• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

After just over a week, has your mind changed on who you think will win the Worl

All these posters saying NZ will romp in and no one else looks likely, they need to have there heads read.

This is a world cup and one bad game or even a lapse for 10 minutes will cost you the trophy.

I still think that it is anyones from NZ, SA, Aus or Ire, Wales look good but depth off squad may be there downfall, can't write England of yet either.

France will struggle to get past the qf's if they keep playing like they are.

This is certainly the world cup that the most amount of teams have a chance of winning, compared to previous world cups.

The favorites to win it now are the same as 2 weeks ago, 2 months ago, 6 months ago, 1 year ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago. All Blacks will be the favorite in every World Cup. They will decide this one against AUS. Everything else is smoking mirrors.

They were joint favorites in 2003 too. However they have been viewed pre-tournament, they were viewed as favorites for most of the games they have lost during those tournaments and that's what I was getting at, it's difficult to read too much into any predictions. Just have to see how it plays out.

You are saying things that are not true though.

We were not the favourites in 2003. England had beaten us twice prior to the Cup, and had also beat the Wallabies. They were a very good side. The other times were before I started watching rugby but I've heard they've been overblown too.

I don't mind admitting that we've under performed during some WCs given our depth and talent. But we've not always been scorching hot favourites. That's how the chokers myth gets circulated.

All these posters saying NZ will romp in and no one else looks likely, they need to have there heads read.

This is a world cup and one bad game or even a lapse for 10 minutes will cost you the trophy.

I still think that it is anyones from NZ, SA, Aus or Ire, Wales look good but depth off squad may be there downfall, can't write England of yet either.

France will struggle to get past the qf's if they keep playing like they are.

This is certainly the world cup that the most amount of teams have a chance of winning, compared to previous world cups.

Agreed. Japan showed us :p

Honestly, I'd be printing NZ 2015 on the cup as we speak if it were up to me. NZ winning this tournament is as clear as the likelihood of the sun rising tomorrow.

Honestly, I'd be printing NZ 2015 on the cup as we speak if it were up to me. NZ winning this tournament is as clear as the likelihood of the sun rising tomorrow.

Agree 1000%

Funnily enough Kiwis say this every time for last 20 years and yet they only won it one time in that period as 1/2 shots at home.

Funnily enough Kiwis say this every time for last 20 years and yet they only won it one time in that period as 1/2 shots at home.

Even more funny is that the English are about to be the first host team in rugby history to not make it out of the pool.

Even more funny is that the English are about to be the first host team in rugby history to not make it out of the pool.
oh yeah well we're only half way through the pool so there is still a lot of rugby to be played buddy. even funnier how the USA have never made it out of the pool?

oh yeah well we're only half way through the pool so there is still a lot of rugby to be played buddy. even funnier how the USA have never made it out of the pool?

There was a lot of rugby to be played a few weeks ago when all of you were talking your garbage. Two more weeks and you will be serving refreshments while watching another Southern hemisphere championship.

It is the most likely scenario as everyone has said, but far from certain. You're just making me want you guys to lose despite not harboring any ill-will towards NZ usually.
Three years ago the stars aligned, and the world champions that hadn't lost a game in 20, played uncharacteristically badly, while England played out of their socks and the ABs lost 38-21.

You may be the best team, but all it takes is one bad day and things can unravel and you're saying that it's a certainty NZ will win? I'm starting to think you're just a troll.

I'm still on the same teams I was at the start:
ABs, OZ, Ireland (in that order) with Argentina as my real long shot.

I've not seen anything to suggest otherwise at this stage with perhaps Scotland being the only team to really impress me albeit against weak opposition so far.

Big ups of course to Wales - injury free you'd have to think they have a shot too, but by all accounts they are struggling to even put a back line together now so I think they have played their tournament already.

I'm not that impressed with SA (haven't been for some time).

England look down right average.

France, I don't think can win 3 knock-outs in a row and probably will have to play the ABs in the Qs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see all Four Nations representatives progress to the semis.

After just over a week....

I'm not educated enough to answer this question & this is all brand new to me but I will say that I've become a fan of this sport. I kinda can't get enough at the moment. I've stated here before that I'm new to the sport and still learning. Mostly from this forum so - THANKS!

I think that the short answer to this question is: Anything can happen.

As an ABs fan, it doesn't even seem like we've really been part of this tournament so far. We played our hardest game in the first 3 days, then have (with all due respect) easy games for the rest of the pool round.
I look at what has gone on with other teams, and it seems to me that the RWC is wide open.
I said to a South African friend after the Japan loss that SA could go on to win the whole thing from here. I don't want that to happen, but its a definite possibility with the Boks.
Any team can win on their day.

If I had to pick the most likely I would say SA, Ireland, Australia and NZ.
I think teh England-Wales game has put paid to both those teams hopes. England will find it hard to beat Australia, and I would not be surprised to see Wales lose to Fiji in a couple of days. Even if Wales do win, I think the knock out stages might prove to be a bridge too far

A small minority say it and I cringe every time. I suspect a lot of it is just trolling. Also a lot can be put down to the nature of tournaments and an appalling lack of understanding of probability. The ABs could be 75% favourites to win each of their knockout matches and that means they will be champions only 42% of the time. It's not that hard to understand.

You see, it's like this - probability is a choker. Maths is a choker.

NZ vs Ireland final.

People are rating Australia, but they're actually terrible out of Sydney and Cheika has picked the wrong squad. Their 9 and 10 combinations won't see them through and they don't have the brains in the midfield. Poey and Hooper can only do so much.

Overrated team, overrated coach and one too many d!ckheads.

Latest posts