English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
RWC_Ref-Announcements_All_16x9.png

If England don't get to the final, and I don't expect them to, I hope Barnes gets to ref the final. Would be even better if NZ get there. 😝

One change they'll be working to is the bunker rule where a yellow can be upgraded to a red following TMO review while a player is in the bin. I don't think that's a bad thing provided the decision is communicated well to all taking part and watching.

One change they'll be working to is the bunker rule where a yellow can be upgraded to a red following TMO review while a player is in the bin. I don't think that's a bad thing provided the decision is communicated well to all taking part and watching.
That's an interesting one, so in summary provided the player is in the bin, the decision no longer relies soley with the on field ref.

Not too sure how often this would be used in reality, probably only if new footage became available.

That's an interesting one, so in summary provided the player is in the bin, the decision no longer relies soley with the on field ref.

Not too sure how often this would be used in reality, probably only if new footage became available.
I believe it's been trialled down under. Not sure exactly how it's worked in practice, I guess the ref remains the ultimate arbiter, but it gives the TMO a longer window to look more closely and view other footage as you say.

While mainly a should it be red or yellow thing, it would be interesting if the conclusion is that no card should actually have been issued. Would the player be recalled immediately?

It's been trialled in Aus(?) and was quite popular, and that despite including that any red card could see the player replaced after 20 minutes.

It's currently being trialled at the U20s championship; and seemed to work well.
What it does, is mean that the ref only needs to see that it's clearly cardable, but not horrendous; so saves us all 5 minutes of trying to find the right angle. The rest of us can get on with the game, and the TMO can look at all the angles, is more likely to overcome an obstinate TV director, and isn't going to have crowd influence, or 2 different people just seeing different things.
So far, I like it.

It's been trialled in Aus(?) and was quite popular, and that despite including that any red card could see the player replaced after 20 minutes.

It's currently being trialled at the U20s championship; and seemed to work well.
What it does, is mean that the ref only needs to see that it's clearly cardable, but not horrendous; so saves us all 5 minutes of trying to find the right angle. The rest of us can get on with the game, and the TMO can look at all the angles, is more likely to overcome an obstinate TV director, and isn't going to have crowd influence, or 2 different people just seeing different things.
So far, I like it.
The only drawback is if the TMO upgrades a card will we see the full reasoning behind the decision, and can the TMO still monitor the game in real time whilst diverting his attention to previous play?

Thank God that Georgian ref isn't going to be at the world cup

Ben O'Keefe reffing SA v Ire, and Nic Berry reffing Scot v Ireland. Can't say I'm thrilled about either appointment and I had hoped for a NH ref for the SA game.

O'Keeffe isn't great but we've experience with him. Berry suits us v Scotland I reckon, will let a lot go at the breakdown for us to generate quick ball.

Last edited:
I like Angus Gardner as a referee, but I don't think he necessarily would have been Scotland's preference against the Springboks. SA have always done well when AG has refereed them. The Boks will be happy with the refs they've got IMO.

Raynal and Amashukeli for our first two games…. Not delirious but not fuming either. I'm surprised that Amashukeli has got the Japan game, would have probably expected a more experienced official for that one.

Wayne Barnes for Australia/Wales - probably one of the worst refs the Aussies could have got with their poor disciplinary record in recent times.

Peyper for France/NZ - not convinced about that appointment at all.

Will be interesting to see who gets the QFs. At the moment I would only put Barnes as a certainly to get one.