• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Ireland (08/08/2015)

Why do these crappy warm up games count towards the world rankings?

I guess they are replacing the spring tours?
TBH I'd remove the game from world rankings just because Gatland and Schmitt "colluded" before announcing teams and setting out intent to each other. Which makes it a friendly in my book and not a test-match. Sure warm up games (especially the earlier ones) are about finding who's going to be your replacements more than the starting line up but it strikes me as odd either way.

I would never say take things from Football but it might be time to officially call things a friendly outside of competition, AI and Spring Tours and not count them towards stats, rankings or caps.

TBH I'd remove the game from world rankings just because Gatland and Schmitt "colluded" before announcing teams and setting out intent to each other. Which makes it a friendly in my book and not a test-match. Sure warm up games (especially the earlier ones) are about finding who's going to be your replacements more than the starting line up but it strikes me as odd either way.

I would never say take things from Football but it might be time to officially call things a friendly outside of competition, AI and Spring Tours and not count them towards stats, rankings or caps.

I think the fact they talked before the match is being made a big deal of for nothing. Had they not talked nothing would've changed. Schmidt wouldn't have put an A team. It doesn't really change anything.

I think the fact they talked before the match is being made a big deal of for nothing. Had they not talked nothing would've changed. Schmidt wouldn't have put an A team. It doesn't really change anything.

Think it's being talked up by the Welsh, who are making out they are doing Ireland a solid by selecting an appropriate team and keeping the roof closed etc....

Just more Welsh mind games....

Every capped game counts - if they don't want it ranked then it doesn't have to be.

I thought that's what you said on the other page - that they will?

They may not have designated them as capped games - just that if they have, then they will count towards rankings.

Talking between the coaches isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure Clive Woodward said he and the French coach talked about the teams they would play in 2003.

So if Ireland A beat Wales A we're second in the world? A little dodgy! Rankings don't matter a ****e in a World Cup year anyway!

All the more reason as to why some take the rankings way to seriously. And from what I've heard, WR are looking to try and find an alternative rating system in the future.

Hard to get myself up for this one. Footy starts today, NFL preseason tomorrow and going to the hurling. Hope no one gets hurt on the Irish side, but that's about it.

I would be very worried if I were Wales and England. Australia were superb today.

Meh, my feelings towards it haven't changed. I expect an England win.
Kiwi's ancient pack barely put up a fight, and they have poor props. They won't get such a walk in the park vs NH packs.

Yeah, they beat an under performing All Blacks because their back-row bossed all day long. They won't get that against the Welsh back-row or English pack. Australia will be very beatable when a good pack puts it up to them, still see them getting out of the group but they will lose a game.

Meh, my feelings towards it haven't changed. I expect an England win.
Kiwi's ancient pack barely put up a fight, and they have poor props. They won't get such a walk in the park vs NH packs.

Did you not see this match? The pack was immense. Scrums were brilliant by the wobs!

Did you not see this match? The pack was immense. Scrums were brilliant by the wobs!

I've been saying for a while they will likely top the pool, bit I think people are strumming their one string a bit too much over today.... Let's see how that back up against NZ in NZ before we anoint them the champions elect, eh?

Also NZ scrum has been an issue for a couple of years, wouldn't read too much into that...

As a soccer pundit put it before. It's like watching an XXX video of your ex and your nemesis. You'll keep an eye on it but not really bothered by the outcome. Going to catch Connacht and Grenoble but will be eager to see Mayo vs Donegal in GAA and will record this and flick through highlights. Unlikely either coach will unveil too much

Yea but got a copy of it. Want to see there youngsters. We are playing both teams in next few weeks. Grenoble in UL all week

As a soccer pundit put it before. It's like watching an XXX video of your ex and your nemesis. You'll keep an eye on it but not really bothered by the outcome. Going to catch Connacht and Grenoble but will be eager to see Mayo vs Donegal in GAA and will record this and flick through highlights. Unlikely either coach will unveil too much

I'd probably cry myself to sleep if someone made me watch that.

James Hook and Mike Phillips will be a threat today I think.

Latest posts