• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Thanks for the response as always dude. I'll give this the response it deserves later, if I'm not to tired from work.

I turn 40 next week so I'm an old man.

No worries at all. I find the conversation exhausting on its own nevermind fitting it around work which has been unusually quiet for me so far this week.

Ireland, Norway and Spain all recognise Palestine as a state as of today. Israel have recalled their ambassadors in response.

I think Palestinian support for what Hamas on Oct 7th has grown. Some as high as 3 in every for 4 people. It's probably as high for people in Israel and what they are doing.

I would tend to take this with a bag of salt. There's a massive propaganda war going on. I'm sure Hamas will have denied raping women or murdering children and will have fed all sorts of nonsense to the Palestinian people. Same goes for Israel who will be denying all sorts.

People are going to believe what they are fed by their leaders and local media. The October 7th attacks were horrific and rightly got a lot of air time in the west - I saw plenty of emotional interviews with victims' family members and world leaders going to visit Israel and offer their support. The suffering Palestinians have experienced doesn't nearly get the same air time here in the west. There are probably a few reasons for this - some of which will be politically motivated. None of us really have a full picture of what has gone on - hopefully in time it will become more clear with the right people being held to account.

Brits were told that leaving the EU would mean an extra £350m per week for the NHS lol. Bottom line - politicians lie and cheat their way into gaining/retaining power - even here in the west where we're told western values are the bee's knees.

7 October was terrible but Israel knew about it for over a year before it happened and were warned by Egypt days before. They chose not to defend themselves then but are "defending themselves" now by destroying Palestine and killing tens of thousands of innocent people. They sacrificed their own to do this.

Hamas living and hiding in civilian communities is not an excuse to bomb the shot out of them. The British army purposefully killed civilians in NI on a scale dwarfed by what Israel are currently doing and are rightfully vilified for it.
There was definitely a failing in the interpretation on the intelligence.

Bombing combatants in civilian areas is tricky based on the definition of combatants, people who's actions directly support the war machine etc. Bit like this situation now people stilli argue about Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima etc. To some they were, and some it's not and people interpretate laws. I genuinely don't know who's right.
I would tend to take this with a bag of salt. There's a massive propaganda war going on. I'm sure Hamas will have denied raping women or murdering children and will have fed all sorts of nonsense to the Palestinian people. Same goes for Israel who will be denying all sorts.

People are going to believe what they are fed by their leaders and local media. The October 7th attacks were horrific and rightly got a lot of air time in the west - I saw plenty of emotional interviews with victims' family members and world leaders going to visit Israel and offer their support. The suffering Palestinians have experienced doesn't nearly get the same air time here in the west. There are probably a few reasons for this - some of which will be politically motivated. None of us really have a full picture of what has gone on - hopefully in time it will become more clear with the right people being held to account.

Brits were told that leaving the EU would mean an extra £350m per week for the NHS lol. Bottom line - politicians lie and cheat their way into gaining/retaining power - even here in the west where we're told western values are the bee's knees.
I think the figures are based on a poll conducted by The Palestinian Center for Policy Survey and Research. Who as far as i can tell are based in Palestine. Like all surveys, sample size etc makes a difference also they could be telling Hamas what they want to hear.

I don't agree that the plight and suffering of the Palestinians has not been as widely reported. All three of the BBC, ITV and Sky have been pretty unbiased and balanced in there reporting. Lots of reporting of Biden US views the ICC etc The print media is a different story aligned more to the audience, political opinions etc. More coverage in the Guardian vs Telegraph for example. Also some gets lost in the noise with events like The Post Office, Ukraine, Blood scandal

Last edited:
Rumour's very swelling on imminent General Election or reshuffle.

Would suggest todays inflation figures are the trigger and its unlikely to a better state that right now.

Cameron coming home hours earlier to attend cabinet and Shapps has cut a trip entirely. So definitely screams something is up.

Rumour's very swelling on imminent General Election or reshuffle.

Would suggest todays inflation figures are the trigger and its unlikely to a better state that right now.

Cameron coming home hours earlier to attend cabinet and Shapps has cut a trip entirely. So definitely screams something is up.
My moneys on reshuffle in prep for GE.

I would argue it's the other way round, especially over the last 4 or 5 months. The news almost exclusively focuses on Palestinian casualties and their plight, which they should, but I do think it's disproportionate. I accept this may well be my own mistake but the only media I consume is mainstream media really.

I would argue it's the other way round, especially over the last 4 or 5 months. The news almost exclusively focuses on Palestinian casualties and their plight, which they should, but I do think it's disproportionate. I accept this may well be my own mistake but the only media I consume is mainstream media really.

Agree there has been coverage but I don't recall seeing emotional media conferences with Palestinian victims families where we got to know their names and their story. The news coverage and video footage I have seen is more brief and statistic based when you consider the number of people killed. Also, casualties since October 7th have almost all been Palestinian (barring hostages who were subsequently killed) and so there is an obvious correlation there. Maybe I'm watching the wrong news channels!

Would a reshuffle help at all?

I'm not saying these idiots won't do it just can't see the upside.
I don't think they have a snow flakes chance in hell no matter what they do. Part of my still thinks they would bring back Borris if they thought it could win.

Should add this is the first time the BBC have put up a live feed on it.

We could be entering Gordon Brown, chicken if he doesn't call it state.

Hunt now pulled out of Peston's show tonight to talk inflation figures.

Latest posts