• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 World Rugby U20 Championship

I don't rate Marchant that much TBH.

I don't think you've seen enough of him then, he's like JJ but faster and stronger. Him and Mallinder is such a beautifully balanced centre pairing, post 2019 I'd love to see them in the centres with Slade 10, Nowell and Watson wings, Haley FB. Plus Robson 9.

Maybe. Obviously it's impossible to tell what kind of form players will be in by then, so there's not a lot of point speculating about it. Personally I'd prefer Marchant with Daly bench for his utility, but either way will hopefully work. It is exciting when you see the young talent England have ATM though. Even the Vunipola bros could still have a couple more World Cups in them.

Merchant looks, to me, like the kind of kid that excelled because he was faster than everyone else.
Kind of like how Will Skelton has coasted on his size for so long and his basics have suffered.

TBF you where the one who speculated first ;)

TBF, wasn't saying speculation as irrelevant, just that there isn't much point going into it ;) and wow, what a wasted ball that was. I've never seen the point of chips like that, especially when the 15 is right in behind.

Merchant looks, to me, like the kind of kid that excelled because he was faster than everyone else.
Kind of like how Will Skelton has coasted on his size for so long and his basics have suffered.

Thats how i feel about him.

It's telling in this game bar the one time with his try he has been hammered nearly every time he has touched the ball by the bigger aussie backs.

TBF, wasn't saying speculation as irrelevant, just that there isn't much point going into it ;) and wow, what a wasted ball that was. I've never seen the point of chips like that, especially when the 15 is right in behind.

He's only 18/19? I can't imagine JJ, Daly or many other fast 13s were too different at this age. He's got a lot of time to work on his skills and I hope he does, because he's a real talent and it would be a shame for it to be wasted on under development.

That guys got a boot on him doesn't he?! Not many in the EPS could get range like that. Was it Williams?

Last edited:
Daly looked excellent at that age - think he was 19 when he played for the Barbarians vs the B&I Lions

Will be interesting to see how Thompkins develops esp if he can get ahead of Bosch at sarries.

- - - Updated - - -

Also does that mean both Aus and NZ are out?

Will be interesting to see how Thompkins develops esp if he can get ahead of Bosch at sarries.

- - - Updated - - -

Also does that mean both Aus and NZ are out?

With Bosch and Taylor at Sarries I would imagine that to get any real game time Thompkins will have to go elsewhere. I think Chiefs are in dire need of some centres for next season so he could head there. Or on a serious note, I think he'd do quite well at Glaws outside 36.

Last edited:
I don't want him to go to glous that is the graveyard of English International Backs.

I think if he gets ahead of Bosch which is possible he will get a good chance of rotation with Sarries IMO.

Maybe Saints (depending on Stephenson), Tigers (Depending on if Manu actually gets fit).

Doubt Saints with Mallinder, Burrelland Pisi there. Same for Tigers with Toomua, Tuilagi, Betham and JPP. Quins? They may not want to take him on with Marchant developing, but it's possible. I think Glaws is his best chance, but maybe not. Wouldn't be surprised by a Bath move either, seeing as after JJ, Banahan is their best option at 13.

Australia and New Zealand out... Who would have thought we would be seeing these results across all age groups after the last world cup.

Doubt Saints with Mallinder, Burrelland Pisi there. Same for Tigers with Toomua, Tuilagi, Betham and JPP. Quins? They may not want to take him on with Marchant developing, but it's possible. I think Glaws is his best chance, but maybe not. Wouldn't be surprised by a Bath move either, seeing as after JJ, Banahan is their best option at 13.

Mallinder is a 12 though, Burrell is limited and Pisi 30 this year.

Mallinder is a 12 though, Burrell is limited and Pisi 30 this year.

I think Mallinder would be better at 13 TBH, we saw what he did at FB when given a bit of extra space. And Pisi's 30 this year?! Wow, thought he was still in his mid-twenties. It's very possible then, although I'm not sure how well he suits their style of play.

Think you guys are underrating Marchant... he's very well rounded (good rugby brain and level headed with it) and looked comfortable at prem level when he's played there.
Definitely not the sort of guy who coasted in junior level through athleticism - I think he's going to be a very important player for Quins.

I think Malins has to come in at 10 for this side... Mallinder does not look like a FH.

Think you guys are underrating Marchant... he's very well rounded (good rugby brain and level headed with it) and looked comfortable at prem level when he's played there.
Definitely not the sort of guy who coasted in junior level through athleticism - I think he's going to be a very important player for Quins.

I think Malins has to come in at 10 for this side... Mallinder does not look like a FH.

We are a bit unlucky ironically to have 2 good players at 12 in Williams and Mallinder to play in the centre with Marchant . Maybe Mallinder could play full back ?

Also does this mean the semi finals are Arg vs Ire and Eng vs SA ?

Last edited:
Sarries are slow at bringing through talent, but sure. Maybe Tompkins needs to move but if he's got the talent I think they'll filter in him over the next two seasons or so and move on Bosch. After all, he's only 21 (and hasn't been absolutely starved of Premiership game time) and Bosch is 32; there's a natural progression to that one.

Latest posts