• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Ireland vs New Zealand (17/11/18)

With Henderson able to cover lock and 6 probably makes him better bench cover than Bernie.

On the 7 issue for ABs - yeah surprised ABs haven't started Todd to be honest. Good call in the centre pairing by BOD. ABs have struggled to replace Nonu and Smith, which is why I wouldn't be surprised next year if Nonu gets a recall.

Not that I'd rather Beirne but to be fair he was playing 6 and 8 fairly regularly with the Scarlets, while Henderson has barely played 6 in years.

Centre hasn't worked out brilliantly for the ABs in the last few years but there's no denying that they've got huge talent in that position, don't think they need Nonu. They'd be better off trying to get the best out of the players they have.

What makes Henderson the better bench option is him being able to call the lineout and scrummage as a tighthead lock.

With Henderson able to cover lock and 6 probably makes him better bench cover than Bernie.

On the 7 issue for ABs - yeah surprised ABs haven't started Todd to be honest. Good call in the centre pairing by BOD. ABs have struggled to replace Nonu and Smith, which is why I wouldn't be surprised next year if Nonu gets a recall.

Ardie was great last week, definitely doesn't dserve to be dropped, 6/Squire is the issue. Haven't had a proper blindside since Kaino retired.

Not that I'd rather Beirne but to be fair he was playing 6 and 8 fairly regularly with the Scarlets, while Henderson has barely played 6 in years.

Centre hasn't worked out brilliantly for the ABs in the last few years but there's no denying that they've got huge talent in that position, don't think they need Nonu. They'd be better off trying to get the best out of the players they have.

Ah right thought Beirne just covered lock.

Nonu not a shoe in of course, which is why i is said I wouldn't be surprised. A centre with 100 plus caps available is not one to totally ignore, especially a two time World Cup winner.

I think ABs problem since Nonu -Smith retired is they haven't had a consistent pair at 12-13. Not that they don't have the players. It will be interesting to see how SBW-Nonu do at the Blues next season. Not that Nonu has ever done much at Super Rugby, but when he puts on an ABs shirt he's a different player.

Yeah 7 is a huge weakness if if theirs when down Cane, it's why I won't stand for any "If wE HAd cOnoR mURrAy" after the game on the off chance we lose. Savea was heralded after last week but my God wasn't he just the worst player on the pitch in the minutes England went up to 15-0.

Fortunately for Ardie and the All Blacks, games go longer than 30 minutes :D

Ardie was great last week, definitely doesn't dserve to be dropped, 6/Squire is the issue. Haven't had a proper blindside since Kaino retired.

Yeah Squire's an 8, who has been shoe horned into the 6 shirt; I expect him to take over Read at 8 post RWC in the short term. Until or if ever Akira works it out.

I think ABs problem since Nonu -Smith retired is they haven't had a consistent pair at 12-13. Not that they don't have the players. It will be interesting to see how SBW-Nonu do at the Blues next season. Not that Nonu has ever done much at Super Rugby, but when he puts on an ABs shirt he's a different player.
Yeah good point - Nonu wasn't that great at all for the Blues or the Highlanders but great for the All Blacks. I think Nonu is too old now to do the type of damage that he used to.

Was a good match. Surprised Ireland weren't more competitive in the second half.

It's not exactly the same though for VDF as he's first choice in Leinster right now ahead of the two guys who he's stuck behind in an Ireland shirt. I'd say between the three of them it's more of a style thing than player quality because they're all more or less equally good unless SOB rediscovers his best. Worth noting that Leavy and O'Brien both play multiple positions anyway. All three are more or less fixtures on the injury lists anyway so we need them all.

Ruddock is different but at the same time he's in the mix and hugely respected at Leinster but in fairness there hasn't been any type of clamour for him in green for a decent while now. He's a funny one as he's a clearly an excellent player and in another era could have one 50 caps as captain.

I'm feeling pessimistic now that the game is finally nearly here, but I do think that if it's close and Sexton is still on with about 10 minutes to go we might be able to finish it off.
Not really as both Leavy and O'Brien are well clear in Ireland. You coyld argue styles on Beirne too. Fact is you need an injury or bit of luck to break in. If everyone is fit Van Der Flier doenst tog today thats a fact.

Ruddock is same as you say. A good player who in another era would be start player but is a fringe player again in this Irish camp a bit of top options which shows depth. But players need a break. Beirne will need an injury or continued loss of form to get in but all he can do is keep up his high level performances and wait for that chance.

What makes Henderson the better bench option is him being able to call the lineout and scrummage as a tighthead lock.
Amd what makes him an credible option is when he comes on his grumt work for shifting pianos in the heavy traffice will be vital.

Roysh! Off to Baggot St for a few creamers. Going in high spirits too, reckon the boys will win 29-21, Johnny, Garry or Rob motm. See you on the other side lads.

Latest posts