• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Italy vs New Zealand (24/11/18)

Meanwhile Bridge and Lam sit at home watching it on the tele having a beer.

Yea, I do t understand why he didn't bring atleast one of them along for the tour. Plenty of opportunity to test them out. I don't like this duel full back role/2 play maker thing they are going for with Dmac at 15 and Jordie on the wing. Is it a case of seeing Barret and being seduced by having 3 brothers on the field? I would drop Jordie unfortunately, I do t think he brings anything more to the position than what we already have. With Lam or Bridge, we have potential there to shape them into what we need. Bridge could easily become a Dagg like player, a great utility winger but a bunch of speed to boot. Lam is a great finisher, so maybe with Iaone there we don't need Lam? Seems to be the AB set up usually.

Would be nice to start Mo'unga and give him a chance to settle in properly. But then, what do i know?

Meanwhile Bridge and Lam sit at home watching it on the tele having a beer.

Yea, I do t understand why he didn't bring atleast one of them along for the tour. Plenty of opportunity to test them out. I don't like this duel full back role/2 play maker thing they are going for with Dmac at 15 and Jordie on the wing. Is it a case of seeing Barret and being seduced by having 3 brothers on the field? I would drop Jordie unfortunately, I do t think he brings anything more to the position than what we already have. With Lam or Bridge, we have potential there to shape them into what we need. Bridge could easily become a Dagg like player, a great utility winger but a bunch of speed to boot. Lam is a great finisher, so maybe with Iaone there we don't need Lam? Seems to be the AB set up usually.

Would be nice to start Mo'unga and give him a chance to settle in properly. But then, what do i know?

1. Ofa Tuungafasi (25)
2. Dane Coles (59)
3. Nepo Laulala (16)
4. Patrick Tuipulotu (20)
5. Scott Barrett (28)
6. Vaea Fifita (8)
7. Ardie Savea (34)
8. Kieran Read – captain (117)
9. TJ Perenara (54)
10. Beauden Barrett (72)
11. Waisake Naholo (25)
12. Ngani Laumape (9)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (32)
14. Jordie Barrett (8)
15. Damian McKenzie (22)

16. Nathan Harris (19)
17. Karl Tu'inukuafe (12)
18. Angus Ta'avao (1)
19. Brodie Retallick (74)
20. Dalton Papalii (1)
21. Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (2)
22. Richie Mo'unga (8)
23. Rieko Ioane (23)

Barrett still starting and jordie is a wing option now? i really thought we'd see mo'unga at 10 and beauden at 15, just to see how that would work. BB has to fire, he has "his" halfback inside him and against a 'weaker" opposition

glad to see laumape get a run, he might have the "go forward' our midfield has been lacking

Hansen said he some issues to fix. He don't even realized he has to fix himself and ABs Management must intervene. These are the matches to give Mo'unga a chance. No they wont. The midfield area is suffering because they insist to play SBW even he is not up scratch. Now they are struggling. I recalled there was a season ABs brought along a player for a tour and he did not played any all.

Hansen said he some issues to fix. He don't even realized he has to fix himself and ABs Management must intervene. These are the matches to give Mo'unga a chance. No they wont. The midfield area is suffering because they insist to play SBW even he is not up scratch. Now they are struggling. I recalled there was a season ABs brought along a player for a tour and he did not played any all.
SBW isn't playing. He didn't play in the loss to Ireland either. Don't be too hung on SBW.

I didn't actually click Jordie was at 14 and naholo was at 11, I know naholo has played 11 but his most common side is 14....is our model so fragile our second fullback can only be 14?
We're already playing Jordie in a new position but it couldn't be the left wing?

DMac and Jordie Barrett two tries apiece....and now I suppose that Shag will tell us all that we were so wrong, as his BB-DMac dual play-maker combo has done wonders for the team :).

Great first half for Fifita, amazing line break near the end. Laumape also seems to have a good one, I just love his explosiveness.

This test means nothing or the performances.

We know we're good on the front foot, the Lions series and the English and Irish tests were the telling tests. Weaknesses exposed and exploited and strengths well and truly muted.

3pts conceded against Italy not really good enough. 100pts against 0 would have been par.

3pts conceded against Italy not really good enough. 100pts against 0 would have been par.

we wanna go out and be tough guys after our loss vs Ireland?

little too late I reckon

at least we go into the next RWC as some what underdogs and hurting, should give us some ammo, because we are not firing properly with these selections and mindset

Not tough. Just realistic. At least it wasn't a try conceded. That would have been unacceptable.

As for Ireland. Look at their performance against USA right now. I think it's safe to say they'll be no threat come RWC.

So on the day a second string Benetton almost win in South Africa, this embarrassment is all that the national side could offer.

The coach is untouchable because he is doing a great job as Director of Rugby. A bit of a pickle and no mistake.

I'd be so impressed with CoS as a human being if he stood aside and appointed one of the Pro14 coaches as national coach.

So on the day a second string Benetton almost win in South Africa, this embarrassment is all that the national side could offer.

The coach is untouchable because he is doing a great job as Director of Rugby. A bit of a pickle and no mistake.

I'd be so impressed with CoS as a human being if he stood aside and appointed one of the Pro14 coaches as national coach.

I get the frustration but any subsequent appointment at this point would serve to undermine COS... which is the last thing you should be doing. With the other results this Autumn we can see the 'North' has gained a genuine level of parity with the South. Italy have moved forward, you have just moved forward comparatively to Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. The 'North' (for the time being or not) as a whole has improved and NZ were always going to 'turn up' today after last weekend.

With the development level at u20 and the HUGE improvement over the two Italian PRO14 sides (watched a lot of both this season and they are both serious rugby teams)... Conor is definitely doing it the right way. No quick fixes and waiting for long term improvements to pay dividends. The worst thing Italy could do now is to undermine any of that. You will come good... and I reckon it could come sooner than you think.

Last edited:
I get the frustration but any subsequent appointment at this point would serve to undermine COS... which is the last thing you should be doing. With the other results this Autumn we can see the 'North' has gained a genuine level of parity with the South. Italy have moved forward, you have just moved forward comparatively to Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. The 'North' (for the time being or not) as a whole has improved and NZ were always going to 'turn up' today after last weekend.

With the development level at u20 and the HUGE improvement over the two Italian PRO14 sides (watched a lot of both this season and they are both serious rugby teams)... Conor is definitely doing it the right way. No quick fixes and waiting for long term improvements to pay dividends. The worst thing Italy could do now is to undermine any of that. You will come good... and I reckon it could come sooner than you think.
Yup. Knee jerk reactions with no regard for long term results are often a recipe for disaster.

Jordie Barrett at 14? Deary me Steve...

Why's he trying to play fullbacks on the wing?

Well four tries later, I guess you have an answer... of sorts

I don't mind him experimenting in this game. They were never going to lose, and its the last game of the season, so lets find out. Hansen & Co. are all about trying to be prepared for any eventuality. Remember, when we go to the RWC next year, replacing squad members will not be easy. If we have a run of injuries, it is nice to know that some of your cover ideas actually work. I guess having a 6ft 5in winger who jumps to catch a ball like an AFL player taking a high mark, can't be a bad thing.

I guess having a 6ft 5in winger who jumps to catch a ball like an AFL player taking a high mark, can't be a bad thing.
Kinda reminiscent of what Folau brings on the wing despite being so tall and massive. These players aren't gifted with oustanding top speed but they are evasive and they know how to hit a hole when they see one.

Well four tries later, I guess you have an answer... of sorts

I don't mind him experimenting in this game. They were never going to lose, and its the last game of the season, so lets find out. Hansen & Co. are all about trying to be prepared for any eventuality. Remember, when we go to the RWC next year, replacing squad members will not be easy. If we have a run of injuries, it is nice to know that some of your cover ideas actually work. I guess having a 6ft 5in winger who jumps to catch a ball like an AFL player taking a high mark, can't be a bad thing.

let's not forget it's Italy though

Honestly, I think this is counter productive to what we genuinely need vs the top teams and was probably the worst outcome for the teams health in the bigger picture having Jordie score 4 tries today - as strange as that is to say when someone scores 4 tries.

I thought it would be a lot closer. With O Shea being so tactically aware i expected better. Of course NZ played some special Rugby. Some of their tries though were so easy i think i would have defended my line a bit better.

let's not forget it's Italy though

Honestly, I think this is counter productive to what we genuinely need vs the top teams and was probably the worst outcome for the teams health in the bigger picture having Jordie score 4 tries today - as strange as that is to say when someone scores 4 tries.

Without wanting to denigrate Italy, I think your kirst line is correct. This is not a team on the same level or same style as Ireland, England, and Wales. We can bully them upfront and run rings in the back line. The top NH teams would never allow this.

I get why we played this game and we saw some experimenting, but still think this was a good chance to Mo'unga a good long stint in the drivers seat. Remembering that if we like the duel playmaker role, the playmakers have to adjust to that too. Not just play a standard #10 role. BB is probably an easier fit Into the duel set up as he is has a hybrid #10 style as opposed to a classic mo'unga Style. Good win and good to finish the season on a high. But still feels like we we're the school bully who got beaten up by the new kid in school, so we went and picked on the special Ed kid and beat the crap out of them. But maybe that's just me.

Latest posts