the last time we had a lock from the Cheetahs representing SA (Juan Smith doesn't count).

Springboks â€" 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gurthro Steenkamp.
Subs: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Beast Mtawarira, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Johan Goosen, 23 Lwazi Mvovo

Thanks, bud

Hope the SA fans realise that it's not us Welsh fans bring up George all the time :p like welshglory said, he hasn't been great under high ball this season so that's a bit of a worry, plus everyone else in the team needs to do their jobs well to make sure he can have just enough space to actually do his thing. This didn't really happen in the 6 Nations so gotta hope something has changed! One I'm looking forward to seeing is Jon Davies back vs SA, he was outstanding while he was on the pitch last time we played, probably made as many clean line breaks in the space of 15 - 20 mins as the entire team did after... <_<

Also a side note, North's 2 try debut vs SA definitely has something to do with his name always being prominent in this fixture. Even though we lost that game I still take a little bit of pleasure out of an SA poster on here saying pre-game "Habana will smoke that big mongrel all game" :p don't think he said anything about it after the match...

For the first time in a couple of months now, I'm again excited at the upcoming rugby for the weekend. I can't wait for the game to start on Saturday.

I am busy building a braai at my home, and I hope it will be finished before Saturday so that I can have a proper relaxing rugby Saturday now that I finished exams yesterday.

I think Wales might be able to sneak 1 win but Gatland is being stupid claiming a whitewash. It's showing very little respect to the opposition and it would be a nice change if Gatland could go into a game without attempting cheap shots.

I think Wales might be able to sneak 1 win but Gatland is being stupid claiming a whitewash. It's showing very little respect to the opposition and it would be a nice change if Gatland could go into a game without attempting cheap shots.

As if we care what that idiot says?

he has always been like that, and has always talked up a big game and how he will beat the Bokke. In SA we are a different beast than in the NH. Wales haven't won here since 2000, I think...

Think even most Wales fans dont listen to Gatland when he spouts stuff like this, speaking of which could you link us the article where he has said this?

I understand what Gatland is attempting to do with the twice yearly talk-up when facing SH opposition and I agree it is necessary to grow belief but there are better ways to go about planting belief in the minds of the players IMO and none have to do with the media.

:eek: Jannie again starting. When will HM learn?

Hey, man. Good to read you again! At least Pienaar has been benched. I am hoping in the 2nd test JdP will be as well and then against Scotland maybe we'll see Pienaar dropped out of the 23; baby steps.

Last edited:
^^

These things will quickly spiral if you turn it into a thing about the Northern hemipshere / Southern hemipshere.

regardless, Gatlands simply a cheap fool. I expect no change for this Wales tour.

Latest posts