• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Scotland vs. Ireland (04/02/2017)

This result is huge for this tournament. Huge. The more teams in contention the better. Best thing that could have happened.

It does seem weird that everytime Jackson put in a grubber they got a good result out of it, so they done that what 3 times?
Considering the kicking ability of the half backs they didn't use their brains at all. Weir was on the pitch 5 minutes they should've copied him !

Right? You're on a one point lead, twenty to go... just keep sticking it in the corners and wait for the mistake to collect your extra three. Don't fanny around in midfield until you lose possession and territory.

Yeah agree with this. A lot of bad decisions, including several by Murray, most surprisingly.

I don't think it can be complacency - they wouldn't be arrogant enough to think they didn't need to turn up to win. I just think they're a bit of a good day/bad day team and today was a bad one.

Only needs a touch of complacency for people to start making bad decisions sometimes. Starting with the tactical framework they went out there with.

Well its a lesson in taking chances. Scotland took all theirs and Ireland blew most of theirs. But its always been like that under Schmidt. Head down, low risk, bosh rugby.

Only needs a touch of complacency for people to start making bad decisions sometimes. Starting with the tactical framework they went out there with.

You think it was a plan from Schmidt to fanny around in the middle of the pitch? I'm not convinced

Pen, not yellow. Move along.

Yellow all day long.

If you caught Wayne Barnes pre- match interpretation of new high tackle ruling that was high - period!!!!!

Then again this is Poite so I'm surprised the ball carrier wasn't red carded for allowing the tackler to make contact above the shoulder.

I'm convinced Poite makes things up as he goes along.

Big issues.
Is Henderson right at lock?
The balance of backrow. All 3 did well but had we balance?
Predictability along back moves?
Our lineout and defensive game?

Also we are by no means out of anything

If you caught Wayne Barnes pre- match interpretation of new high tackle ruling that was high - period!!!!!

Wayne Barnes's segment on it before the match totally vindicated Poite's decision. High but slipped up, no real power behind it. Penalty only

Wayne Barnes's segment on it before the match totally vindicated Poite's decision. High but slipped up, no real power behind it. Penalty only

It was brilliant segment. Switched to BBC and really enjoyed coverage and loved chemistry of commentary

Well this has buggered up my RBS fantasy team, I had 5 irishmen in it...

Pen, not yellow. Move along.

That was yellow all day long . Period!!!!
If you saw Wayne Barnes pre-match of how high tackles are to be interpreted and consequences for the offender then there is no way that tackle could be anything else but yellow.

Then again it is Poite and he pretty much makes things up as he goes along.

Congrats Bruce.

But I'd say it's opposite. It's great for tournament. They were worthy winners

Thanks, but my side kick off tomorrow. You can congratulate me when O'Shea conquers his homeland! :p

- - - Updated - - -

It was brilliant segment. Switched to BBC and really enjoyed coverage and loved chemistry of commentary

It is very good, but Andy Nicol and to a lesser extent Paterson are weak links. Scott Hastings is awful too. Oh for a Scottish pundit worth a sook. At least we have Cotter, who is top class.

Thanks, but my side kick off tomorrow. You can congratulate me when O'Shea conquers his homeland! :p

- - - Updated - - -

It is very good, but Andy Nicol and to a lesser extent Paterson are weak links. Scott Hastings is awful too. Oh for a Scottish pundit worth a sook. At least we have Cotter, who is top class.

My bad. Thought you were scottish lol ah italy get irish backlash next week

Hamish Watson was superb in the first half and will have given Gatland something to think about. Thought Dunbar also had a great game and showed his defensive qualities, likewise Maitland.

Really looking forward to seeing how we do in Paris next week. Should be a great game although we are badly missing Nel and Dickinson.

Well Scotland top after day 1 who had money on that?

Hamish Watson was superb in the first half and will have given Gatland something to think about. Thought Dunbar also had a great game and showed his defensive qualities, likewise Maitland.

Really looking forward to seeing how we do in Paris next week. Should be a great game although we are badly missing Nel and Dickinson.

In fairness Watson was unreal. I wonder will Glasgow win in Racing mean Scotland have no fear in Paris

Ireland never great favorites - let the all blacks game and all the talk about a potential grand slam get to their heads!

Big issues.
Is Henderson right at lock?
The balance of backrow. All 3 did well but had we balance?
Predictability along back moves?
Our lineout and defensive game?

Also we are by no means out of anything

The back moves? I don't know if you call what we were up to in the first half 'back moves' but the play was tragic in its execution. Two dummy runners, pass in behind, rinse, repeat. The only problem was the Scottish defenders were laughing at the would be carriers and picking up our pedestrian runners at ease. Shocking stuff. You try these 'innovations' against Georgia or Tonga.

Henderson shouldn't be starting. He's a strong lad, he carries brilliantly but he doesn't do what second rows should be doing. Hits no rucks, isn't a good jumper and frankly his work rate isn't high enough. Fills a highlight reel and great presence off the bench but has to start ahead of him.

Backline are still ****. Bubble burst a bit for Ringrose (he has time on his side though) and Earls is a poor defender when things get sticky. Zebo wants to play 12/13 and rarely keeps his width and we've no player in the team with genuine pace.

Only ourselves to blame. The first half was one side playing test match intensity rugby and another side working on moves like they were out for training run. Not to take away from Scotland mind you. They'll be hard beaten all tournament imo. The second half was ferocious stuff from both teams.

Last edited:
Forgot to say I was biggest advocate of way Murrays standing leg was targetted in European game.
But today Scotland targetted him and our guys 100% legal with a brilliant rush defence and very disruptive at breakdown. Well done again guys ye outthought us and outplayed is for more of game

Latest posts