• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Argentina vs South Africa (15/08/2015)

He has? I mean, I don't pay full attention to the Ladyboys, coulda passed me by, but that is slightly news to me I'm afraid. Where's a Leinster fan when you actually want one...

He wasn't great last season. He was pretty good the season before especially in the Pro12 final but he's not someone who's guaranteed to make the 23.

He wasn't great last season. He was pretty good the season before especially in the Pro12 final but he's not someone who's guaranteed to make the 23.

Well that is troubling to hear... Might have to change my score prediction.

Hernández "It's already past"

"Saturday was very pretty, but victories don't last long, it's time to look forward."

"We're in the third week of preparation and, even if we still have some things to fix, we're on the good path"

"This match we have to take it as it is, a warm up match for the WC, which is our greater goal"

"Last match didn't prove anything, we have to keep humble"

http://www.rugbyfun.com.ar/2015/08/ya-quedo-en-el-pasado/

SA does have a problem at 15 which we sort of gloss over with Le Roux being passable.

Beyond him we have Kirchner and Lambie out of position. Not horrible but neither will start at 15 for other tier 1 nations.

Jaco Taute has been serially injured, played at 12 and hasn't been able to recapture form post-injury. Jesse Kriel is already wearing green off the back of his maiden year of SR at 15 but TBH I like what Meyer has gotten out of him at 13 more. 13 was another bit of an issue. SP Marais and Jurgen Visser. No. Cheslin Kolbe... I love the guy but test rugby allows little space and he doesn't offer a whole lot more than his stepping which we have seen can be nulified in tighter games and then he gets monstered because he weighs only 28kgs. Ludik, Aplon all overseas and off the radar... probably not any better than Lambie either. Riaan Viljoen and Joe Pietersen lost their chances going overseas too early. Again, probably not better than Lambie. Coetzee at the Lions was also not setting the world ablaze but with Combrinck now covering at 15 I am hoping for him to step up in the position this year and hopefully then continue at 15 for the Lions in SR.. so in other words, a long term option possibly, hpefully. Frans Steyn is unfit both physically and mentally. JPP is injured. I'm scraping the barrel here now. Johan Goosen? Marnitz Boshoff?

So, yeah.. Le Roux, Lambie and Kirchner at 15. Whoopy.

Although then DDA and kriel partnership looks good, but I would have 11. Habana 12. Serforntain 13. De Allande 14. Le roux 15 Kriel.. i think it keeps good balance and shores up the full back area.

Last edited:
SA does have a problem at 15 which we sort of gloss over with Le Roux being passable.

Beyond him we have Kirchner and Lambie out of position. Not horrible but neither will start at 15 for other tier 1 nations.

Jaco Taute has been serially injured, played at 12 and hasn't been able to recapture form post-injury. Jesse Kriel is already wearing green off the back of his maiden year of SR at 15 but TBH I like what Meyer has gotten out of him at 13 more. 13 was another bit of an issue. SP Marais and Jurgen Visser. No. Cheslin Kolbe... I love the guy but test rugby allows little space and he doesn't offer a whole lot more than his stepping which we have seen can be nulified in tighter games and then he gets monstered because he weighs only 28kgs. Ludik, Aplon all overseas and off the radar... probably not any better than Lambie either. Riaan Viljoen and Joe Pietersen lost their chances going overseas too early. Again, probably not better than Lambie. Coetzee at the Lions was also not setting the world ablaze but with Combrinck now covering at 15 I am hoping for him to step up in the position this year and hopefully then continue at 15 for the Lions in SR.. so in other words, a long term option possibly, hpefully. Frans Steyn is unfit both physically and mentally. JPP is injured. I'm scraping the barrel here now. Johan Goosen? Marnitz Boshoff?

So, yeah.. Le Roux, Lambie and Kirchner at 15. Whoopy.

If JDV is back in contention, then Kriel can play fullback. But yeah, atm it's Willie, Lambie then Kirchner. But if we look towards the future, I can see guys like Warwick Gelant (Bulls) and Ruan Combrinck (Lions) also knock on that door.

Although then DDA and kriel partnership looks good, but I would have 11. Habana 12. Serforntain 13. De Allande 14. Le roux 15 Kriel.. i think it keeps good balance and shores up the full back area.

I don't know, DDA is better at 12 than at 13. And you need another "less-pale" face there on the wings, you know, just to keep the politicians away.

If JDV is back in contention, then Kriel can play fullback. But yeah, atm it's Willie, Lambie then Kirchner. But if we look towards the future, I can see guys like Warwick Gelant (Bulls) and Ruan Combrinck (Lions) also knock on that door.

Argh. I think Jean is off the pace and I'd be surprised if he managed to come back to better form than one of De Allende or Kriel is in now. If he gets in it'd only be for those arguments of leadership, experience and defense. I don't buy any one of those reasons wholeheartedly but what do I know.

My hopes are now on Combrinck whereas I was hoping Taute would get extended time for the Stormers and WP at 15 but that isn't happening and I totally forgot about Gelant. I havn't followed this year's JRWC as closely as previous ones and missed the Bulls' outing. How would you say he is shapng up? I'm just glad Ludeke isn't there anymore to choke the initiative out of young players. Combrinck looks like he can do well and I hope the Lions give him a good chance. Meyer just doesn't seem overly found of selecting Lions players; Kriel, Redelinghuys, both Armand and Schalk van der Merwe, Mostert, Mapoe, De Klerk, Combrinck and Jantjies all could arguably feel a tad hard done by but I suppose its down to Meyer wanting to keep with players who have been in or around the national setup previously as far as possible. Fair enough I suppose. Maybe next year the Lions' players will have a better chance.
I don't know, DDA is better at 12 than at 13. And you need another "less-pale" face there on the wings, you know, just to keep the politicians away.
Yip. Just look at the furore after Kriel played on the wing. Serfontein has done aright at 13 last year. But, yeah, I see him and Kriel doing a lot of swapping at 13 especially with Kriel as fullback cover we can afford to have Serf on the bench.

Argh. I think Jean is off the pace and I'd be surprised if he managed to come back to better form than one of De Allende or Kriel is in now. If he gets in it'd only be for those arguments of leadership, experience and defense. I don't buy any one of those reasons wholeheartedly but what do I know.

My hopes are now on Combrinck whereas I was hoping Taute would get extended time for the Stormers and WP at 15 but that isn't happening and I totally forgot about Gelant. I havn't followed this year's JRWC as closely as previous ones and missed the Bulls' outing. How would you say he is shapng up? I'm just glad Ludeke isn't there anymore to choke the initiative out of young players. Combrinck looks like he can do well and I hope the Lions give him a good chance. Meyer just doesn't seem overly found of selecting Lions players; Kriel, Redelinghuys, both Armand and Schalk van der Merwe, Mostert, Mapoe, De Klerk, Combrinck and Jantjies all could arguably feel a tad hard done by but I suppose its down to Meyer wanting to keep with players who have been in or around the national setup previously as far as possible. Fair enough I suppose. Maybe next year the Lions' players will have a better chance.

Yip. Just look at the furore after Kriel played on the wing. Serfontein has done aright at 13 last year. But, yeah, I see him and Kriel doing a lot of swapping at 13 especially with Kriel as fullback cover we can afford to have Serf on the bench.

Did you catch last week's match between the Blue Bulls and the Cheetahs? What I love about Gelant is that he does something the newer type of fullbacks doesn't do as much anymore, and I don't know why, because it's such a potent weapon. He likes to join the backline and squeeze in between the flyhalf and the inside centre. He knows how to take a gap, and he's damn fast. He's also a good kicker and can kick off both feet.

To be fair to those Lions players, I don't see it as biasness towards a union, but more that there are better players in their positions who are already Boks. Julian Redelinghuys is perhaps the exception, but he go his chance last year, and didn't take it. You and I both agree on Kriel, but his position is one area where we have top players in abundance.

Mostert, Schalk and Akker... They low on the pecking order. Mostert has to contend with Lood, Victor, Eben, PSDT and Flip. That is one badass group!! Akker is 4th best hooker in my view, I rate him higher than Scarra Ntubeni (who coincidentally has been withdrawn from the Bok squad). Schalk vd Merwe, he has to contend with Beast and Trevor Nyakane, guess who'll win that battle??

Did you catch last week's match between the Blue Bulls and the Cheetahs? What I love about Gelant is that he does something the newer type of fullbacks doesn't do as much anymore, and I don't know why, because it's such a potent weapon. He likes to join the backline and squeeze in between the flyhalf and the inside centre. He knows how to take a gap, and he's damn fast. He's also a good kicker and can kick off both feet.

To be fair to those Lions players, I don't see it as biasness towards a union, but more that there are better players in their positions who are already Boks. Julian Redelinghuys is perhaps the exception, but he go his chance last year, and didn't take it. You and I both agree on Kriel, but his position is one area where we have top players in abundance.

Mostert, Schalk and Akker... They low on the pecking order. Mostert has to contend with Lood, Victor, Eben, PSDT and Flip. That is one badass group!! Akker is 4th best hooker in my view, I rate him higher than Scarra Ntubeni (who coincidentally has been withdrawn from the Bok squad). Schalk vd Merwe, he has to contend with Beast and Trevor Nyakane, guess who'll win that battle??

No, I didn't catch the Bulls match. Is he the same player who played at 12 (at times 10 and 15) for that surprise Outeniqua schools side along with Duhan van der Merwe on the wing and Grant Hermanus at 10? I'll try nd keep an eye out.

I get where you are coming from regarding the Lions players. I rate Akken ahead of Scarra as well. I rate Burden ahead of both and Brits though. Pity we never gave him the time of day.

Why on earth are both teams wearing white(ish).

With the sun as it is, sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

Why the Saffers are wearing the away jersey???! It's similar to the Pumas jersey. I'm confused

How old is Lezama?

Years ago we looked like a team of old men, today we do as highschool students.

ALSO: Pat Lamby looks like the lost grandson of JFK.

Last edited:
Man, those are two really similar kits.
Who decided that was a good idea :huh:

This is argentina second team, maybe even sort of third. So many lads. I think last week's one is the first

On the other hand, watching they trying to play from 22 against the boks is kinda nice.

They tried so far and got so far.

Is this Pumas top team?

Missing some top class players like Ayerza, Matera, Cubelli, Hernandez and Bosch

The Pumas starting XV at Durban:

1 Ayerza
2 Creevy (c)
3 Tetaz Chaparro
4 Petti
5 Lavanini
6 Matera
7 Leguizamon
8 Senatore
9 Cubelli
10 Juan Martin Hernandez
11 Imhoff