• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

After just over a week, has your mind changed on who you think will win the Worl

Pool stages and knockout stages are like two different tournaments. Teams just need to get out of the pool stages, then when it gets to the quarters the tournament kind of resets itself and Then it's like a new tournament begins. So although certain teams haven't hit their stride yet, it doesn't change my mind as to who will eventually win.

But, after last night it does change my mind as to who will get to the final.

You could say the same about Australia holding back against NZ at Eden Park. Cheika trialed in that game by changing the winning line up especially the effective 'Pooper' combination, sacrificing the chance to win the Bledisloe. Maybe Cheika didn't want his Wallabies to win, maybe he wanted to make sure his team was well grounded heading to the World Cup. He also got a good look at ABs turning on their 'A' game. In saying all that, Cheika in similar fashion to Lancaster is tinkering with the line up in key positions during the world cup i.e. halfback, flyhalf. This could backfire on them big time as we saw in England's case.

From ABs perspective. They are searching for their best game. The ABs talk about 'edge', against Australia at Eden Park (and leading up) the 'edge' was evident. This comes from being under pressure to win, to perform. To some extent it's difficult to be mentally be on the 'edge' against weaker opposition because they and everyone else know they will win easily. I think come the knockout stages the ABs will relish the opportunity and we may see some clinical and/or gutsy performances.

Good points but the truth is that Cheika went for a powerplay. He wanted to keep the advantage of beating the All Blacks heading into the world cup so he played his B selections with his A guys on the bench. The only problem was that it completely backfired on Cheika and Australia and the All Blacks terminated Australia beyond any acceptable level heading into the world cup. Whatever advantage Cheika had got eaten up right then and there as Australia was exposed for not having any depth at all and the All Blacks truly just having a shocker the week prior.

There's just no way Australia will beat the All Blacks at this world cup, the only way Australia can win this if France knock the ABs out to avoid facing them. I truly believe the ABs would get a tougher game from Argentina currently than this Australia team.

Ireland is certainly over-hyped, put them in the quad nations with AB's, SA, Argentina and Aus and you see what their true standing is. A good team but not a great one.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet people call the English arrogant.

Only cause they rate themselves for winning plod all nothing. unlike the AB's who have a higher success rate at Twickers than England do !

- - - Updated - - -

The All Blacks are and have been for years in a class of their own,they have the best and brainiest player in the world (McCaw) who is so brilliant and can outwit any other player in the world and not only that somehow he can outwit the referees into letting him get away with countless infringements in the scrums it's amazing,and they have produces so many world class No10s it make one wonder where they have their production line.

It ridiculous how overhyped McCaw has become, most certainly a great warrior, but I dont think he is the best n07 in NZ yet alone best player in the word, just the most legendary.

I'm really thinking Ireland have a great chance now. I think in Schmidt we have the most astute coach in world rugby, we have a team who know they can achieve greatness that will never be matched in any sport in this country and they have one chance. I haven't seen a side that we can't beat if we turn up but in saying all this NZ are still my favorites. Two teams in this competition have won **** worth winning in the last two years, not counting this years phony RC, and I think they'll make up the final NZ V Ireland with the Aussies looking like the only side capable of stopping this.

I'm really thinking Ireland have a great chance now. I think in Schmidt we have the most astute coach in world rugby, we have a team who know they can achieve greatness that will never be matched in any sport in this country and they have one chance. I haven't seen a side that we can't beat if we turn up but in saying all this NZ are still my favorites. Two teams in this competition have won **** worth winning in the last two years, not counting this years phony RC, and I think they'll make up the final NZ V Ireland with the Aussies looking like the only side capable of stopping this.

Australia have only produced good results in Australia, for a long time now.

I have never known who is going to win this World Cup, the teams seem fairly evenly matched to me, all the top teams could beat the other on the day.

I guess the default option is New Zealand, but they've only won it twice in 7 attempts despite being favorites every time and the two wins they did manage were at home, and one of those was by a single point and owing something to a questionable refereeing so nothing's clear-cut for me. I'll enjoy seeing how it all plays out irrespective of who wins.

Reckon it's between NZ, Australia, Ireland and SA.

I do think the threat of France to the AB's has been hyped out of all sensible proportions!

2011 the players had strong leaders in Harinorduqouy and Yachvilli who took control of the dressing room away from Lievremont. The latter was then as Lancaster is now in using players out of position by omitting better players!!

The do not have those players who can do that now and with an equally bad coach. Interesting that Blanco is there in charge of PSA as those very same players were allowed by him to do the same at Biarritz and wrecked the club!!

Hanson says that this is not the same team as 2011 and the same goes for France. Difference is that NZ has improved with consistent good coaching whereas France has gone backwards with, surprisingly, consistency in coaching - bad coaching!!!

Ps I still see SA or Ireland as their only competition to retaining the cup!!

Last edited:
I have never known who is going to win this World Cup, the teams seem fairly evenly matched to me, all the top teams could beat the other on the day.

I guess the default option is New Zealand, but they've only won it twice in 7 attempts despite being favorites every time and the two wins they did manage were at home, and one of those was by a single point and owing something to a questionable refereeing so nothing's clear-cut for me. I'll enjoy seeing how it all plays out irrespective of who wins.

Rubbish, we were not favourites in 91, 99, 03, that's nearly 50% of RWC and we have won 2 out of the 3 we were genuine favourites for, so that's a pretty good effort, the choking tag is over-hyped.

Also I agree with Tony, the hype around France and NZ has been overstated. I would happily take the French over Ireland any day in the QF's.

Rubbish, we were not favourites in 91, 99, 03, that's nearly 50% of RWC and we have won 2 out of the 3 we were genuine favourites for, so that's a pretty good effort, the choking tag is over-hyped.

Also I agree with Tony, the hype around France and NZ has been overstated. I would happily take the French over Ireland any day in the QF's.
Is that how NZers remember 1999? Seriously? The odds in 1999 both at the beginning of the tournament and before the game against France were in NZ's favor. Check any non-french and non-nez zealand (to correct a bit for bias) newspaper from the time before that game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/rugby_world_cup/history/2966114.stm

NZ, Ireland, Aus, France in that order.
England, SA and Wales have outside chances.

That said NZ have far from secured it, just like most teams they will need to beat 3 quality teams in a row away from home. Anything can happen, even if you give them 75% odds of winning every single knock out game that still gives you a 40% chance of winning the entire cup. I know history doesn't count for much but the bottom line is that NZ has struggled to win WC's away from home in the past.

Inb4 food poisoning.

Edit: Maybe England get better odds with home advantage. Hard to say.

Last edited:
NZ, Ireland, Aus, France in that order.
England, SA and Wales have outside chances.

That said NZ have far from secured it, just like most teams they will need to beat 3 quality teams in a row away from home. Anything can happen, even if you give them 75% odds of winning every single knock out game that still gives you a 40% chance of winning the entire cup. I know history doesn't count for much but the bottom line is that NZ has struggled to win WC's away from home in the past.

Inb4 food poisoning.

I thought you guys looked very accomplished against Samoa. And I can only see you moving forwards (think Samoa) rather than back (think Japan).
I'd also bring Argentina in here. Probably wedge them in there alongside france.

NZ, RSA, Australia, France.

Too many people are writing off RSA too early. I don't think Ireland is a candidate. They might make it further than before, but no chance of winning.

Is that how NZers remember 1999? Seriously? The odds in 1999 both at the beginning of the tournament and before the game against France were in NZ's favor. Check any non-french and non-nez zealand (to correct a bit for bias) newspaper from the time before that game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/rugby_world_cup/history/2966114.stm

They were joint favorites in 2003 too. However they have been viewed pre-tournament, they were viewed as favorites for most of the games they have lost during those tournaments and that's what I was getting at, it's difficult to read too much into any predictions. Just have to see how it plays out.

My mind hasn't changed, I just fancy England even stronger now. I can only see England winning it, they actually played well and were slightly unlucky losers. They will come on bundles for that game and improve.

By process of elimination:

Wales are injury ridden and will struggle
SA currently aren't good enough, e.g Japan result
France just are not good enough
Ireland are overrated and have a dire record in this
AUS are hit and miss and blow hot n cold, don't fancy them
NZ are bottlerrs / chokers and can't win outside of NZ

They were joint favorites in 2003 too. However they have been viewed pre-tournament, they were viewed as favorites for most of the games they have lost during those tournaments and that's what I was getting at, it's difficult to read too much into any predictions. Just have to see how it plays out.
Sorry 2003 England were clear pre tournament favourites. NZ were second favourites sure but England were the team most people were backing.

My mind hasn't changed, I just fancy England even stronger now. I can only see England winning it, they actually played well and were slightly unlucky losers. They will come on bundles for that game and improve.

By process of elimination:

Wales are injury ridden and will struggle
SA currently aren't good enough, e.g Japan result
France just are not good enough
Ireland are overrated and have a dire record in this
AUS are hit and miss and blow hot n cold, don't fancy them
NZ are bottlerrs / chokers and can't win outside of NZ

Wow...

Rebuttle

Wales: Have a foot in the quarter final, beat Fiji and they're probably in which is more likely than a struggling Emgland side beating Aus.
SA: Will top the group, probably beat a broken Welsh side and the Japan result will be forgotten by the Semi.
France: I would agree but logic rarely follows the French.
Ireland: have beaten all but NZ in the last year and this tournament shows history means Jack!! (A second string Welsh side incl. here)
Aus: depends on next week, I fancy them after last night.
NZ: Come on.

I think all these sides but France and possibly Wales have a better chance of winning than England and all have a better chance of getting to the quarters.

England can only come back stronger. Id hate to be the green and gold facing a fired up England firing on all cylinders. Gatland should be fired. Fire fire fire. The flamin chariot is coming to get you will skeleton

Latest posts