• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Scotland vs. Ireland (04/02/2017)

Alpha we see things so different. Everyone said John Ryan was only sub who had good impact. I think your biggest issue is your so hooked on it being Leinster only which is fair. I won't dispute with you as wow. I've never realised it until now. But wow

Because a Connacht guy who would have brought more mobility to a side much needed mobility would have suited the game better? I said nothing of Ryan's performance, he had a strong showing but was the wrong man for the job... Does it look like I'm happy that my prediction of the wings and RR struggling or not having a vaible option at 10 on the bench were correct? Quite clearly not... Grow up.

Because a Connacht guy who would have brought more mobility to a side much needed mobility would have suited the game better? I said nothing of Ryan's performance, he had a strong showing but was the wrong man for the job... Does it look like I'm happy that my prediction of the wings and RR struggling or not having a vaible option at 10 on the bench were correct? Quite clearly not... Grow up.

No because
1. You get kick in on Earls like it has to be done even if he has great game.
2. You say CJ was bullied even though he seemed to do better than others in backrow but is Munster.
3. After all rant about Madigan. If he were 22 he wouldn't have played either
4. Not sure I'd agree on wings but more so won't argue as I say because you just see it through Leinster eyes. As I notice nothing on Kearney pass that could've set Zebo off or poor Heaslip decision. See as I say selective arguing is great. Guess I've justblearntbto watch overall and get over provincial stuff for few weeks. Pity everyone cant

Guess I've just realised no point trying to argue with same old broken record. I suppose I'm better off listening to guys who watch all Pro12 guys. So as I said won't argue just let you off

Last edited:
No because
2. You say CJ was bullied even though he seemed to do better than others in backrow but is Munster.
4. Not sure I'd agree on wings but more so won't argue as I say because you just see it through Leinster eyes.

Guess I've just realised no point trying to argue with same old broken record. I suppose I'm better off listening to guys who watch all Pro12 guys. So as I said won't argue just let you off

1. You're the only one here who thinks Earls had a great game. He made no decision for Hogg's try and was caught along with RR defensively numerous times.
2. I've never had a bad thing to say about CJ, look at the carrying stats though, he was a lot weaker than the other two backrows.
3. How do you know that? Schmidt has used Madigan as an impact sub hundreds of times, that's also hardly anti-Munster it was anti-nobody because no one was used, we all know Keatley was there in case of emergency only.

The broken record here is that I'm not alllwed to say anything about a Munster player without being attacked. In this thread I'be said that the 13 and wings were weak, a more mobile bench was needed with Bealham > Ryan being the obvious option and that there is no point having a guy who has played well and won big games for Irelabd in the 22 shirt picking his hole in France. I think if anything Paddy Jackson came out worse in my evaluation, Ringrose didn't shine because he had no impact on the game but can any of the Leinster props who fared well, Toner who had the highest off the ball workrate, SOB and Heaslip who took the bulk of the tight carrying to the Scots, Henshaw who was our best player or RK whowas our best back 3 player really be criticised apart from stupid passes by 8 and 15? VdF's poor form continued into this but without POM you can't really call his selection a mistake. The success in the Autumn was because Munster and Ulster guys really upped their game from previous international periods last year, none of them, bar Ryan who wasn't the right man for the job, can say they were anywhere near their best, same goes for everyone else apart from the four I name checked in my first post...

But of course there's not any form of intelligence to the posts of the person with whom you disagree the most with on this forum, he just hates Munster.

No because
4. Not sure I'd agree on wings but more so won't argue as I say because you just see it through Leinster eyes. As I notice nothing on Kearney pass that could've set Zebo off or poor Heaslip decision. See as I say selective arguing is great. Guess I've justblearntbto watch overall and get over provincial stuff for few weeks. Pity everyone cant

The irony is its who has the problem. You just can't listen to criticism of Munster players without reacting.

Nice write up dullonien. I've been saying it since Argentina tore us up in the World Cup slow wingers get exposed. If I was coach I'd literally drop all the incumbents. Trimble, Bowe, Earls, D Kearney, McFadden. I want to drop R Kearney too but he's making it difficult for me! Get Byrne, O'Loughlin , Sweetnam into the team. Running fast is a young mans game.

Just what was this all about?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/0204/850158-ogara-mouth-scots/

O'Gara comes off as nothing more than a petty and spiteful individual here. Can anyone provide me with anything particularly 'mouthy' that came from the Scotland camp before the game or are we simply all now expected to constantly heap praise and deference on Ireland in the hope of not upsetting O'Gara?

As for the game itself, that was by far and away the strangest Scotland game I have personally been at. To be in such a strong position at half time and then in characteristically Scottish fashion throw it away in the second half and allow Ireland to take the lead. To find that extra level however to (finally in the second half) actually control the ball and put Ireland under some pressure in that last ten minutes and then win the game was superb. I can barely speak today having lost my voice with that rendition of Flower of Scotland as Laidlaw was setting himself to kick that last penalty yesterday. Not my favourite song I have to admit though I was giving it 'laldy' yesterday, despite my nerves being shot by that point.

And much has been said of the Gray brothers, Hogg and a few others playing for Scotland yesterday, though defensively I thought Maitland had an excellent game. That last ditch tackle on Kearney in the 58th minute being case in point. I also felt that Barclay had an excellent game coming on as a substitute. Could only have helped his chances of being a starter next weekend.

Last edited:
What a great result for Scotland, it's a shame they play England at Twicks.

Ireland proving they lack genuine depth, a few injuries and they're pretty ordinary.

The irony is its who has the problem. You just can't listen to criticism of Munster players without reacting.

Nice write up dullonien. I've been saying it since Argentina tore us up in the World Cup slow wingers get exposed. If I was coach I'd literally drop all the incumbents. Trimble, Bowe, Earls, D Kearney, McFadden. I want to drop R Kearney too but he's making it difficult for me! Get Byrne, O'Loughlin , Sweetnam into the team. Running fast is a young mans game.

Not really as I criticise Munster giys here. And don't continually harp 1 about 1 guy. Yeah I may answer back but constructively.

1. You're the only one here who thinks Earls had a great game. He made no decision for Hogg's try and was caught along with RR defensively numerous times.
2. I've never had a bad thing to say about CJ, look at the carrying stats though, he was a lot weaker than the other two backrows.
3. How do you know that? Schmidt has used Madigan as an impact sub hundreds of times, that's also hardly anti-Munster it was anti-nobody because no one was used, we all know Keatley was there in case of emergency only.

The broken record here is that I'm not alllwed to say anything about a Munster player without being attacked. In this thread I'be said that the 13 and wings were weak, a more mobile bench was needed with Bealham > Ryan being the obvious option and that there is no point having a guy who has played well and won big games for Irelabd in the 22 shirt picking his hole in France. I think if anything Paddy Jackson came out worse in my evaluation, Ringrose didn't shine because he had no impact on the game but can any of the Leinster props who fared well, Toner who had the highest off the ball workrate, SOB and Heaslip who took the bulk of the tight carrying to the Scots, Henshaw who was our best player or RK whowas our best back 3 player really be criticised apart from stupid passes by 8 and 15? VdF's poor form continued into this but without POM you can't really call his selection a mistake. The success in the Autumn was because Munster and Ulster guys really upped their game from previous international periods last year, none of them, bar Ryan who wasn't the right man for the job, can say they were anywhere near their best, same goes for everyone else apart from the four I name checked in my first post...

But of course there's not any form of intelligence to the posts of the person with whom you disagree the most with on this forum, he just hates Munster.

Best of luck. I'm bot even arguing back. Maybe read though again. Never said Earls had great game but as I said I'm out.
Will finish on stats. For CJ if you mean carrying for more metres than SOB or carries than Heaslip as in poor. Fair enough. Just as I said I think you can be bias but look I'm out of here. Don't gotta worry about me any more ruining it with facts.

Last edited:
Lesson for Ireland.
Wake up before the second half.
Starting late leaves a hole too big to fill in.

O'Gara comes off as nothing more than a petty and spiteful individual here. Can anyone provide me with anything particularly 'mouthy' that came from the Scotland camp before the game or are we simply all now expected to constantly heap praise and deference on Ireland in the hope of not upsetting O'Gara?

As for the game itself, that was by far and away the strangest Scotland game I have personally been at. To be in such a strong position at half time and then in characteristically Scottish fashion throw it away in the second half and allow Ireland to take the lead. To find that extra level however to (finally in the second half) actually control the ball and put Ireland under some pressure in that last ten minutes and then win the game was superb. I can barely speak today having lost my voice with that rendition of Flower of Scotland as Laidlaw was setting himself to kick that last penalty yesterday. Not my favourite song I have to admit though I was giving it 'laldy' yesterday, despite my nerves being shot by that point.

And much has been said of the Gray brothers, Hogg and a few others playing for Scotland yesterday, though defensively I thought Maitland had an excellent game. That last ditch tackle on Kearney in the 58th minute being case in point. I also felt that Barclay had an excellent game coming on as a substitute. Could only have helped his chances of being a starter next weekend.

Maitland had a very good game I thought. No-one's really talked him up as a Lions contender, but if he can keep up that form, he will be in the running.

Scotland were excellent in the first half and showed so much intensity. A lot of those players are young enough to keep improving too. If they can turn that 40 in to a 80 minute performance, there will be more days like yesterday.

Brian O'Driscoll also spoke or Scotland giving it a lot of big talk in the run up to the game. I confess it escaped me too. Maybe the Irish camp were struggling for motivation or something. The Scottish setup seem very well grounded and modest in my opinion.

Lesson for Ireland.
Wake up before the second half.
Starting late leaves a hole too big to fill in.

I think Best made mention of that in the interview. Can't give good sides such a head start and expect to win. As you say though, long term a kick in the arse won't be a bad thing. We turned yesterday trying a new attack structure. The very fact we were trying something untested in a big game at Murrayfield is telling.

Best of luck. I'm bot even arguing back. Maybe read though again. Never said Earls had great game but as I said I'm out.
Will finish on stats. For CJ if you mean carrying for more metres than SOB or carries than Heaslip as in poor. Fair enough. Just as I said I think you can be bias but look I'm out of here. Don't gotta worry about me any more ruining it with facts.

Stander carried more times for considerable less metres than Heaslip and ~ 10 more times for 3 or 4 more metres than SOB while supposedly being our main attacking threat... Skewing stats again are we? Also going in on one guy?

Earls had a bad game defensively which I mentioned in a post going in on plenty of other guys, I said before the game I was worried about Earls' defence but that he was the best option we had, I don't think that anymore and would agree with Corny's point of view, those three and Gilroy need promoting hopefully Connacht's boys can catch up again. Its also insanely rich coming from someone who has been saying since, at least, the 1st Leinster v Munster game this year that Rob Kearney is done at this level, I'd say going in on a guy is much worse if its completely baseless...
Anyway I'm done, added to the ignore list because I can't stand going around in circles and having personal accusations made against me (something I've never retaliated to) so this will be the final time I engage with you considering you can't see I'm an Ireland fam criticising Ireland players and instead bring petty provincal rivalries into it, which to me reads that you think my posts lack any form of intelligence and therefore there's no point.

Brian O'Driscoll also spoke or Scotland giving it a lot of big talk in the run up to the game. I confess it escaped me too. Maybe the Irish camp were struggling for motivation or something. The Scottish setup seem very well grounded and modest in my opinion.

Maybe its just hard for that generation of players to accept Scotland might fancy themselves to actually win now. Either way they're talking ****e. Laidlaw couldn't have been more respectful earlier in the week and in victory.

I think they were struggling unless they were referring to quotes after the Glasgow Munster game in relation to Murray which had nothing to do with yesterday's game. I find it annoying when players or coaches get accused of mouthing off to the press when it's the press who are arranging the interviews. Many people can't be bothered reading the whole article and are happy to use a mischievous headline as a reason to spout BS without bothering to understand the context or content of the interview.

A nice rivalry have formed, hopefully this isn't a false dawn for the Scots because I'd love a nice, hate filled rivalry like we used to have with the Argentinans.

Doesn't surprise me to be honest. ROG doesn't like it unless the opposition get down on a bended knee and pour worship on the great team that is Ireland.

You can only hope to hammer teams if you're Eddie Jones is it? Christ wept.

Anyway, skimming through Scottish media and they're really bigging up the Scottish performance while rubbing in just how bad Ireland were, do they not think that's somewhat ominous? I don't think they'll finish with three wins unless they win next week to be honest.

You can only hope to hammer teams if you're Eddie Jones is it? Christ wept.

Anyway, skimming through Scottish media and they're really bigging up the Scottish performance while rubbing in just how bad Ireland were, do they not think that's somewhat ominous? I don't think they'll finish with three wins unless they win next week to be honest.

You don't think we'll beat a Gatlandless Wales (at home) and an Italy side with nothing to play for in the last round of games?

On paper, yesterday was our second hardest game of the competition IMO.

Latest posts