• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Worse place to watch a game than Mulligan's even if they aren't rugby men!! (I think I'm right, too many Kevins about)

If ye want the football or hurling you've no safer place to head.

F**k - just realised how long its been since a squad of us headed up to Lyon to watch Celtic in the champions league in the back of Mark's old batmobile! 2003. I'm officially ancient. :ph34r:

Just on D Ryan contract. Alot of interesting dirty laundry being fired and Ulster are good at airing grievances.

Few interesting FACTs.
1. We've heard alot about Munster being bailed out but it has now came to light this isn't as clear. Munster and Ulster bring in alot more merchandise gear than Leinster. I find that hard to believe but figures were presented at an IRFU meeting.

2. Leinster get approx â'¬2.7m in wages paid by IRFU annually. Munster get â'¬1.05m and Ulster â'¬1.1m
Now this is due to Leinster having alot more central deals. And this excludes top ups on Sexton and Heaslip deals. And this isn't me say Leinster getting preferential treatment. I think 1 or 2 there don't deserve CC but otherwise point is more people saying about bailout is actually scarily wrong that I didn't even see.

On NIQ wages up to Jan 2017 from Aug 2015 its reported Munster Leinster and Ulster all spending in same region on wages.

Now my view is (Shane Logans views too) Leinster say Munster get bailed out (he said other clubs) but Leinster got much more investment in early 00s than anyone else. Reckons the CCs are more valuable than any bail out too. He has point on basis of you look at difference per annum is a bit. Multiply that by 3 years or so.
On CCs he want it to be restructured too. Not by province but just in a better way overall.

On Donnacha Ryan situation. I've cooled away from it and thijk if he goes then best of luck but efforts should be made to keep him. I think it'll weaken Ireland as we don't have depth and defeats purpose in a way by Munster having being told we can sign another NIQ lock.
Munster I believe won't suffer as much and like other before I still believe if Ryan goes he should be excluded from Ireland like Madigan and Moore.

Last edited:
Central contracts are for the benefit of the country, Leinster have the best academy, provide the most internationals and are rewarded for it, the funding in the early 00's built this, good move IRFU. They rent their stadium and avoid spending millions to expand or build one knowing they can only fill it a select few days a year so didn't need bailed out.

The IRFU has many a time forced Leinster to let go of players who wanted to stay, they aren't forcing Ryan out of Munster but won't match an inflated fee either for a guy who was fourth choice in January, has a ropey injury profile and is 33. Heaslip's contract gets thrown into it two, compare the careers, not the age.

Do you believe we should share central contracts evenly forcing even more Leinster players to other provinces? Do we punish the side that consistently play the most Irish players of any province so Munster and Ulster can be appeased? What you're saying is true but doesn't scream bias by any means, 10 years ago had the system been in place Munster would have got the majority of central contracts.

Central contracts are for the benefit of the country, Leinster have the best academy, provide the most internationals and are rewarded for it, the funding in the early 00's built this, good move IRFU. They rent their stadium and avoid spending millions to expand or build one knowing they can only fill it a select few days a year so didn't need bailed out.

The IRFU has many a time forced Leinster to let go of players who wanted to stay, they aren't forcing Ryan out of Munster but won't match an inflated fee either for a guy who was fourth choice in January, has a ropey injury profile and is 33. Heaslip's contract gets thrown into it two, compare the careers, not the age.

Do you believe we should share central contracts evenly forcing even more Leinster players to other provinces? Do we punish the side that consistently play the most Irish players of any province so Munster and Ulster can be appeased? What you're saying is true but doesn't scream bias by any means, 10 years ago had the system been in place Munster would have got the majority of central contracts.

yuhp

I'm just stating facts Alpha. Not debating or denying. Fact is though it shaves alot off Leinster wage bill. And IRFU pay RDS rent. Again you may not agree but it's all financial aid. I'd argue Healy isn't worth his CC or Kearney and to an extent Heaslip. You'd probably disagree but that's different argument for different day.

On Ryan contract I never mentioned paying over top for him just he will be a loss if he goes.

On end no I don't believe it should be evenly based out. More my point is Leinster fans say x y and z about others getting financial help but really in a way you could argue they get just as much aid. And in few years if we pay Thomond off and Leinster continue getting rent paid I equally don't say it. Fact is it makes more sense. Leinster can't afford to build in Dublin or find suitable site.

Just on 1 thing you said. They aren't forcing Ryan out. Wheather we agree or not. They are in a way as they aren't offering him a contract. Only deal on table is Munster for the max they can go. But IRFU have said he can go effectively. Not saying they're right or wrong. I don't know which Leinster players were forced out but I'm sure if they were IQ and starters they weren't forced out but I'm open to correction there. NIQs are obviously a different issue so can't be compared

Last edited:
From today's Sunday Times, Donnacha Ryan wanted to sign for Leinster last season. Didn't want to begin negotiations with the IRFU last November (which Jamie Heaslip did) and was having 2/3 of his proposed new Munster contract paid directly by the IRFU.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Also says that Rassie Erasmus met with the new CEO of the SARU in Dublin during the 6 Nations.

Attachments

• RyanStimes.jpg
    RyanStimes.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 4
From today's Sunday Times, Donnacha Ryan wanted to sign for Leinster last season. Didn't want to begin negotiations with the IRFU last November (which Jamie Heaslip did) and was having 2/3 of his proposed new Munster contract paid directly by the IRFU.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Also says that Rassie Erasmus met with the new CEO of the SARU in Dublin during the 6 Nations.

Can 100% say the Donnacha Ryan bit is false. He was only linked to Leinster as his other half is working up there but he never wanted to go there. Think Times simply just looking for a story on this to keep it going. On his contract it's 100% false too. Munster can offer â'¬200k max. He has openly stated he wants to stay but wants his old deal kept going which is â'¬280k. IRFU have stated he's not getting a CC. Munster have offered a 2 year deal. IRFU have not offered any deal. That is the facts. Not a slam at IRFU as they decide which route to go down. Fair enough but how bad the Times are reporting is awful here.
D. Ryan has never wished to leave Munster but wants to be on money he feels he is worth. Now some will agree with IRFU some will side other way. But he never wanted to join Leinster or any other province or leave.

On Rassie that is true. He doesn't deny and rumour is he will go now and Jacques will stay with us.

Last edited:
Murray Kinsella also reported that Donnacha Ryan tried to get a release from his Munster contract last year.

To be honest, I couldn't care about that since the only fact that matters is that Ryan is gone at the end of the season. Thought it was interesting reading nonetheless about the contract negotiations. I'd trust Peter O'Reilly's reporting more than any other Irish rugby journalist.

Erasmus leaving would be a huge blow. Who'd step up? Inside or outside candidate?

If he wants to manage his home country I think I will respect him. He's not aftwr money but bettering his home and his roots
I understand that but I won't respect it if he leaves one year into a three year contract and just used this team to leverage himself a better situation in SA. If you sign a three year contract you should intend fulfill it. He knew full well that SA would want him back ASAP and denied interest multiple times in the past, until the terms suited him. It's like Coach Taylor at the end of Friday Nights season 1 (fairytale ending included) except less cool.
On who would replace him, I'd like an outside hire unless they think Nienebar is up to the task (people in Munster cite him as one of the most intelligent coaches they've ever seen), but as we saw with Connacht, getting an outside hire isn't easy these days.

Basically point on Ryan was he wasn't looking to leave and I know that for fact.

On Rassie he wasn't using Munster and leverage was straight up and thats why clause was put in

I understand that but I won't respect it if he leaves one year into a three year contract and just used this team to leverage himself a better situation in SA. If you sign a three year contract you should intend fulfill it.
I see your point but disagree. I can't begrudge anyone accepting a job with their national team. How would this be different from, say, Declan Kidney moving from Munster to Ireland (twice), Matt Williams moving from Leinster to Scotland or Joe Schmidt from Leinster to Ireland?

It would be incredibly disappointing for Munster and Irish rugby were he to move but should he leave, the province is in a much better position than when he took over. From struggling to get into the Champions Cup places and missing the Pro 12 semi finals to having a real chance of winning both competitions in less than 12 months. Lots of young players getting an opportunity and grasping it with both hands. A British & Irish Cup final appearance which'll give more young players an opportunity. He's done a superb job and I'm sure he'd be welcomed back.

Mightn't be the worst shout to call Rob Penney as a potential new head coach should the position arise. There were issues last time surrounding his departure but Munster's style has evolved to one closer to that which Penney tried to implement (and Connacht won the Pro 12 ***le with). He's a superb coach who was harshly treated by the media last time out. Given Munster's age profile, it wouldn't be a rebuilding job rather a continuation of Erasmus' stellar work. He brought an ageing team to the European semi finals twice. What could he do with a team yet to enter their prime?

Thing with Penney though Snoop is there is a difference in areas on style. Could we marry the 2? Maybe. He does have solid rappirt with all players and we need a forwards based coach.