• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] France vs Wales (Round 3)

oh yes yes :bravo:

will you throw in the bit about the flair not that we understand but it always goes down well :)

Very worried about our set piece in this match. France have a solid scrum, which loses no power when their replacement come on. We could be shipping penalties all game there. The lineout is a massive worry as always. If we can't get our set piece functioning, we'll really struggle, as we did against England, and as we did in the last 30min against Scotland.

Still, France haven't done much with their possession this 6n, so it could still be a close match, even if our set piece malfunctions.

I'd bring in:
Paul James at loosehead, makes more sense to start him anyway, as he offers bugger all impact off the bench, whereas Jankins would.
Samson Lee at tighthead, obvious reasons.
Luke Charteris for Jake Ball, to steady the lineout.
Tipuric at 7, shifting Warbs across.
Retain Liam Williams on the wing, bringing North back into the side, Cuthbert out of the 23.

Last edited:
Very worried about our set piece in this match. France have a solid scrum, which loses no power when their replacement come on. We could be shipping penalties all game there. The lineout is a massive worry as always. If we can't get our set piece functioning, we'll really struggle, as we did against England, and as we did in the last 30min against Scotland.

Still, France haven't done much with their possession this 6n, so it could still be a close match, even if our set piece malfunctions.

I'd bring in:
Paul James at loosehead, makes more sense to start him anyway, as he offers bugger all impact off the bench, whereas Jankins would.
Samson Lee at tighthead, obvious reasons.
Tipuric at 7, shifting Warbs across.
Retain Liam Williams on the wing, bringing North back into the side, Cuthbert out of the 23.

It's actually quite hilarious how long you've been advocating this :p.
Maybe one day Gatland will see sense.

@dullonien for the Wales job after the RWC! Or even better get him in as soon as possible! Gatland out!

Just in time for the French game; Vive La Revolution!

Last edited by a moderator:

Unlikely.

It's not that I don't like Lydiate, he's just less effective nowadays. The game has moved on, and we're not adapting.

I've maintained for a while that Tipuric is one of the most talented rugby players in the world, along with Michael Hooper. Both can seamlessly transition between the graft of being a forward, tackling, rucking, turning over ball; yet pop up in the backs and play like a three quarter. Warburton learn't the chop tackle technique a while ago, and is just as effective as Lydiate imo, but offers much more otherwise, so to me it makes sense to have Tipuric starting to offer us something a little different, and have two great fetchers on the pitch.

They will see the light eventually though, as they did with Phillips and Priestland.

Edit. Forgot to add initially that I'd also like to see Charteris in for Ball. Ball's a decent no-nonsense lock, but we struggle at the lineout with neither him or AWJ outstanding jumpers. Charteris is a very good lineout option, and imo adds more physicality in defense, and can be a decent carrying option. Maybe not quite the work rate of Ball, but i don't really care if he can stabilize our shaky lineout.

Last edited:
Wales have made four changes to their side to face France on Saturday with George North, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris and Scott Baldwin all coming into the starting XV.

WALES TEAM TO FACE FRANCE:
Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), George North (Northampton Saints), Jonathan Davies (ASM Clermont Auvergne), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Paul James (Bath), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/32767.php#.VOxcnPmsXZo

Gats loves announcing his teams early, doesn't he?

Warren reminds me of that scene in Blackadder: "Doing what we've done 17 times before, it's exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time."

Hi everyone,

I think that Gatland announcing the team this early is just that 80% of the side picks itself, and the other ones won't change with the side PSA names.
Saint-André, on the contrary, things he's playing some kind of cunning mind game delaying the naming of the team as much as possible. He announced changes after last game, and in the end kept pretty much the same 30, except for the injured Kockott.
On the front row, the replacements have made an impact, so people have been calling for them to start. But that won't happen, at least as far as the props are concerned. Debaty has played a lot under PSA, but always as an impact player, and Atonio has admitted he doesn't have the legs to play more than 30 minutes at international level. So Ben Arous and Slimani it will be. Kayser may start, but him and Guirado are pretty much the same.
Papé is not available, which greatly increases the chances of playing 80 minutes with 15 players. Maestri is sure to start, and the other lock is likely to be Taofifenua, as he has been more involved in the team than Vahaamahina and Suta lately. On the backrow, frenchman Leroux has been the best player so he stays, Dusautoir will stay despite his lack of form, and Chouly will start because he's the lineout captain. So the pack will be pretty much the same as in the previous games.

A few thoughts on this: Slimani has been very disappointing. He's been destroying scrums all year, but hasn't taken that to the international level (the ref was a bit harsh on him against Ireland imo, but still). Also, maybe PSA has called in Suta as a potential lineout captain to put pressure on Chouly. For years our lineout depended on Bonnaire and Harinordoquy, so we developed a whole generation of non-jumping locks, and now we're paying for it, being stuck with Chouly instead of a normal number 8.

On the backs, Dulin will probably start (yey!), with Spedding dropping from the 23 altogether. Huget will start too, as he has been the only half-threatening back this year. Fofana will start too, and I can't see Tales or Plisson starting in Lopez's place, though I can see Plisson taking Tales' place in the bench. It's a toss up between Bastareaud and Lamerat, the one not starting probably on the bench. And on the other wing, I think PSA will give Guitoune (or Nakaitaci) a chance. Kockott is not in the 30, but Tillous-Borde is back from injury so Parra is not sure to start.

So it will look something like this:
Ben Arous, Kayser, Mas; Maestri, Taofifenua; Dusautoir, Leroux, Chouly; Parra, Lopez, Guitoune, Fofana, Bastareaud, Huget, Dulin.
Bench: Guirado, Debaty, Atonio, Vahaamahina, Goujon, Tillous-Borde, Plisson, Lamerat.

Hi everyone,

I think that Gatland announcing the team this early is just that 80% of the side picks itself, and the other ones won't change with the side PSA names.
You give Gatland way too much credit there, it's because him/Edwards fancy themselves as the Jose Morhinio or Alex Ferguson of the rugby world and love the mind-games ******** they come up with.

Hi everyone,

On the backs, Dulin will probably start (yey!), with Spedding dropping from the 23 altogether. Huget will start too, as he has been the only half-threatening back this year. Fofana will start too, and I can't see Tales or Plisson starting in Lopez's place, though I can see Plisson taking Tales' place in the bench. It's a toss up between Bastareaud and Lamerat, the one not starting probably on the bench. And on the other wing, I think PSA will give Guitoune (or Nakaitaci) a chance. Kockott is not in the 30, but Tillous-Borde is back from injury so Parra is not sure to start.

I thought Lamerat was very impressive against Ireland. I don't think Fofana and Bastareaud are a good midfield combination, and I also think Fofana looks much more like a 13 than a 12. Is it possible that Lamerat might start 12 with Fofana at 13? From what I've seen I think that could be a very effective pairing.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and welcome, by the way

I thought Lamerat was very impressive against Ireland. I don't think Fofana and Bastareaud are a good midfield combination, and I also think Fofana looks much more like a 13 than a 12. Is it possible that Lamerat might start 12 with Fofana at 13? From what I've seen I think that could be a very effective pairing.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and welcome, by the way

I agree. Fofana / Lamerat to start with Bastereaud replacing either one of them 60mins in when the bench comes on and the French team turns into a human bulldozer. Fofana and Bastereaud are both good player but sadly have no chemistry together what so ever!

I agree. Fofana / Lamerat to start with Bastereaud replacing either one of them 60mins in when the bench comes on and the French team turns into a human bulldozer. Fofana and Bastereaud are both good player but sadly have no chemistry together what so ever!

I'm a big fan of Lamerat

I'm interested to hear if any Welsh fans think Gatland needs to go? I have a Welsh friend and he is so frustrated by Gatland, yet when I ask him if he thinks Gats should be sacked, he says no way, because there is way too much silverware to show.

Latest posts