• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship

Not going to be an England NZ final this year

England will be top seeds and NZ best 2nd place so they'll meet in the semi final.

Ireland will play Argentina in the other semi. (I doubt many people saw that coming!)

So in all likelihood the tournament winner will be decided by the England NZ semi final. I think England will probably win the whole thing. Our pack looks very dominant and NZ aren't as good this year as in past seasons. It's not just that they lost to Ireland today, but last year they had Akira Iouane, Tevita Li. This year apart from Barrett's younger brother no-one's heard of anyone in their team. And they lost to Australia a few weeks ago to.

No doubt someone has already posted this, but had to have my say - That Irish half back tapped the ball back under his No. 8's feet, just prior to the NZ half getting penalised for coming around the scrum.

Bill Johnston is out of the tournament which probably sees our chance of winning it go too. Unfortunate considering if we beat Argentina, assuming they make it of course, we'd have had a team we've beaten this year in the final.

Georgia look like a test too, saw they pushed Wales to the bitter end.

Bill Johnston is out of the tournament which probably sees our chance of winning it go too. Unfortunate considering if we beat Argentina, assuming they make it of course, we'd have had a team we've beaten this year in the final.

Georgia look like a test too, saw they pushed Wales to the bitter end.

Yea he's very unlucky but still great heart there so hopefully we keep it going

It's been very enjoyable so far. Plenty of upsets which is all you can ask for in a tournament.

Johnston is a big blow alright. Himself Arnold, O'Donnell, Claffey and Connors are all first choice players who are injured. Still, if they lose no more players, they've a good chance of winning it.

Am I getting it right by saying the winners of the 3 groups go through plus the best second place into the semis ?

Our scrum is getting a bit of a kicking.

Australia have got 7 forwards on their bench, as well, so it'll probably continue!

Edit:
We win a penalty at the scrum and it almost descends into a 30 man brawl :lol:

I've heard so many good things about Jack Walker, but this tournament is the first I've seen him play. Not been blown away, to say the least.

Last edited:

Australia have got 7 forwards on their bench, as well, so it'll probably continue!

Edit:

I've heard so many good things about Jack Walker, but this tournament is the first I've seen him play. Not been blown away, to say the least.

I think they only have 5 forwards on the bench ? Taylor, Asiati, Vui, Rodder and Leota ?

England being really really stupid, not playing to the conditions at all. Yeah it's nice they are trying to play with tempo and adventure but it isn't working in the wet and they need to just calm down and do the basics. We are playing right into the Aussies hands and too many unforced errors.

Edit:

Same and in the 6N's (I think he played at least)

I don't know if it is because he started playing for the U20's @ 16 and therefore was overhyped, but just not been that impressed either.

Although we do look like we have a very good crop of players coming up.

- - - Updated - - -

Mercer isn't all that either.

The size difference between Mercer and the Aussie 12 was insane. I thought the Aussie was their tight head!

Australia so much more composed, we're throwing daft offloads and some players look scared of contact and just fling the ball away when a tackler comes charging in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mallinder-Marchant in not too many years time, will be the best centre pairing England will have put out in over a decade.

Latest posts