Another Bloody Ireland Thread

monkeypigeon

Bench Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Connacht
O'Callaghan and D'Arcy - Overpaid, Overage and Underperforming

Greetings dear followers of Monkeypigeon. You are in for a treat as I will now encourage a discussion based on my bedtime thought last night (well, before they changed from rugby to the suprise arrival of Zooey Deschanel in my innermind...).

As I see it, Ireland aren't far off picking a team that people will be happy with. We're only a couple more injuries away from getting it right (seeing as that seems to be what's required for deccie to do the right thing).

As things stand, the front row is the correct one. I won't argue with Court on the bench so long as 22 man squads are persisted with in international rugby plus I'd rather have the likes of Hagan getting 70 minutes for the provinces than 10 minutes of the bench during a mixed Pro12/international weekend.

I think people can argue either way about the backrow at the moment, start Ferris at six and there'll be no strong objections to whatever mixture of POM, SOB and Heaslip are picked at 7,8,sub.

People can argue either way about scrumhalf, Sexton is the starting 10 now, Earls has been very good at thirteen (though there are other options out there who might derserve a shot) and we have no short shortage of back three players.

What is wrong though is at second row and twelve. I don't think there's a living being outside of the Ireland coaching set-up who comprehends why Donnocha O'Callaghan is starting ahead of Ryan and why D'Arcy is being persisted with when arguably they shouldn't even be in the 22 or even the extended squad at this stage.

With all the criticism of DOC, people seem to overlook the D'Arcy nonsense. He dropped a simple pass against France when we had good territory in the last few minutes (I won't say it cost us a win...but that cost us (the oppertunity) to win). He pulled the same shite when he was given an easy pass in the second half against Scotland when he fumbled the pall despite having all the time in the world. His defence is now quite shabby and with the exception of one break against Wales he's offered nothing in attack. He's a player who's well and truely 'past it'. McFadden must be fuming on the bench since he serves bo real purpose in being there. Sexton seems to be the inside centre cover and Bowe adequate outside centre cover - so he never comes on in his natural position while there are players in Ireland who are natural back three players who given all cicumstances, be more sensible outside back sub calls. So there's an arugement for him not even being on the bench if he's not starting, despite the fact he should very obviously be starting.

Now the source of all this nonsense seems to be in the preference given to players on central contracts. And this has me wondering...why are D'Arcy and O'Callaghan even on central contracts? The purpose of these central contracts is largely (I would have thought) to stop top irish talent being tempted by French money (and in the pass English money). Yet despite the fact that these players are past it (and that trend has been evident or the last 2 years at least) they were given contracts. And even if the IRFu are desperate to keep these players in Ireland, the tax benefit for retiring sports persons already does that job adequatly for players of their age. Why bother give players of age 29+ plus central contracts unless they're either category (a) Really key players BOD, POC, Ferris or (b) front row players (because of their age and rarity in Ireland's case).

Thoughts on Ireland being nearly there team selection wise and arguable cracks emerging in thought process behind granting central contracts?

Earls has been very good at thirteen

we'll see about that when he comes up against Tuilagi ................

see pictures

Keith+Earls+Manu+Tuilagi+Ireland+v+England+d54_xCAwRail.jpg

ManuTuilagiIreSB_rdax_444x300.jpg

06ba5__54983309_englandtry640.jpg

Earls has been better than I expected at 13 I must admit, but I'd still rather see him on the wing. I think he has the potential to be a good centre, but he could be a great wing. Darren Cave should get the shirt.

I agree completely on the issue of 12. I like to wonder what would have happened if Fitzgerald hadn't pulled up injured before the All Blacks game down south in 2008. I think it sould be his shirt. He's got a good kicking game, a great step, good pace, good hands and is solid in defense. Everything that is required of a top class 12. McFadden is in my mind a stop gap measure.

Anyway, regarding the national team in general I'd argue that while we're it's not a very old team we are very stale. I'd like to see an entirely new management team in place first of all. The first team probably shouldn't change all that much, but our extended squad contains a lot of international journeymen (eg. Jenno, P Wallace, etc.). The introduction of the likes of Jamie Hagan, Dan Tuohy, Devin Toner, Paul Marshall, Chris Henry, Craig Gilroy, Eoin O'Malley, Simon Zebo, etc. could go a long way to freshening things up and getting people excite about supporting Ireland again. There's lots of talent coming through and it's about bloody time it was brought into the fold.

D'Arcy doesn't have a central contract. Mincer does, but D'Arcy doesn't.

O'Callaghan's justified his inclusion just about, Ryan's been better and we all knew he would be, but O'Callaghan hasn't been bad.

D'Arcy has been woeful. McFadden should be ahead of him. Wallace should be ahead of him. Downey should be ahead of him. Spence should be ahead of him. Christ, I'd go as far as picking Ian Whitten in front of him... very, very bad by D'Arcy, and everyone knew it was coming.

O'Callaghan's justified his inclusion just about, Ryan's been better and we all knew he would be, but O'Callaghan hasn't been bad.

D'Arcy has been woeful. McFadden should be ahead of him. Wallace should be ahead of him. Downey should be ahead of him. Spence should be ahead of him. Christ, I'd go as far as picking Ian Whitten in front of him... very, very bad by D'Arcy, and everyone knew it was coming.

He definitely has not been that bad. He's obviously not our best 12 anymore but not that bad. He has made his tackles btw and I can forgive the knock on in France. He shouldn't be in the 22 but people are going overboard.

He definitely has not been that bad. He's obviously not our best 12 anymore but not that bad. He has made his tackles btw and I can forgive the knock on in France. He shouldn't be in the 22 but people are going overboard.

He rea... ok, maybe a tad of hyperbole, but he's definitely bad. He contributes barely anything in attack, makes schoolboy errors and using ESPN's stats he's missed a tackle a game at least - made 32, missed 6 is the overall number, I should really compare that to the other 12s to be fair but it does not look good.

He rea... ok, maybe a tad of hyperbole, but he's definitely bad. He contributes barely anything in attack, makes schoolboy errors and using ESPN's stats he's missed a tackle a game at least - made 32, missed 6 is the overall number, I should really compare that to the other 12s to be fair but it does not look good.

The attack thing at least is definitely true and the schoolboy error thing is fair enough. I'm sure he's missed tackles but I'm not completely convinced by ESPN's stats. He's mad a huge amount of double tackles really helping Earls. However most of our other 12's could do this and contribute elsewhere.

The attack thing at least is definitely true and the schoolboy error thing is fair enough. I'm sure he's missed tackles but I'm not completely convinced by ESPN's stats. He's mad a huge amount of double tackles really helping Earls. However most of our other 12's could do this and contribute elsewhere.

Well I did mention the source because I agree they can be dodgy - but the Torygraph's stats page puts D'Arcy top of the Irish missed tackles with 5, and in the top ten for missed tackles in the tournament.

Well I did mention the source because I agree they can be dodgy - but the Torygraph's stats page puts D'Arcy top of the Irish missed tackles with 5, and in the top ten for missed tackles in the tournament.

I wonder how many came against Wales...

I agree completely on the issue of 12. I like to wonder what would have happened if Fitzgerald hadn't pulled up injured before the All Blacks game down south in 2008. I think it sould be his shirt. He's got a good kicking game, a great step, good pace, good hands and is solid in defense. Everything that is required of a top class 12. McFadden is in my mind a stop gap measure.

jerseys cheap Price
baseball cheap jersey
New York Jets Jerseys

Latest posts