• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Had another email from the department of Transport today laying out plans for any disruption at the ports. Quite comprehensive to be fair. They have been keeping everyone updated with what to do etc. Most people now have permits to be used in the case of no deal so most of the ports should be ok even with the current and ongoing problems at Felixstowe

This is contradictory to the interview I heard with the main haulage firm based at Dover, the heads of the ports in Northern Ireland and the guidance provided by HMRC to customers.

What was the general gist of the email?

This is contradictory to the interview I heard with the main haulage firm based at Dover, the heads of the ports in Northern Ireland and the guidance provided by HMRC to customers.

Panic

Which haulage firm was it?

If the ports become congested there are set routes etc you need to follow, also most firms have the permits which allow movement regardless of political outcome.

One thing was made clear if you didn't follow the procedure you would be hit with a £300 fine so you had to ensure you knew what to do in the case of congestion.

That being said Felixstowe is a mess. Was offered some work there but turned it down. It's a bit of a pariah at the minute in transport terms

Which haulage firm was it?

If the ports become congested there are set routes etc you need to follow, also most firms have the permits which allow movement regardless of political outcome.

One thing was made clear if you didn't follow the procedure you would be hit with a £300 fine so you had to ensure you knew what to do in the case of congestion.

That being said Felixstowe is a mess. Was offered some work there but turned it down. It's a bit of a pariah at the minute in transport terms

John Shirley Ltd who deal with Europe mostly.

He focused on the cost to the customer and the added time for deliveries and checks having a detriment to businesses

Last edited:
While this is hilarious, it is scary how similar Donald Trump Jr is to his dad. He's definitely learnt how to spout BS.

Its really squeaky bum time but the UK have publically admitting to conceding something that was always negotiating tactic. First bit of good news in days

I know it's gonna have a massive effect on the UK, but totally disinterested in what's happening in these Brexit negotiations. Wasn't for Brexit to begin with and last 4 years have just made me more and more disenfranchised from it. Whatever Horlicks they negotiate we'll have to live with in the name of sovereignty.

Thank **** for that, I always thought this would be the case and an 11th hour deal (which we don't have yet) but its been doing my nerves some work.

How will that go down with the Unionists?
Weren't they very opposed to the idea of NI operating under different terms to the rest of the UK?

Thank **** for that!
The first indication that this government doesn't actively want tomcommit national suicide (even if it does indicate that disuniting the nation is a viable option)

Weren't they very opposed to the idea of NI operating under different terms to the rest of the UK?
The DUP were but they're so disconnected from their electorate on most major issues these days. Fear of nationalism is the only thing keeping them alive.

Does anyone, especially in Westminster actually care? Johnson went in dry and then snuck out the bathroom window while the DUP were sleeping. They're so incompetent I'm starting to think they're republican sleeper agents.

Yeap but the DUP have absolutely no power within Westminster now due to the Conservatives majority.

I for one find it absolutely hilarious that they have been shafted so badly by the British government.

What this means for a Brexit I still don't quite understand. Some commentators say it's paving the way for a light deal to be made, but also Northern Ireland was the last stumbling block for the UK to leave on No Deal terms.

I meant more in terms of the general public rather than politicians - the last thing anyone wants is an uptick in violence from nutjobs due to perceived slights

I meant more in terms of the general public rather than politicians - the last thing anyone wants is an uptick in violence from nutjobs due to perceived slights

The general unionist public will be up in arms, but there is nothing which can be done and probably many won't understand the full implications but see a potential result with less food being available or a reduction in choice.

The last big riots I remember here was when the Union Flag was democratically removed from City Hall. That was an actual thing they could point at, whereas it would be hard to equate such a thing with a technical border down the Irish Sea.

The loyalist paramilitaries are too busy being a criminal organisation than anything else, though I would imagine Border Force and Customs staff could be seen as implementing this border and could become targets, especially as their uniforms are very similar to police uniforms from a distance.

Fisheries is going to be key here. If the EU don't get access to UK waters you could an independent Scotland getting in the EU via a back door if they give the EU its fishing rights.

Latest posts