• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Six Nations] - England

If he plays this weekend in any form and comes through unscathed. He will be on the bench vs Scotland.

I imagine that would cause some building material to be expelled out of some Scottish rear ends.

Last edited:
Don't know where to post this but does anyone know when the fixtures are being announced for the 2018 6 Nations ? Want to book our annual trip to Benidorm but don't want it on a break week

Billy Vunipola got through 72 minutes unscathed today. He and brother Mako looked good.

Good to hear. Does Eddie start him on the bench v Scotland to ease him back in? Personally I would so he is relatively up to speed v Ireland. Can't be too careful with knees after 3 and half months out.

to be honest last year vunipola was awesome in every game in the 6n, but the game against Scotland they neutralized him, I think the key for you beating Scotland is playing ben youngs at 9 , this box kicking is better than care's , and I would be tempted to play Farrell at 10 and dropping ford, ford is too easily rocked and I think finn russel will eat him for breakfast

Yarde recalled to the training squad. Can't quite comprehend why unless someone has picked up a knock. Wing is one of our least worrying positions unless Yarde is playing there...

Yarde's ****e as well
Maybe they don't trust Watson's fitness? It was a hamstring that he was out with before, right? Maybe it doesn't feel great after the Wasps game

to be honest last year vunipola was awesome in every game in the 6n, but the game against Scotland they neutralized him, I think the key for you beating Scotland is playing ben youngs at 9 , this box kicking is better than care's , and I would be tempted to play Farrell at 10 and dropping ford, ford is too easily rocked and I think finn russel will eat him for breakfast

Err ... no, yes, no ...

IIRC, Billy was MoM in the Scotland game last year? Even if I'm not correct, Scotland certainly didn't 'neutralise him'.

As much as Youngs isn't a particular favourite of mine, his box kicking is significantly better than Care's.

Russell is a very good player, but if you think he'll 'eat him (Ford) for breakfast', I think you're sorely mistaken.

IIRC, Billy was MoM in the Scotland game last year? Even if I'm not correct, Scotland certainly didn't 'neutralise him'.
Yup he was MoM, it was week 1 and if memory serves me correctly Billy earnt most of his rep last year in the first couple of games.

Ah the old 'run it up Ford's channel, he'll be made to look like a mug and is a turnstile' line. Look the guy is not brilliant in defence but considering how long he's been playing international rugby and how often it has actually happened I think people put too much emphasis on this being a viable tactic especially considering how many teams have tried to exploit it.

I think England will win but it'll be the most competitive Calcutta Cup match in a long time.

Mike Williams back at Leicester with an ankle injury, Josh Beaumont called up to replace.

Josh Beaumont is an interesting one. He was called up in EJs first extended squad IIRC. How's his form been for Sale? Always looks decent, without dominating games. Do we think he has potential for a decent international career?

Not sure why they are calling up so many players this late in the tournament in one position. Why do we need 3 back rows that are outside the 23? If it's for injury cover, why is there no cover for the front row?

Not sure why they are calling up so many players this late in the tournament in one position. Why do we need 3 back rows that are outside the 23? If it's for injury cover, why is there no cover for the front row?

Could be cos Billy is just back from injury ?

On a plus note thought Sinkler was good vs Glos on the weekend his scrummaging has really improved ...

It's the original 30 man squad getting back together, good chance to have enough players to run proper competitive training, no need to read anything into those who've been recalled.

Josh Beaumont is an interesting one. He was called up in EJs first extended squad IIRC. How's his form been for Sale?

Dipped massively for a while, but he looks to be getting back to his best now. Game against Wasps was class

He'll be nowhere near the 23, and rightfully so, but it's good to see he's still in the EPS ballpark.

I think all the back row being called up shows that Jones is still not happy with the backrow.

He's still messing around with the back three as well. I can understand though we don't have suitable backups to Robshaw and Haskell.

I think all the back row being called up shows that Jones is still not happy with the backrow.

He's still messing around with the back three as well. I can understand though we don't have suitable backups to Robshaw and Haskell.

It's just the 30, I don't know why people are getting so excited about this. It lets Jones run 15 vs 15, and get his whole 30 man 6N squad together.

It's just the 30, I don't know why people are getting so excited about this. It lets Jones run 15 vs 15, and get his whole 30 man 6N squad together.

Just commenting on the weird abundance of back rows. A 15 v 15 session would have Harrison or someone at lock. Just a bit odd looking

Talk of the devil, back to 24 just two days later.

Forwards (13)

Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints).

Backs (11)

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

All the extra back rows released, and Yarde. Billy Vunipola and Wood preferred to Clifford.