• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Ireland (08/08/2015)

The interesting Irish selections there are the centres, TOD and Bent.

Bent as tighthead sub points very clearly at an intention for only five props if it can be helped.

Most people seemed to be reckoning TOD wouldn't have much of a sniff with Henry a lock-in but maybe that's not so, first chance to show what he's got.

Cave and Earls is the really interesting one. Cave needs to prove he can cover both centre positions or he doesn't go; while I think if Earls covers himself in glory in the centres and proves his versatility is alive and well, that's a long way towards booking him on the plane. Wondering what else Schmidt might try in the centres.

I'm most interested in seeing how the Ulster boys go. Can Jackson prove he deserves the 22 jumper? Does Henderson have what it takes to start along POC/dislodge Toner? Is Trimble the same player he was 18 months ago? For me those are the most important questions out of the XV. Earls is another interesting one, he showed some good stuff for Munster at 13 when he was fit again but I've always doubted his ability to be a top level 13 given his distribution (or lack thereof) .The other players seem certain enough.

I doubt this will be a runaway victory for us, while maybe if this was our first team against the Welsh team that has been selected they would do well, I doubt that these players whom have had very little time together will be able to gel in their first game ever or in a long time. I can see this Irish team failing to gel right and losing, not by a lot, but nonetheless losing. From my point of view it would be no disaster. The warm ups are for the less established to prove their worth and place in the squad.

Yeah, No, Probably But Good Question.

Case solved :p

Don't get caught up in the result, it's about game time now, and letting the young players feel the speed of the game at this level, and the older players get a chance to warm up to the level they will have to produce in a number of weeks
See who is up for the challenge, who wants it and who can 'shine'.

Don't get caught up in the result, it's about game time now, and letting the young players feel the speed of the game at this level, and the older players get a chance to warm up to the level they will have to produce in a number of weeks
See who is up for the challenge, who wants it and who can 'shine'.

While I agree, I think a win is important for the mentality of the players.

Genuinely don't care about the result, we lost all four games before the last World Cup only to win four pool games. A winning mentality is important but that has been built by beating every team we have played since 2014, winning or losing to experimental teams while trying to keep our cards close to our chest won't change that.

Genuinely don't care about the result, we lost all four games before the last World Cup only to win four pool games. A winning mentality is important but that has been built by beating every team we have played since 2014, winning or losing to experimental teams while trying to keep our cards close to our chest won't change that.

i agree, result doesnt matter. just hope it isnt one sided for either team, as it wont help at all. the big tester will be the return game on the 29th. Both teams all guns blazing (although i'll be crossing my fingers either team dont get injuries)

I want Wales to put them under pressure as that is a far better experience for Ireland than merely strolling to a win.

Example - Tips needs to constantly hit Jackson so we know how he handles the pressure

It doesn't matter too much. But having a losing mentality isn't going to be good. Hopefully whichever team loses will just learn from what went wrong. It may do the confidence a knock though.

Apparently it's going to be on Sky as well.
They are determined to prove that rugby exists outside of Englan......
Sorry, I tried to keep a straight face.
Their coverage of Englands tour of the Northern Hemisphere each year during the six nations, is something to behold. (which is kinda weird, when you consider quality programmes like 'The School of Hard Knocks', which is a fantastic series.)

Do sky even cover the 6N at all?
It's BBC's thing (as well as the home nation internationals, minus England's).

Last edited:
Sorry, was being sarcastic. Sky seem to think England tour in January and February.

You can tune in BBC Wales tomorrow. I've it all ready to go.
Even though tomorrow technically doesn't mean much, I'm quite excited for it. It will be interesting to see whose pre-season has worked the best, with Wales taking an intense fitness approach and Ireland doing a bit of fitness and rugby.

Sky are showing a replay of it at 9:30... not live.

Trying my hardest to think of some kind of witty reply to that, but it's been a long week, and I've had a few beers. I shall therefore say...

<insert really witty comment here>
<accept argument against it>
<Insert even wittier comment>
<accept even better argument>
<USE CAPS TO WIN WITTY COMMENT CONTEST>
<apologise for going overboard 8-12hrs later>

You can tune in BBC Wales tomorrow. I've it all ready to go.
Even though tomorrow technically doesn't mean much, I'm quite excited for it. It will be interesting to see whose pre-season has worked the best, with Wales taking an intense fitness approach and Ireland doing a bit of fitness and rugby.

I do like the fact that Gatland and Schmidt(sp?) have been in contact, and agreed on which kind of teams to put out.

If Ireland win this tomorrow we'll be up to 2nd in the world rankings, regardless of how SA fare in the Rugby Championship.

If Wales win and two other favourites, Wales go third.

If Australia beat NZ by more than 15 points they go second.

Last edited:
Why do these crappy warm up games count towards the world rankings?

I guess they are replacing the spring tours?

Latest posts