• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Hurricanes vs. Sharks (QF) 23/07/2016

That 'Canes line-up does not look as daunting on paper as I thought it might. Guess its to be expected at the end of a long campaign. If Lambie were available I might've gone as far as calling the Sharks favorites but I suppose they wouldn't have liked that tag in any case.

Lambie? Really? You think his impact would sway the contest that much? I like Lambie. Good aggressive player, but not sure I have seen that much to suggest he's going to influence the entire outcome of a match. Like I said, not seen that much of him in last 12 months, so going on all I have seen.

can someone explain why he is not allowed to play? Concussion?

Last edited:
Lambie? Really? You think his impact would sway the contest that much? I like Lambie. Good aggressive player, but not sure I have seen that much to suggest he's going to influence the entire outcome of a match. Like I said, not seen that much of him in last 12 months, so going on all I have seen.

can someone explain why he is not allowed to play? Concussion?

Lambie has turned games in the past but the main reason I say that is because he has been around and has more of an all-round game. April on the other hand is the epitome of a talented rookie. He is much more likely to fold under pressure and depending on what plan the Sharks adopt here I expect Lambie would've simply suited it better assuming they will be wanting a more conservative approach and don't discount the value of a better kicking % in tight matches.

As I understand it the Sharks did not list him in the official squad list because he was injured at the time and thus as an 'outside' players needs to play 4 matches to get eligible for the play-offs or get special dispensation from SANZAAR with a reason such as they have multiple injuries in the position.

I do see Le Roux, JL du Preez and Jordaan have made it back in time. Surely with each of their prefered players back their chances increase but will they be match fit and gel in time? I have the same worry for the Stormers with Robert du Preez but then again we cannot really afford not to play him.

Jeez, gotta feel for Savea getting relegated to the bench in a QF...

I wonder if a change in franchises for Savea would be potentially a good move. Something hasn't quite clicked with the guy under Boyd, I wonder if a move to the Crusaders or Highlanders would be a good move for him (not that I'd like to see it).

Lambie has turned games in the past but the main reason I say that is because he has been around and has more of an all-round game. April on the other hand is the epitome of a talented rookie. He is much more likely to fold under pressure and depending on what plan the Sharks adopt here I expect Lambie would've simply suited it better assuming they will be wanting a more conservative approach and don't discount the value of a better kicking % in tight matches.

As I understand it the Sharks did not list him in the official squad list because he was injured at the time and thus as an 'outside' players needs to play 4 matches to get eligible for the play-offs or get special dispensation from SANZAAR with a reason such as they have multiple injuries in the position.

I do see Le Roux, JL du Preez and Jordaan have made it back in time. Surely with each of their prefered players back their chances increase but will they be match fit and gel in time? I have the same worry for the Stormers with Robert du Preez but then again we cannot really afford not to play him.

Correct.

When the Sharks had to submit their initial squad for the 31 January 2016 deadline, they omitted Lambie, as they weren't sure when he would return to the playing field, and they could only list 31 players initially. Then he returned and only played 3 matches and then it was the June Internationals break and then we all know what happened to the baby-faced assassin.

SANZAAR stipulates that a player has to be listed in the original squad or played at least 4 matches for the franchise in the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. This is to prevent players from jumping ship inbetween the season or have a situation where Franchises hire players to play just 1 or 2 games and get them into a better position.

But I honestly think that the Saaaarks should only blame themselves. They could have added Lambie to the Matchday 23 for the last game against the Sunwolves, instead of adding Curwin Bosch, who can't play in the playoffs either as he only played in one game prior to the match against the Sunwolves. Bosch also only played the last 6 minutes of the match, so it's not as if there was such a big issue anyway. Lambie didn't have to be on the field to then qualify for the playoffs, he just had to be in the matchday 23. So he could have been an unused sub, and the Saarks could've played with only 22 players like we used to play.

I actually think the Sharks have a decent shot here. They've been on decent form toward the tail-end of the season, have run all the NZ teams pretty close, and have already beaten the Canes this year (albeit at home).
As someone mentioned I don't think it's the most likely outcome but I'd say it's a possibility, maybe 3/10.

Jeez, gotta feel for Savea getting relegated to the bench in a QF...

I wonder if a change in franchises for Savea would be potentially a good move. Something hasn't quite clicked with the guy under Boyd, I wonder if a move to the Crusaders or Highlanders would be a good move for him (not that I'd like to see it).

The Highlanders dont need that overrated idiot. The Saders can have him. LOL.

I dont get the sympathy for him!? Why? He's not playing even close to his potential. Constantly knocks the ball on and doesnt look interested in the slightest. I actually blame that wife of his filling his head full of liberal rubbish.

Am I the only one who thinks the Sharks can win this?
The Hurricanes are 15 point favourites, and being given almost a 90% chance of reaching the semi final!-Incredible.
I know the Canes are in great form, and the Sharks haven't looked great in a weak South African conference, but surely today's game's gotta be closer than that.
The Sharks have all their injured players back, and they have a lot of springboks in their team. They also play an ultra-physical brand of Rugby and could dominate set-piece. They won against the Highlanders albeit against 14 men. They lack the skill-set to rack up points against weaker teams, but can hurt stronger teams with their physicality. Shock win on the cards?

The Highlanders dont need that overrated idiot. The Saders can have him. LOL.

Constantly knocks the ball on and doesnt look interested in the slightest. I actually blame that wife of his filling his head full of liberal rubbish.

What the f--k is wrong with you?

Good luck both teams, hope this is a close one.

Come Sharkies, make us all shut the F up

Looks like a 12+ point wind. Sharks will need to take their chances when they come.

Got a free ticket to the game tonight - the weather is so bad I decided to watch it from home. Wellington is notoriously windy but this is going to be beyond the pale I think.
may the best team win!

Got a free ticket to the game tonight - the weather is so bad I decided to watch it from home. Wellington is notoriously windy but this is going to be beyond the pale I think.
may the best team win!

60 km/h gale = "bit of a breeze" to most Wellingtonians.

That's already 6 points in missed goals and 3 cost from not rolling away where he didn't even need to be part of the tackle April cost the Sharks.

Havent paid much attention to his scrum ability but that Loni prop fella for the Canes has been outstanding the last two games.

Superb try. How the hell can Barret out up a pinpoint crossfield kick in those conditions?

This could be as one sided as some people predicted. Sharks don't look to have the skill set to deal with this.

13-0 Canes. Against the gale.

Last edited:
If you wondered why they were called the Hurricanes, this is why.

60 km/h gale = "bit of a breeze" to most Wellingtonians.

Haha, yup but too much even for me.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the consensus on Barrett over Cruden? The ABs have been using Barrett as an impact player...does he deserve a permanent start? I like Cruden. He is comparatively small (5'8?). The more game time Barrett gets the better he plays.
i feel like the ABs management just needs to choose key players and let their confidence grow; i.e. Fullback, wings etc. We are almost too spoiled for players.
As for this game, so far the Canes look good. The scrum is holding up well.

Latest posts