• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after months of frittering away valuable negotiating time so the Tories can mess about with another election, we have decided our best course of action is to make the same offer now as we have done at the start and proudly claim how we will not compromise...

To think there are people in this country that think the EU are being the stubborn ones when we have been the ones presenting nothing but ultimatums right from day 1.

Looks like the cynics were right about Colin Kaepernick's protest. He's going to make more money off social justice than he was going to as a backup QB for a handful of years. Just moving from one big business (sports) to another ("civil rights"). Nike's paying him big bucks and making him the centerpiece of a new ad campaign. I'm sure his social justice beliefs will extend to him making the same amount of money as the 3rd world children sewing the shoes. He's definitely the type who's not just into virtue signaling for easy status. He's the real deal.

Colin%20Kaepernick%20Nike%20ad.jpg_12599792_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Nike celebrates other enemies of America.
kamikaze.png

matta.png

hitler2.png

Did you burn all your Nike gear like the other dolts?
I'm not one for boycotts generally, but I haven't liked Nike since I was a kid. And I don't like the way their NFL jersey's fit, so I've only bought one since they started making those a handful of years back. That one jersey is the only Nike gear I've owned since I was 10 or 11.

Bring back British Knights!

Edit: British Knights was an American company? My childhood has been rocked.

If American soldiers did what the kamikaze's did could you imagine how hard the MAGAts would jerk off to them?

In actuality, I'd assume conservative Americans would think hopeless suicide missions are a waste of good lives who will be valuable to society in the future. Nobody would celebrate that. What an odd opinion to have.

You'll want to check out Congressman Billy Long's tie when they finally show him.

Alex Jones made a few appearances on Capitol Hill today. Of note he asked Marco Rubio about bathhouses and then told a bunch of middle aged pro-abortion protesters that they are lonely with no kids and no husbands.

Wish Boris had stuck to hosting HIGNFY.

Becoming the loosest of cannons. Dangerously so, with public support and a newspaper column..

Could easily take down the government, let alone May and cause Tory divisions that will last for years.

He is a born leader, I mean he's only been told that his whole privileged life and is just stroppy because he hasn't obtained his birthright yet. The country and it's people are just his play thing as far as he's concerned, same with Rees-smug

Don't wanna highjack the thread but since this is political i thought i'd drop it here.
In case you haven't seen it there was an incident during the US open's female final. Here's a take but there are plenty others

So Serena plays the sexist card (surprised the racist one didn't get used), some people agree some don't. She got to play the mom card too, which i personally thought it was pathetic and useless given what she was trying to achieve, but hey, her decision.
And then an aussie cartoonist draws this and the **** hits the fan.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmtUvwfU0AAgMYg.jpg

People start calling him racist non stop for basically 3 things (in order)
1) the way he depicts Serena
2) The fact Osaka appears to be a white blond skinny girl
3) The fact that Ramos appears to be white

It's not just one or two loonies, but pretty much everyone oyutside australia is unanimously is calling him a racist. I don't consider myself a racist and would take offense if someone called me that. With that in mind, i can't help seeing

1) It's a charicature of an angry, black, bigger-and-stronger-than-average woman having a tantrum. How on earth is he supposed to do that (which i think he should have the right to do) and still not offend the pc brigade?
Charicatures are precisely about exagerating one's features. That's the entire bloody point.
2) I don't see her as white and she does have blond extensions so given the hair is up i can understand that depiction. Regarding the skinny, it's a bloddy charicature.
3) I dont see it either.
4) Would it be racist if the cartoon had been drawn by an african american

Am i losing my mind here for not seeing this?

The cartoon is 'complicated' and takes a little delving into. As requires a little bit more nuance that clickbaity ARGHH its so obviously racist,
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45479954

To cover two minor elements, Naomi Osaka is fine if you actually see she had blonde extensions (which I had to google to see hense don't jump on clickbait). Ramos less so as it does look nothing like him but considering the umpire in the cartoon from the caption is clearly not anything like Ramos was in game I'll give it a pass.
Onto Serena itself....umm yeah its complex the artist in particular has previous on this. The cartoon itself uses historically racist tropes (the fat red lips which Serena does not have is the biggest issue but being fat is another). On the other hand it is a caricature which means exaggerated features it part of the style.

As this could you have depicted Serena as a muscular woman (not fat) without the lips like that and still portrayed her a baby in caricature fashion....the answer is probably yes (if you had actual artistic talent).

My take take is yes its probably a bit racist (whether intended or not) should of it blown up the way it did, probably not....[/B]

Thanks for the honest answer
The cartoon itself uses historically racist tropes (the fat red lips which Serena does not have is the biggest issue but being fat is another). On the other hand it is a caricature which means exaggerated features it part of the style.
See, this is exactly what i don't see.
About the lips: I am not an expert on the matter i'm pretty sure black people have, on average, disproportionately larger lips. Assume for a second this is a fact (again, not my field). If this is a fact, would it be racist to exaggerate that feature?

Let me take it to the extreme to see it the argument holds. Green and blue eyes tend to be disproportionately a white feature. Using the same logic, anyone who enhances the blueness or the greeness of a white person's eyes would be a racist.
See what i mean? Applying the same principle to another case doesn't appear to pass a simple congruence/sanity test.

About her being fat: i don't see it. She doesn't look fat to me. I just took a look and the hips/waist are no clear.

Anyway, thanks again.

The lips thing has been used to ridicule black people through history, though - look at the black and white minstrels and just general caricatures in the early 20th century.
Jewish people tend to have larger noses but drawing a Jewish person with a massive hooked nose like Nazi propaganda isn't going to go down well.

In other news the USA has jumped the shark:
http://www.thejournal.ie/us-war-crimes-court-afghanistan-bolton-4229070-Sep2018/

On the lips I highlighted red for a reason, was she wearing lipstick? Are her lips red? The answer to both is no. So why has cartoonist done this? Because it encapsulates a style shorthand for black people. A style which most black people find racist.

Its historical context that always needs to be taken into consideration. As laymans I wouldn't expect any of us to be well versed in cartoon styles and this context. As a prominent cartoonist you would expect Knight to be so.

Argument along the line 'its the style' are nonsense you can't wipe the historical stuff and you shouldn't stop enjoying it if it had good is naive intent (I'm looking Asterix comic books here wich utterly employ the style for black people but I don't think malice was ever intened and they are of their time). However we shouldn't be creating new arts that continues to employ devices to deride people based on their natural appearance. Key thing here is natural appearance, not actions or choice of appearance.

To use your eye example context is important if you are accentuating the colour of someones eyes to show 'beauty' then its fine the issue becomes when you are using that to deride the person you've crossed the line.

@ Oly
I think i see what you mean but with that in mind, no one white, ever, can make a caricature of a black person without being accused of racism. Would that work the other way around?
Why is going back a legitimate argument for one and only one group? I dont see Thracians (greeks), Gauls (french), britons (uk) or goths (germans and polish) complaining about being slaves during the roman empire.

By world standards, Serena's upbringing was among the most privileged in the planet, yet you hear her speak and it's as if she's been the sole victim of discrimination her entire life. She brought bloody motherhood into the equation. Motherhood ffs.

Maybe it's the rugby fan in me, but can you imagine any rugby player telling Nigel or Jaco "i demand an apology. ..... i am still waiting for an apology..... don't talk to me" ?
Or richie mccaw telling wayne barnes: "sorry wayne, but i have to stand up to you on this. I'm a father now!".

Mental.

Speaking of mental, have you seen this?

https://twitter.com/syptweet/status/1038891067381350401

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts