• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia 27 vs England 17 FT

I hope to God he does,
We've got a decent pack (strength wise) there, and if Flatman was starting at Loosehead then it'd be pretty damn good, but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and Paynes link is made out of damp tissue paper

Why is Wilkinson on the bench?
Wilkinson mix-up adds to Aussies' embarrassment

MICK CLEARY

June 10, 2010 - 10:57AM
toby_flood1-420x0.jpg
First choice No.10 . . . Toby Flood. Photo: Getty Images

THE fault lines that appeared yesterday in Australia's preparations for the first Test at the Subiaco Oval on Saturday may not constitute a chasm, but they do suggest that everything in the Wallaby ranks is not as slick as they might like to think.
There was an embarrassing collapse of the disciplinary case against Gloucester lock, Dave Attwood, cited for two incidents of stamping in Tuesday's game against the Australian Barbarians, England successfully arguing that the matter had been procedurally bungled as the citing officer was Australian and therefore not independent.
Attwood, however, is likely to be warned by England about his future conduct and possibly suspended.
toby_flood-420x0.jpg
Jonny Wilkinson takes on Toby Flood at England training. Photo: Getty Images

As well as yesterday's slip-up, it seems that key members of the Wallaby squad seem wholly unaware that Jonny Wilkinson has been eclipsed in the England rankings by Toby Flood. "That would be a surprise if Jonny doesn't start," said Wallaby scrum-half, Will Genia, who is lobbying to convince his own coach, Robbie Deans, that he has fully recovered from a knee injury.
England will once again go with Flood, as they did in their last match of the Six Nations against France in Paris. In the side to be named today Danny Care will partner him at half-back while former New Zealand rugby league international, Shontayne Hape, will make his debut at inside centre, the only change in the back line. In the pack there will be three changes, Steve Thompson replacing injured hooker Dylan Hartley, Tom Palmer stepping in for Louis Deacon and Tom Croft getting the nod over James Haskell after missing the Six Nations with injury.
While Wilkinson's omission from the starting line-up is no surprise at home, it definitely is for Australians, who still identify him as the man who won the 2003 World Cup for England. The recent changeover in Paris gave England more creativity in midfield, greater subtlety and guile. Flood, however, is still very much on trial despite his 29 caps. The Leicester fly-half has to direct operations with the same assurance as he showed at the Stade de France. Wilkinson will be an asset on the bench, a cool head for the end-game.
Alongside Flood, England have been itching to see what Hape can deliver at this level. The 29 year-old has size and good hands although his kicking game is far from refined and his pace unthreatening. However, England believe their back three can prosper from his off-loading game. "He's a smart player, always one with that more time on the ball," England manager Martin Johnson said.
Australia also name their side today and are set to draft teenage full-back James O'Connor into the squad after his impressive hat-trick against England on Tuesday night. Even if Flood's presence suggests that England will be more expansive, wing Mark Cueto made the sensible point yesterday that they would be daft not to exploit their superiority up front. "Whether we're labelled boring or not, we'll go down that route," Cueto said. "The objective is to win. We know where we're strong."
England have summoned Northampton back-row forward Phil Dowson as a replacement for Hendre Fourie, who will return home with calf and ankle injuries.

ENGLAND:
B Foden (Northampton); M Cueto (Sale), M Tindall (Gloucester), S Hape (Bath), C Ashton (Northampton); T Flood (Leicester), D Care (Harlequins); T Payne (Wasps), S Thompson (Leeds), D Cole (Leicester), S Shaw (Wasps), T Palmer (Stade Francais), T Croft (Leicester), L Moody (Bath, capt), N Easter (Harlequins).

The Telegraph, London

_/_/_/

Stupid attempt to have a go at us but yeah explains the Wilkinson selection all the same.

Cheers for that Wally, it is indeed a surprise to me! As blasphemous as it is for me to say, Wilko seems like a great weapon for the Poms to use against us.

Wilkinson is pretty sh*t now ans is the only place where MJ admits he was wrong.

WHY THE HELL IS TIM PAYNE PROPING. HE IS ****. Honestly, I'd prefer anyone to him. Anyone.

He got a few minutes off the bench here and there but nothing substantial. You think they would have picked Weeks?

I was very surprised Weeks wasn't there - I assumed he must have picked up an injury during the baba's game, but can't find any evidence of this. I was sort-of expecting an all Queensland front-row : Daley-Faingaa-Weeks with Ma'afu on the bench. While I do rate Ma'afu ahead of Weeks, I think given the lack of experience at this level having known combinations would be important. Can Slipper play both sides of the scrum, while Weeks can't?

I will say its good to see Deans has continued to blood new players, rather than resorting to going back to Dunning or Baxter! (Good for Australian rugby anyway - as an AB supporter I would love it if they starting selecting Baxter again!)

Obviously a big blow, as Giteau is a fantastic player, but i rate Barnes as well, so it's a strong replacement imo
Roll on tomorrow morning!

Obviously a big blow, as Giteau is a fantastic player, but i rate Barnes as well, so it's a strong replacement imo
Roll on tomorrow morning!

This year Barnes has been well below par though. And he has already proven to be fairly incompatible with Quade Cooper which will be a worry

yeah thats true. he had a few good games but overall was pretty poor, hopefully it was a result of hickeys terrible game plan and that he will return to form under deans. it might suit him to play at centre so that cooper can run the show and therefore not kick good possession away like barnes did all year. good point about them not being compatible because they are very different players so will be very interesting to see how it goes! it probably didnt help him that for most of the season he had carter outside him, who is incapable of running holes. i guess worst case scenario could see oconnor at inside and beale or hynes fullback.

Big loss. As you said Barnes has been pretty scrappy this season. To be honest I'd like to see James O'Connor at inside as I believe it is his best position. He has always been a play maker I don't see too much merit in Robbie's obsession with playing him at fullback.

Ah, i didn't really see much S14 this year, so haven't seen him play for a while
How's his tackling? I imagine Shontayne Hape is pretty hard to put down

I seem to be the only person here who doesn't think Tim Payne is the antichrist.

I'm far more annoyed by Danny Care and Shontayne Hape... ok, slight lie, I'm nearly as annoyed about Payne. He's had a pretty decent season and doesn't deserve this onus but he isn't the man to tear into a rookie front row.

why is payne in over goulding???
youngs in over care and tindall 12 tait 13 to remove hape
shontayne shouldnt be playing capped for all black rugby league
i reckon england could upset the odds hear a turn of the tables could be at hand (and thats from an irishman!)

Didn't realise how un-experienced the Aussie front row,
Obviously they're going to be good players as they're playing for Australia, but maybe we won't get smashed as much up front?
I want to know why Flatman isn't in over Payne. Goulding is a good player, but with only one cap i wasn't expecting him to start against aus (was half expecting him on the bench), but Flatman is a cracking player, and played very well against the Australia Barbarians

I agree Tindall/Tait would be better than Hape/Tindall, doubt we'll see it though, as Tait will either come on for Tindall, or for a winger

Given a decent pack and a standoff who'll stand flat, Care can be one of the most dangerous halfbacks in rugby. My heart likes to think that with Flood instead of Jonny fecking Wilkinson he's got a chance of showing this, but sadly the gut feeling that he'll suffer again because Englands game plan will yet again be "10 stand deep, hoof the pill away".

Care could be a very good player, and can be already from time to time - but way too often in an England shirt his passing is slower than a prop after a night at the beers. Youngs has never shown any sign of that. He also knows Flood better.

And doesn't have appalling tackling stats.

And I wanted Waldouck/Tindall. Actually, I wanted Allen/Tindall, but Allen's mucking around with the Saxons...

By picking 100kg + centres Hape and Tindall, it points to England scrapping their (impotent) side to side game to be direct tonight. They'll try and smash Horne and Barnes, kick for territory, back their four strong lineout jumpers and try to gain points.

For me Toby Flood at flyhalf doesn't impress. He plays deep and has poor vision but has a long kicking game, so the preference for him over the more multipurpose Jonny Wilkinson is interesting.

The contest may well be the old England; field position, direct, points accumulation, against a Wallaby outfit full of verve and creativity. The Welsh referee becomes the key. If there is quick ruck ball, the Wallabies to win by at least 15.

Latest posts