• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Yes. Crimea is a mess because on one hand it seems Kruschev just arbitrarily moved it from Russia to Ukraine at a time it had a Russian majority population, but on the other hand he (and his successors) reportedly parachuted in lots of Russians to settle in Crimea (and in Baltic states) to make the USSR more secure. Plus the destruction of some 1500+ nukes by Ukraine at the fall of the USSR was conditional on Russia recognising Ukrainian boundaries as per the Budapest memorandum signed by Russia. So on balance, I think Russia should have at the very least offered 1,500 nukes from its collection to Ukraine in return for reclaiming Crimea. :p

But yes, not a clear one. Neither is Abkhazia, that definitely also had two sides to the coin as the Georgian leader at the time lacked any sort of wisdom and an EU report even concluded Georgia contributed to the conflict.

Donbas I consider a travesty I cannot justify and if anything further happens in Bosnia to try and destroy its existence that would also be hard to justify compared to making efforts to get along. Conflict destroys lives and economies and having military outposts and a large military costs a fortune that can be spent on your people to improve their lives. The reasons we fight now globally are every bit as trivial and idiotic as they were in the 19th and early 20th century.

Hopefully peace will win out under our new Orangutan overlords.

I agree with you, surprisingly :D although I have a couple of acquaintances from Donetsk and even they have opposite views on what's going on..but Russia shouldn't have put its' hands there,nor in Crimea, that's my opinion. I understand geopolitical reasons,but that was morally wrong.. I'm glad for Crimeans though, they have a better "quality of life" now and I can understand them.
What do you think about Belarusian situation and about what's going on in Kazakhstan?

I agree with you, surprisingly :D although I have a couple of acquaintances from Donetsk and even they have opposite views on what's going on..but Russia shouldn't have put its' hands there,nor in Crimea, that's my opinion. I understand geopolitical reasons,but that was morally wrong.. I'm glad for Crimeans though, they have a better "quality of life" now and I can understand them.
What do you think about Belarusian situation and about what's going on in Kazakhstan?
Kazakhstan I frankly don't know enough about. I note there is a suggestion it may be a power struggle within the ruling elite and this appears to possibly be confirmed by the recent arrest of former government minister, although that could be potentially just opportunism by the government to persecute opponents in the current climate.

With coup attempts, (unless by religious extremists), if it is against a dictatorship I will always favour those leading the coup. If indeed that is what this is rather than a spontaneous uprising by desperately poor people protesting over fuel costs. I've no idea if foreign actors would be involved in Kazahkstan, of the three likely agitators (US, Turkey and China) I think none have any incentive or much ability to be involved in this. I'm not thrilled by the Russian government propping up a dictatorship with military support, but most western powers have done similar in the 20th century, including the UK. I'd also say I'm not bothered particularly by Russian involvement in Armenia / Azerbaijan (matched by Turkish involvement).

Belarus I think is more clearcut as 'a bad thing'. There is every reason to think Lukashenko was going to lose power in a democratic election after imprisoning his rival. I think it unlikely that the EU or US had any hand in supporting the opposition. The problem with an undemocratic leader is that in their efforts to hold on to power they will happily turn a nation completely into rubble rather than negotiate a peaceful departure (e.g. Assad in Syria and Lukashenko here). You can have medium term stability under a dictator, but it always stands a chance of ending in tears. That is why I think it is sensible for people who have the chance to leave a country where the rule of law is not so strong, to go to a country where it is in place (e.g. why I'd advise anyone who can leave Hong Kong to do so, before the window of opportunity potentially closes forever). Even in countries whose politics I dislike, as long as they have an independent judiciary and fair elections there should be a limit on how bad life can get. Under a dictator, (or dare I say a four term president :O), there is no limit at all on how bad life may become.

Although Lukashenko doesn't appear to have needed Russian assistance i strongly suspect Putin perhaps gave advice to Lukashenko to try and create a migrant crisis for the EU having seen how well this destabilised the EU with the Syrian migrant crisis (which I don't blame Putin). But that is impossible to evidence, so is just a theory. I'd imagine Polish media would agree with this though?

To be honest I am not so emotional about Belarus and Kazakhstan. People there were born into a doomed country and will die in a doomed country. They will have known their fate from childhood. Whereas Ukraine, Bosnia and in particular Serbia could become perfectly normal countries filled with ordinary folk living peaceful, normal lives under the rule of law if they had sensible leadership and/or no outside interference in their decision making. Like most of Eastern Europe is (just about) managing. Maybe it shouldn't, but it is the killing of hope that makes a situation more tragic to me.

Below is one of my favourite books recommended to me by a old Serbian acquaintance. Sadly it still fits Serbia very well I fear. Much of the country cares more about whether a tennis ball gets hit in Australia than they do about whether their children will have a future or if their parents will be cared for in their old age.

Press going to town on latest party revelation. Tories all taking the wait for Sue Gray line.

The clear premeditation and Bojo's, allegedly witnessed, attendance make this one feel like it might have some proper consequences.

Press going to town on latest party revelation. Tories all taking the wait for Sue Gray line.

The clear premeditation and Bojo's, allegedly witnessed, attendance make this one feel like it might have some proper consequences.
The timing of said party is also key it was in the middle of don't do anything lockdown.

Given that lying is against parliamentary standards - I propose that any MP referring to BJ (quite honestly, any cabinet minister) as "right honourable" should be investigated for breaching standards.
They'd all be guilty as hell.

I normally avoid social media but at times like this it comes out with some great stuff. Here's one from David Schneider….

Boris Johnson was "furious" at people laughing about a party that "didn't happen" so imagine how incandescent he'll be about a party that did happen and was probably attended by Boris Johnson.

No idea whether it's true or not but have also seen tweets saying that Sue Gray was invited to some of the parties she's now investigating……

They should start looking at pressing the "misleading parliament" side of things as they must have led in parliament sky this at least once.

The MET know who goes in and out of No. 10 and were likely complicit. There is no way they can find Johnson and the Tories did this without essentially admitting their own part in it. I think that, once again, it will seem that "magically" no rules have been broken, just as with every single case of the Tories breaking the rules.

Macron on 'fake news'

Personally I think the solution is:

i) Any social media outlet is responsible for what is published on their site and has to abide by the same rules and regulations as newspapers.

ii) anything posted publically on the internet by a private individual should be treated in the same manner as if it was a letter that was physically posted or a poster stuck on a wall. End this 'if we moderate it, its not a crime'

iii) get rid of anonymity on the internet and stupid fake pseudonyms (like fake Georgian names). We should all have to log on to the internet with our real names and country of origin to remove the sense that we can all say what the hell we want without consequence.

I'm not sure any of the above will ever be implemented and banning foreign ownership of the press (like Macron mentions here, and Poland has already implemented I believe) is not going to address the more fundamental issues that are making this the most enthralling period of collective mania since the 1930s.

Someone trying to stay as far away as Westminster as possible today.

The MET know who goes in and out of No. 10 and were likely complicit. There is no way they can find Johnson and the Tories did this without essentially admitting their own part in it. I think that, once again, it will seem that "magically" no rules have been broken, just as with every single case of the Tories breaking the rules.

Definitely complicit.

Latest posts